PDA

View Full Version : "no negative posts in the music forum"

Sonic Samurai
10-Oct-2004, 09:55
I mean, wtf is that all about!!? You only able to post about bands you like or something? this is ridiculous!

Bilbo Fraggins
10-Oct-2004, 10:46
noted, R763402-14553 :D
Next you won't be able to talk politics in the Current Affairs forum :P

Sonic Samurai
10-Oct-2004, 10:46
innit.

Valheru_-
10-Oct-2004, 10:56
TBH promote what music you like. Why bother post negative stuff about stuff you dont like. Ive seen in other forums people starting topics with "who hates (insert genre here(usually RnB nowadays)" and I think why bother.

But this is a forum and forums are here to have your say. But rules are rules. The rules are trying to get rid of the useless spam like "hip hop sucks" and stuff like that. Im sure good critisism is allowed in the music forum.

moron
10-Oct-2004, 10:58
I'm far from clear as to what actually happened in the music forum right at the moment, but my understanding of the issue was that people were finding posts that simply said "S Club 7 are [censored]" don't add anything to a discussion and end up getting snidey and flamey..

Something like "S Club 7 don't really do it for me, I can't stand their manufactured teenage sex appeal image (what is it with the music industries constant pushing of such sexual images onto children?) and they just seem to be another example of a bunch of talentless individuals not worth the time of day" which expands upon your dislike of a band yet remains purely negative engenders discussion rather than abuse..

So I can see what is being got at, its an attempt to lead away from one line snotty answers and get a bit more debate going in there.. But that all said, I don't know specifics so may be way off the mark.. I do think its a reasonable idea though..

Sonic Samurai
10-Oct-2004, 11:26
what's the point in having a discussion forum if you are censoring negative points of view? why not call it a "let's all agree and nod our heads like the fucking brady bunch" forum?

Pulse
10-Oct-2004, 11:30
Thats not the point elrond, the point is all it is is a point of view without substance or reason which evolves into a flame. Its pointless. If you wanna be constructive about it then by all means give your critisism just dont post "X is <insert swear word hear>".

T-Bag
10-Oct-2004, 11:36
Its because people are having a discussion about a band and someone just comes along and says "ffs they are crap" or something. (ie - you)

Sonic Samurai
10-Oct-2004, 11:39
pulse is shit.

Seriously, if that's my opnion why should I be denied it?

T-Bag
10-Oct-2004, 11:45
In certain situations it serves no purpose to just interupt a thread to post an irrelevant comment saying they are rubbish without any kind of reasoning.

Its like me posting in every thread saying "I don't care about this thread" - its just pointless.

Of course situations arise where you may want to post reasoned negative comments but where you draw the line I aint got a clue.

TheBuZZard
10-Oct-2004, 11:46
Whos starting on S club?!?!?!! They rock!!! :P

I think the "ffs they suck" threads ban is agreat idea, music taste is a personal thing, I mean some people actually like Dido. Is starting a thread on how I hate Dido going to change their minds? or would it just be a pointless arguement? Much better having threads about albums people have bought and want to share how much thye like them, or even ones they are disappointed with, but with reasons not just to rant.

LordDefendA
10-Oct-2004, 11:48
I can understand the no dissing bands rule, its kinda pointless.

the funkmaster
10-Oct-2004, 11:56
However, the "I like The Spoonfuls of Cinnamon" posts tend to be just as pointless (though more harmless). Always elaborate, is the answer.

Hapless
10-Oct-2004, 12:01
Surely that would be better suited to the Food and Drink forum?

Sonic Samurai
10-Oct-2004, 12:02
the reason most bands are awful can be copied and pasted from one thread to another. These are - manufactured band, image driven marketing, bland and uninspiring music.

I appreciate that popular music is called popular because it sells the most, because it appeals to the teen/pre-teen girl market ... what I find most difficult to understand is that a forum full of largely 20something males can stomach that shit.

Pulse
10-Oct-2004, 13:36
pulse is shit.

No your opinion its self should not be denied but all its going to do is provoke a flame war and with nothing other to go on that "pulse is ****" you dont have a very strong arguement. Hence you dont post it.

Lungboy
10-Oct-2004, 13:39

You aren't being denied it at all, you just have to expound on why you think it. Not much to ask for.

