PDA

View Full Version : Championship Manager forum

T-Bag
23-Sep-2004, 12:53
Basically Eidos owned the image rights to the CM series, this included the name.

Si Games who develop the game own the engine, the database, and basically every that made CM the game it was.

Eidos decided to develop CM5 on their own (i can't remember who exactly IS developing it) so it will look very similar to the previous Champ games but it will be VERY different.

Football Manager 2005 is essentially what Championship Manager 5 would have been is Si were still developing it. The beta demo for FM05 has just been realsed today, hence why i'm posting this now.

So therefore we have a problem in that the forum is for CM but we are discussing FM05.

So I would suggestion one of the following:

- New forum for Football Manager

- Name current champ forum to something like "Championship and Football Manager Series" - although that would be a bit like naming the CS forum to Unreal Tournament and Counterstrike

- Rename the Championship Manager forum to "Football Manager" - This would be a little unfair considering a new CM game is being made but it would aid my personal quest to stop people buying it

Fulmineus
23-Sep-2004, 12:56
Does it REALLY matter? :)

T-Bag
23-Sep-2004, 13:03
Yes it does.

Q-Target
23-Sep-2004, 13:07
Yes it does.

Fact of life T-bag - sometimes games change their names

T-Bag
23-Sep-2004, 13:08
Its 2 totally different games, it hasn't "changed its name"

Q-Target
23-Sep-2004, 13:12

Fact of life T-Bag - sometimes I just don't read anything you type

So, you are actually asking for a 2nd forum? Would it not be wiser to have a forum entitled "Football Management Games" which is all-encompassing?

Fulmineus
23-Sep-2004, 13:13
Who gives an arse? We all know to go to that forum to talk about footballery managementy type games anyway.

Q-Target
23-Sep-2004, 13:16
I certainly don't care. I gave up on CM at version 3 when it refused to let me take Swansea City to the premiership as I had done with ease in CM2. Dean Windass was the secret of my success in CM2 but he sucked peen in 3. Oops...got drawn into a football discussion and I feckin hate the game.

T-Bag
23-Sep-2004, 13:18

Fact of life T-Bag - sometimes I just don't read anything you type

So, you are actually asking for a 2nd forum? Would it not be wiser to have a forum entitled "Football Management Games" which is all-encompassing?

There are 2 games to be released:

Football Manager 2005 - This game is made by the same people who made Championship Manager (Si Games)

Championship Manager 5 - Eidos owned the rights to the name of this game, binned Si Games and are now about to cash in on the brand name (one of the most sucessful selling PC games in this country) by producing a totally gash game.

Now after typing that I realise I mis-read what you typed :P

Football Managerment Games would be ok. As it stands people will be talking about a totally different game on the forum, but the name still causes confusion and helps line the pockets of the money grabbing bastards at Eidos.

To any fans of the previous Champ series who know what is going on, the n yes this is a big issue... To those who don't know whats going on it will aid them in buying the wrong game out of ignorance.

Fulmineus
23-Sep-2004, 13:21
No-one buys games anyway these days.

Especially nice kind ones which don't require a cd key.

(disclaimer: in no way supporting warez, just stating a fact)

T-Bag
23-Sep-2004, 13:24
Previous Champ games have been the only games I've bought in the last 4 years.

Duffeh
23-Sep-2004, 22:41
I'm with T-Bag, either change the name of the forum, or give us a new one. I aint being associated with no half arsed crap made by Eidos.

munk
23-Sep-2004, 22:48
What T-bag said, it leads to confusion.

Championship manager is now an altogether separate title.

Football Manager is the game we will all be playing, delete the CM one for all we care ;)

wooly-back-jack
23-Sep-2004, 23:17
I think the forum should be renamed as mentioned,
maybe just a simple "Football manager games" :P
I also think there should be a sticky in said forum warning people of the differences between the 2 titles so lots of poor buggers dont go out and buy the champ man by mistake.

T-Bag
23-Sep-2004, 23:59
The sanity brigade arrives :D

munk
24-Sep-2004, 00:01
No-one buys games anyway these days.

Especially nice kind ones which don't require a cd key.

(disclaimer: in no way supporting warez, just stating a fact)

I buy all cm (now FM) ;) games as a mark of respect and to support a good set of developers... like farcry (woops)

Nor
24-Sep-2004, 00:11
Don't think its ridiculous to suggest that the forum name should be representative of the forums content.

See if you can come up with a suitable name for the forum and we'll get it changed.

munk
24-Sep-2004, 00:15
Football Manager ? :)

For old times sake (and just incase eidos pull off a miracle and make a decent game in 3 months) maybe keep the champman forum too.

velvet
25-Sep-2004, 17:39
I've changed the name of the forum to "Football Management". The purpose of picking something neutral is so that people who might foolishly buy the Eidos Champ Manager can visit the forum and realise the error of their ways before parting with cash.

Once Champ Man 5 is dead and buried we can call it Football Manager Series or something like that.

munk
25-Sep-2004, 19:05
fair does!

Norphy
26-Sep-2004, 00:08
What if CM5 actually turns out to be OK? What then? :P

BBW
26-Sep-2004, 00:16
so it's a forum for a series of games that date back 5 versions, four of which are called Championship Manager and one is called Football Manager, wouldn't it make sense to go with the majority? 4/1?

Also, CM5 IS crap, as was CM4 :) wtf is with that engine? lol? I nearly did.

T-Bag
26-Sep-2004, 01:01
CM4 had problems, 03/04 was great.

so it's a forum for a series of games that date back 5 versions, four of which are called Championship Manager and one is called Football Manager, wouldn't it make sense to go with the majority? 4/1?

No, because they are 2 different games.

Anyway the forum has been renamed.

munk
26-Sep-2004, 04:07
is it rude to call people retards ?

Eja Cool8
26-Sep-2004, 04:21
You mean a free-falling air-dropped munition with drag plates that slow its descent? :)