PDA

View Full Version : Who are you? What do you do? What's your taste?

fab
30-Nov-2003, 19:56
I thought this post would be a good way to find some like-minded people on these forums. Yes the subject title makes it look rather scary but please, post some information about yourself :)

I've been using Photoshop for about 3 years but have loved art for as long as I can remember. I'm 18 and doing Art A-level at school.

I got into Photoshop to draw website designs but then moved into more interesting graphic arts. I have worked with other applications such as Photopaint, Fireworks, Flash etc, but Photoshop has to be the best :). Nowadays I prefer to use traditional pencils and paints to do my work as digital art can be quite limiting. I also love photography and am thinking of doing it at university, I'm also considering Architecture (for the pay :)). But before uni I'll do an Art & Design foundation year which will be a good excuse to get stoned, watch cult movies and dress like an idiot. At the moment I earn a little cash doing the odd graphic for a freelance web developer.

My favourite art at the moment has to be Expressionism or Abstract Expressionism. Pollock, Bacon, Schiele are probably my favourites. I'm not keen on alot of digital art as it doesn't usually apply to everyone, I find using paints allows a much stronger expression.

F|E|S|T
04-Dec-2003, 01:58
Lo...

I'm also into me computer arts! Have a btec in fine art and I'm currently in the final months studying multimedia at Bath uni learning web design, 2d/3d animation, graphics, video, cd production etc etc... I think my favourite is animation and would like to get into that side more. I use most of the programs, p/shop, illustrator, after fx, dir, mx suite, 3dsmax-(which I'm still trying to get my head around).

As for artists, I favour the work by Sol LeWitt, Morris Louis along with movements op & pop art. Theres many more but its late & my brain hurts.

Would love to see some of your work... I'd put a link up for mine but I'm currently in the process of building my site. Will do so tho when its finished.

Check out another site I created and maitain for myself and a group of mates;

http://www.bumpkincrew.co.uk

fab
05-Dec-2003, 20:10
I didn't realise there was a Photoshop CS :)
Hopefully someone else can help you out on this one.

I love animation, I wish it was more accessible. I don't have a clue where to find good films on the internet and there's nothing good on TV...

NovaCat
03-Jan-2004, 19:26
Ive been using photoshop for bout year now,but then i move on to 3d design and im using Brcye 5 still use PsP to finsh it it off.

Check out some of my stuff at
www.novacat.co.uk

Hamster
04-Jan-2004, 15:53
Mature student ( aye, right..), traditional art background (spent a few years at art college in the 90's), now back studying computer animation / digital media.

I've been twatting about with computer graphics since ye olde days of NeoPaint on the Atari ST and I've dabbled with loads of applications and mastered none. Got back into the 'puter side of things a while back playing about with Valve Hammer then Milkshape, then a magial mystery tour of demos, coverdisks, freeware and whatnot. Got completely sucked in and decided to get my arse back to college to study this stuff.

Tastes? Hmmm I loathe all that Turner prize bollocks, don't really have a favourite but I lean towards the classical / pre-raphaelite/ impressionist end of things. JW Waterhouse is probably the closest I have to a fave traditional painter.
http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/contents.asp

As far as more modern artists go, I'm a big fan of Mark Harrison, comic book artist who worked for 2000ad and Dark Horse comics. Really like the way he combines traditional media with pooters. ( he drew the newer Durham Red and Glimmer Rats strips amongst others. )
http://www.2000adonline.com/
I'm probably more influenced by films and books than anything else though.

Currently playing about with Softimage XSI, Wings, Cinema 4D and of course Photoshop.

Morba
04-Jan-2004, 16:25
Not creative in the slightest when it comes art tbh, however i do appreciate it.

tho atm ive got a thing for real skyline pics. currently have new york (pre wtc incident) / las vegas / egyptian pyramids on my walls at home.

MALLET
04-Jan-2004, 17:11
One thing i hate about this PC arty farty stuff is the bulk of the tutorials out there are either for photoshop or3dmax :roll which is nice seeing as i don`t have a big wad of cash or broadband to get it :(

ps i also hate the general awkwardness of most programs :)

F|E|S|T
04-Jan-2004, 19:23
I know what you mean, I'd love to have a licenced version of Maya but its in the region of 3-5000. I could buy a blimming car with that. But unfortunately it seems if I want to make the most of my course I've studied and aim high in the profession then I'm gonna have to start sheding out for them. Altho I've most the desktop pub. and animation ones.

I took this skyline one night, not bad for just a 'quickie' I thought.
http://www.bumpkincrew.co.uk/photos/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=Artwork%2Fsky2.jpg

Yeah I remember the old Atari ST and the good'ol paint programs :D Your better off learning Maya tho Hamster as thats the industry standard. I went to Aardman studios before xmas & they informed us that Maya is the way forward in terms of 3d programs and that no-one uses SoftImage in the 'real world'. Just a tip ;)

Morba
04-Jan-2004, 23:06
wasnt a version of maya distributed with ut2003?