Harry Palmer
10-Oct-2004, 18:05
A bit like "dead game" in the CS forum, just makes the poster look stupid, but we just smile, ignore it and carry on :)

Matt
10-Oct-2004, 19:47
Er, this is silly. No other forum stops people from saying Doom 3 is shit for example.

I've noticed this a lot before. There is a certain type of person that simply cannot hear anything bad said about "their" band/group/artist/whatever without getting a major ape-shit session started. Its pretty pathetic. No other forum has this stupid rule (as far as I know) where you can only say positive things or nothing.

Smoo
10-Oct-2004, 19:57
Problem is, SS visits the music forum a lot, and whenever someone says something is shit that he likes, he produces many verbal attacks on people. Somehow, he does it when it's the other way about too...

Heartwork
10-Oct-2004, 20:04
I've made it clear before why I've placed this rule onto the music forum.

Basically, it's as moron said, and furthered by Its because people are having a discussion about a band and someone just comes along and says "ffs they are crap" or something. (ie - you).

I have to say, SS, you might feel that this rule is hitting against you a lot - fact of the matter is, it is. And that's cause most other people justify their views or keep them to theirselves. You just hit in with 'x band are shit'. It's needless and it helps no one, as i've explained to you before, and i'm just sick of seeing it. And i'm pretty sure people looking for help about a band or whatever on the forum are sick of seeing that as a reply too.

burundi
10-Oct-2004, 21:48
Seems a simple, fair and easy to understand rule to me. Few forums are as dependant on personal taste as the music forum.

and wtf is wrong with Dido, hippy! ;)

Noodles
11-Oct-2004, 00:32
Thankyou Harry, I believe thats my cue...

http://www.btinternet.com/~octowin/dg.jpg

Hotel2Tango
11-Oct-2004, 01:22
the reason most bands are awful can be copied and pasted from one thread to another. These are - manufactured band, image driven marketing, bland and uninspiring music.

I appreciate that popular music is called popular because it sells the most, because it appeals to the teen/pre-teen girl market ... what I find most difficult to understand is that a forum full of largely 20something males can stomach that shit.Yup, Biffy Clyro are definately a "manufactured band, image driven marketing, bland and uninspiring music". The pre-teens just love their obscure indie-rock bands :/

A quick glance at the Music forum's thread titles (http://www.trickery.net/bb/viewforum.php?f=40) reveals only a couple of such bands. One of which was started by you to claim that they were homosexuals :/ Check the "What music did you buy today? (http://www.trickery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=13184)" thread. Largely the bands mentioned in the forums are proper bands (whether you like them or not), and manufactured pop gets remarkably little attention.

There is no "no negative posts in the music forum" rule. There is only a rule against your type of "Your musical taste is Wrong, mine is Right" posts. You believe there is no objective morality, but believe in an objective music taste (that coincidently matches your tastes...)?

Sparky
15-Oct-2004, 00:47
If you're going to ban "SClub is shit" posts, then you should ban "SClub is good" posts too.

If there is a worth in it all, then it would be looking at the number of "SClub is shit" posts and comparing it to the number of "SClub is good" posts and hence coming to some sort of conclusion as to the average opinion - but banning one opinion kind of breaks this.

If someone says a band is shite, then... to be honest that doesn't bother me much - even if I like that band. It obviously makes some people here cry tho' if SClub is said to be shite :/

Everyone should be able to post their opinion good or bad imo.

burundi
15-Oct-2004, 08:55
Everyone should be able to post their opinion good or bad imo.

They are able to, good or bad all that is asked is some justification for that opinion, not a lot to ask is it :/

Sparky
15-Oct-2004, 19:42
They are able to, good or bad all that is asked is some justification for that opinion, not a lot to ask is it :/

Perhaps you should demand justification for "good opinions" as well? :)

moron
15-Oct-2004, 19:56
Yeah! :)

TheBuZZard
16-Oct-2004, 10:41
More annoying than people saying stuff is crap for no reason is the people who say stuff is crap because its popular. For a very vocal minority of people in the music forum a good reasons to hate a band are because they - get played on the Radio more than once, sell more than 5 copies of albums, were founded after 1979, etc.

Sonic Samurai
16-Oct-2004, 11:42
if a band is popular then it usually means that the lyrics are pointless and easy access, the music is uninventive and simple, and there is little to no direction, meaning or intention to the music. many reasons to hate it.

