PDA

View Full Version : Layers and Pictures

mick3ymous3
09-Jan-2006, 14:50
Hi

Our office has recently bought a copy of Photoshop Elemements and i've started playing about with pictures with it.

What i'm wondering is can you insert and image through another image. Say you want to change the person that someone is hugging in the picture, ie not a simple cut and paste.

In a real world example I would make a slit in the original picture and slide in the image that I wanted to replace it with. The only way I can think of doing this is to have 2 identical layers and insert the desired picture in between those layers.

Is that how I would go about it?

Q-Target
09-Jan-2006, 14:53
3 layers

Eg.

You want to put a giant moth seemingly rampaging through a city

layer 1 (background): plain city scape
layer 2 (middle ground): the moth
layer 3 (foreground): Copy the buildings from the background and paste them into this layer, this gives the impression that the moth is behind the city but in front of the sky.

http://q-target.com/mothra.jpg

Forget about the reflection, that's a whole other tutorial :D

burundi
09-Jan-2006, 14:58
Why bother with the background if no one will see it?

Q-Target
09-Jan-2006, 15:00
Can you not see the sky in that pic up there? That's the background layer.

Q-Target
09-Jan-2006, 15:03
Here's a better example:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jmcmenamin/rizbeaker.jpg

Q-Target
09-Jan-2006, 15:04
I took Ribby's hand from the background layer and copied it to the foreground layer with the professor in the middle layer.

Edit: I meant Ribby...not Rizzy...apologies to Ribby for likening you to Rizzy and vice versa :)

burundi
09-Jan-2006, 15:05
Can you not see the sky in that pic up there? That's the background layer.

of course.
duh!

Q-Target
09-Jan-2006, 15:07
Another alternative is to mask out the area that you want your middle pic to go into on just one layer and then do Paste Into but that does require a precise mask and might be a little more complicated than what you are trying to achieve...moreover I'm not sure if Photoshop Elements has that feature.

mick3ymous3
09-Jan-2006, 17:21
Thanks for that, it is sorta what i'm looking for.

In your first example with the cityscape, so you copy the plain cityscape layer then cut out what you need?

Q-Target
09-Jan-2006, 17:24
Thanks for that, it is sorta what i'm looking for.

In your first example with the cityscape, so you copy the plain cityscape layer then cut out what you need?

Yeah. I tend to use the polygonal lasso tool for that sort of thing.

Hamspoons
09-Jan-2006, 17:25
Here's a better example:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jmcmenamin/rizbeaker.jpg

Strange. Rizzy looks just like Ribby :)

Ribby
09-Jan-2006, 17:25
Yes, he's an extremely good looking individual isn't he.

Q-Target
09-Jan-2006, 17:33
Did I say Rizzy? Well I meant Ribby...probably thrown by the filename in which I seem to have made the same error. Love you really...Rizzy is the one with the stupid hat isn't he?

funkeh
09-Jan-2006, 17:33
Handsome!

Ribby
09-Jan-2006, 20:41
Handsome!

My arse!

funkeh
09-Jan-2006, 21:12
r000000flolly!!!!!