My brother in law was invited to go do some sound stuff for Aardman, but he felt that it would take the fun out of his hobby.

Hamster
04-Jan-2004, 23:53
Yeah I remember the old Atari ST and the good'ol paint programs :D Your better off learning Maya tho Hamster as thats the industry standard. I went to Aardman studios before xmas & they informed us that Maya is the way forward in terms of 3d programs and that no-one uses SoftImage in the 'real world'. Just a tip ;)

Thing is mate, 3d peeps tend to get a bit evangelical about their proggy of choice and a bit snidey about all the others, understandable really if you've shelled out a huge wad of cash for a licence. I'd agree Maya and ( especially for games ) Max are the most widely used at the mo , but there's more XSI out there than you'd think. Basically, they all do the same things, just in different ways.

Konami for instance, just switched their whole game school over to it as did Valve for HL2 ( note that HL2 will be shipping with a freebie version, and I'd expect the mod scene for that to be quite healthy= thousands of new users overnight..), Capcom and Square ( although Square still model in Maya I believe ) also Infogrammes, ILM and SEGA are now switching to it ;)
http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Mag/CS/
^
XSI propoganda.. ;) although I could easily produce a similar list of cracking stuff made in most apps, point is apps are not that important.

XSI is a whole different kettle of fish than the original Softimage btw, seriously..fully customisable everything, rendertrees, full Mentalray integration, it is the dogs bollocks imo..get the free EXP version and see for yourself. Christ, I've become a fanboy!

Thats the 3.0 version btw, they're up to 3.5 now..
http://www.softimage.com/products/exp/v3/

Here's what a random assortment of students, industry pros and noobs had to say about XSI recently..this includes guys who actually work at Valve and similar "L337" places, so it's probably worth seeing what they have to say about it..
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104225

End of the day, I'll use whatever gets the job done. Modelling is modelling, only real diff is the workflow and you can configure most of the high end apps pretty much how you want them anyway. If someone hires me it's not like I'll get to choose which app to use so I'll be familiarising myself with as many as I can.

It's not the tools I say, it's what you do with them. Jimi Hendrix would make better noises with a 100 strat copy and a practice amp than I would with a top of the range Ibanez and Marshall stack y'know?

btw, Fest, you can get a learning edition of Maya from their webby or probably from a coverdisk ( check the "links" topic in here for the exact url. Watermarked renders and a freaky file format, might be good if you just want to learn though.. )

F|E|S|T
05-Jan-2004, 02:45
I understand where your coming from and that everyone has their favourites etc when it comes to software, and its not "what" you use but "how" you use it. I was simply passing on a word of advice I was given from what I think is quite a reliable source in the industry. They did string off a long list of technical reasons as to why Max & Softimage is not the 'future' in terms of 3d rendering programs. This is not a reflection on my own opinion as I don't feel I have enough knowlage yet to cast one.

I have used Softimage briefly and do use 3dmax, I have an ed copy of Maya which I'm now 'trying' to learn so that I can at least extend my skills set as unfortunatley in the IT/comp arts industry thats what you have to do to keep getting the work.

;)

But I'd love to hear some more on the stuff you do and the sort of work you get in. Just out of interest really as I'm just joining the industry and its useful to know other peoples experiences etc.

F|E|S|T

Hamster
05-Jan-2004, 17:12
I But I'd love to hear some more on the stuff you do and the sort of work you get in. Just out of interest really as I'm just joining the industry and its useful to know other peoples experiences etc.
F|E|S|T

I'm not in the industry mate, I'm just a student / hobbyist and most of college so far has consisted of memorising hotkeys and extremely dry technical notes on shadow quality vs rendertime, fun stuff like that.. :P

I suppose we have to get all that out of the way though and I do get to play with the fun bits in my free time.

F|E|S|T
06-Jan-2004, 01:31
Ah I see, soz my mistake!

Yeah, I feel with my course I've spent most of the time learning how to use all the software, then just picking up the design skills along the way. I leave in May and I know theres still loads that I've not even began to look at. Tiz' never ending :|

Hamster
06-Jan-2004, 15:21
Tiz' never ending

Yer not wrong.

Hamster
07-Jan-2004, 21:26
One thing i hate about this PC arty farty stuff is the bulk of the tutorials out there are either for photoshop or3dmax

Timmy, there are tons of tutorials out there for almost anything if you know where to find em, which programs were you after specifically?

:roll which is nice seeing as i don`t have a big wad of cash or broadband to get it :(

Plenty small / free downloads too. Go for coverdisk freebies as well, some of them are cool. Not industry standard sure, but fun to twat about with anyway. Most of the free 3d stuff in the "links" thread is pretty teeny, I know because I downloaded most of them on 56k dial up on a shabby software modem..Wings and Cinema4d off a coverdisk = 3mb download and a fiver total?

ps i also hate the general awkwardness of most programs :)

No argument there.