TheBuZZard
16-Oct-2004, 11:42
cheers for helping me make my point ;)

Sonic Samurai
16-Oct-2004, 11:52
you're very welcome. now stop listening to shit music.

TheBuZZard
16-Oct-2004, 11:58
Dont you ever realise how the crap you post makes you look so stupid? Thats the reason explicit rules like this are needed, some people just dont have the brains to make a sensible arguement.

Sonic Samurai
16-Oct-2004, 13:10
Dont you ever realise how the crap you post makes you look so stupid? Thats the reason explicit rules like this are needed, some people just dont have the brains to make a sensible arguement.

or spell argument either, apparently. three things factor here:

1) "Brains" or intelligence are not at the heart of my last comment but ARE discussed in my previous post reference the content of popular music.

2) My appearance to forum users is of little significance to me. To suggest for one second that I remotely give a toss about what you have to say is ridiculous. You are not significant, and neither are the other users of this or any other forum. Get over yourself.

3) "More annoying than people saying stuff is crap for no reason is the people who say stuff is crap because its popular" was your first statement, which was responded to with "if a band is popular then it usually means that the lyrics are pointless and easy access, the music is uninventive and simple, and there is little to no direction, meaning or intention to the music". If you can't make the link between those comments then please take yourself to the local zoo where you will be eaten by something more intelligent than you.

Pulse
16-Oct-2004, 13:18
You are not significant, and neither are the other users of this or any other forum. Get over yourself.

Yet you are so very eager to make sure that you are not denied your opinion. Does this mean you are big headed and that only your self matters?

Edit: It also backs up the reason why you just run around with your "X is <swear here>" Its because quite simply you arent interested in discussion at all. Why do you even waste your time?

TheBuZZard
16-Oct-2004, 13:19
1) "Brains" or intelligence are not at the heart of my last comment

Or any of your comments?

2) My appearance to forum users is of little significance to me. To suggest for one second that I remotely give a toss about what you have to say is ridiculous. You are not significant, and neither are the other users of this or any other forum. Get over yourself.

Why bother posting here then? Why respond? We are obviously so far beneath you.
I have given up trying to debate anything with you on the music forum as you are incable of realising people have different tastes and views. People post stuff about all sorts of music I dont care for but I dont always have to post "ffs thats crap" just because I dont like it. Why do you?

3) "More annoying than people saying stuff is crap for no reason is the people who say stuff is crap because its popular" was your first statement, which was responded to with "if a band is popular then it usually means that the lyrics are pointless and easy access, the music is uninventive and simple, and there is little to no direction, meaning or intention to the music". If you can't make the link between those comments then please take yourself to the local zoo where you will be eaten by something more intelligent than you.

The link is no more than a sweeping generalisation. Which does you no favours.

Orange
16-Oct-2004, 13:25
Buzzard, what you've got to bear in mind is that life's passing Elrond by, and he's now stuck in a dead-end job that he perceives to be inappropriate for a man of his intelligence. Hence, this forum provides a nice little outlet for him to vent his inferiority complex out on the rest of the world. The TA also helpfully fufills this role as well. Elrond's so pissed off at being shat on by his managers every day of the week that he feels the need to introduce a similar sort of behaviour on this forum. Its a small price to pay to keep him off the streets.

NWA
16-Oct-2004, 14:23
inferiority = superiority (i.e. he thinks he's more important than he really is). Someone with an inferiority complex seeks social approval, for all his faults Elrond can't be accused of that.

Matt
16-Oct-2004, 14:32
Frankly if you are rating music on its accessible lyrics and simple structure or direction, meaning etc you aren't appreciating music for what it is, you're just trying to be some sort of "real music aficionado" who thinks "good" music is music that is not in the mainstream because the 13 yer old kids cant understand it because its SO DEEP AND MEANINGFUL THEY CANT POSSIBLY GET THEIR PUNY UNSOPHISTICATED MINDS TO APPRECIATE IT!

Expand your musical horizons beyond some random indie music before you start going on about what makes music good please.

Sonic Samurai
16-Oct-2004, 14:47
Why bother posting here then? Why respond? We are obviously so far beneath you.
I consider it a public service.
I have given up trying to debate anything with you on the music forum as you are incable of realising people have different tastes and views.
Not true, I fully accept that people have different tastes. Some people have fairly good taste (not many, though); they are the ones worth listening to, people like Heartwork and Sysagent. Most of the rest of you are shitheads.
People post stuff about all sorts of music I dont care for but I dont always have to post "ffs thats crap" just because I dont like it. Why do you?
Boredom.

Sonic Samurai
16-Oct-2004, 14:48
Orange, NWA ... you're trying to play me at my own game. Stop it, it's futile.

Sonic Samurai
16-Oct-2004, 14:50
Frankly if you are rating music on its accessible lyrics and simple structure or direction, meaning etc you aren't appreciating music for what it is, you're just trying to be some sort of "real music aficionado" who thinks "good" music is music that is not in the mainstream because the 13 yer old kids cant understand it because its SO DEEP AND MEANINGFUL THEY CANT POSSIBLY GET THEIR PUNY UNSOPHISTICATED MINDS TO APPRECIATE IT!

Expand your musical horizons beyond some random indie music before you start going on about what makes music good please.

music, like any artform, is about creativity and passion. WHERE THE HELL IS THE CREATIVITY AND PASSION in a popular music track that is the audio equivalent of thames valley water, passing through 11 or 12 bands before you get to hear it? That's not ART, it's MERCHANDISING, and if you're too fucking naive or stupid to notice then that's your problem.

TheBuZZard
16-Oct-2004, 14:54
If the reason is boredom, why not spend time to make well thought out intelligent points? You have given no excuse for your abusive, petty and mostly pointless comments. If you are as great and clever as you claim why are the retorts like "Most of the rest of you are shitheads" the best you can think of?

BBW
16-Oct-2004, 15:01

music, like any artform, is about creativity and passion. WHERE THE HELL IS THE CREATIVITY AND PASSION in a popular music track that is the audio equivalent of thames valley water, passing through 11 or 12 bands before you get to hear it? That's not ART, it's MERCHANDISING, and if you're too ****ing naive or stupid to notice then that's your problem.

Sorry but your talking shit. One man's vision of "CREATIVITY AND PASSION" is another man's idea of twaddle, basically.

Take classical music, I don't much care for it, I cannot see the passion or creativity of most of it, I only tend to like classical music as movie soundtracks. The Proms? No thanks.

However, I understand that some people love it and certain pieces make some men weep, great. Enjoy, just not for me.

They are not, however, naive or stupid. They are merely in posession of a different opinion to mine.

You are so concieted that you fail to accept that there are differing opinions to your own.

Sonic Samurai
16-Oct-2004, 15:02
If the reason is boredom, why not spend time to make well thought out intelligent points? You have given no excuse for your abusive, petty and mostly pointless comments. If you are as great and clever as you claim why are the retorts like "Most of the rest of you are shitheads" the best you can think of?

I don't claim to be anything; I am what I am and if you think that's great and clever then thank you, but that's not how I see it. I use this, and many other forums, out of boredom. The problem with pouring one's intellect, or emotional content into a forum post should be obvious; it's largely wasted or used as a tool to beat you about the head with. Nevertheless, I have some online associates who use this forum and I like to use it to keep in communications with them. The rest of you are merely (un?)fortunate enough to share my virtual company.

Sonic Samurai
16-Oct-2004, 15:04
You are so concieted that you fail to accept that there are differing opinions to your own.

You're so conceited that you failed to read up three posts before chucking your worthless rhetoric in the pot :)

Hotel2Tango
16-Oct-2004, 16:01
Regardless of whether you actually like classical (I dont much) it undeniable is vastly creative and passionate. Some composer has slaved away over a stave and a piano for weeks to make the music, then orchestras of incredible talent perform it.

Whereas manufactutred pop music is just a cynical attempt to make money out of the large disposable income of teenagers. I suppose writing pop songs/tunes that are designed to appeal to as many of the target market as possible is quite skilled, and I guess the dancers who mouth the words are probably very well trained and the marketing department's media savvy certainly is very successful. But for all these people it is just a job for them, it is not art. If they were not getting payed they would not do it: this is what separates them from artists.

Q-Target
16-Oct-2004, 17:13
*ahem* Ideas and feedback noted...thank you for your time and consideration...please help yourselves to the complimentary nuts and souvenirs from the concessions stand on your way out.