MALLET
07-Jan-2004, 22:50
Plenty small / free downloads too. Go for coverdisk freebies as well, some of them are cool. Not industry standard sure, but fun to twat about with anyway. Most of the free 3d stuff in the "links" thread is pretty teeny, I know because I downloaded most of them on 56k dial up on a shabby software modem..Wings and Cinema4d off a coverdisk = 3mb download and a fiver total?

yep done that already :)

Last time i tried one of the personal editions off a cover disk it wouldn`t work on win98 :!: and i don`t think t he UT2k3 thing worked either.

MALLET
07-Jan-2004, 22:55
ps i also hate the general awkwardness of most programs

No argument there.

theres a program called amapi3d which does simple stuff quick and easy unfortunately it`s rendering sucks and u`ll get nothing very good in the way of animating etc but it is good to build a model then export to another program which is another annoying thing about modelling which is having to use a billion programs to get the job done :roll:

While im at it is truespace,and i think a program called carrera, the only modellling programs to have a physics engine in them?

Hamster
08-Jan-2004, 14:33
[quote]
Last time i tried one of the personal editions off a cover disk it wouldn`t work on win98 :!: and i don`t think t he UT2k3 thing worked either.

A lot of them won't work on 98..:/ If by the "UT2k3 thing" you mean the maya version that shipped with it, then, nope I believe that's 2000 or higher only. Cinema4DCE works on Me, so I assume that'll be fine on 98, it's pretty nice.
I've been making the models in Wings then bunging them into that to render them, works quite well for me and neither is exactly a memory hog so you can switch between them easily even on a rubbish pc.

Also, a lot of the Cinema plugins written for commercial v6.0 work fine with the free edition, so you can get plugins for hair, fur, lightdomes, all sorts.

theres a program called amapi3d which does simple stuff quick and easy unfortunately it`s rendering sucks and u`ll get nothing very good in the way of animating etc but it is good to build a model then export to another program

I have that on a disk somewhere, never got round to installing it though.

While im at it is truespace,and i think a program called carrera, the only modellling programs to have a physics engine in them?

I'm not sure what you mean by physics engine? I do know Blender had a sort of "game physics" engine that would detect collisions betwwen objects, gravity and so on, most of them support particles with wind, deflectors, gravity and that kind of thing.

Never used Truespace, I have Carrara studio but never used it much, looks interesting though, it renders things like fire, clouds and all that with minimum fuss and no faffing around with plugins, renders take aaaages on this comp though, might look at it again in a few months when I have more time and a decent comp. It kinda reminds me of Bryce, there's a strange interface and a lot of preset shaders, but it has poly tools as well.

DarkStar
08-Jan-2004, 23:26
Been using Photoshop for about a year and a half and bryce for a month or two. Thats all i need baby ^_^

F|E|S|T
09-Jan-2004, 00:32
I've never used Bryce b4 but keep hearing it mentioned, where can I get a copy from to give it a go? Are you using an ed version or full?

DarkStar
09-Jan-2004, 00:42
full version can be obtained from any of the P2P networks or bit torrent try www.suprnova.org
btw bryce is NOT primarily a 3d prog, its a landscaping program if you want a good 3d prog get 3d studio max or Lightwave (warning Lightwave is hard than UT2k3 mapping XD)

Hamster
09-Jan-2004, 00:44
I'm not sure you can even get an educational / demo Bryce anymore, I thnk the company was bought over or summat. If you've ever used Vue d' Esprit, it's very similar, but with a more poser-esque interface ( same company ).

It's a landscape generator with renders and animation, no poly tools to speak of but you can import premade objects and use very basic primitive shapes.

( For me, Terragen makes better landscapes )

In short, you can't really do much, but it's a great program for getting your head around the basic principles of 3D, plus the render engine is nice and you could easily convince your parents that you are some sort of computer ninja and they should buy you that new comp.

DarkStar
09-Jan-2004, 00:54
I have bryce 5 for free, dloaded and its all okies. like you said it is primitive but j00 can make some nice spikes and shiz lol

F|E|S|T
09-Jan-2004, 22:50
Ah won't bother then, I iz got the Max. Currently trying to model caves :( But for some reason al me maps have gone :(

DarkStar
09-Jan-2004, 23:12
Gah, at least you got it ive dloaded it 5 times and its buggered up

/me slaps Kazaa lite

F|E|S|T
10-Jan-2004, 00:48
Yeah you gotta have some cracks for it and its quite a pain in the arse getting them to work from what I've heard.

Max 5 is also meant to be a pain in the arse with getting it to run on XP. I've been told that it sends a message to Discreet via the net without warnings, informing them of the licence and computer its associated with. Could be dodgy I suppose given the whole legit licence thing in the air these days. Don't how much of that is true tho, but I bought Comp-Arts magazine this week and there was a ad page in there from Descreet going on about illigal sofware and that if you report a company you know thats using some of their illigal software they will pay up to 10,000 in reward to you. :lol:

DarkStar
10-Jan-2004, 01:45
mmmmmm money.... i could do with 10 k but im sooooo lazy. so ill just use photoshop