trickery.net

trickery.net (http://www.trickery.net/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.trickery.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Perpetual Thread of Rant! (http://www.trickery.net/vb/showthread.php?t=48782)

Bilb 12-May-2008 16:19

The Perpetual Thread of Rant!

I thought it would be fun to have a perpetual thread of rant. So daily when something winds me up, or just bugs me ... it shall be posted here!

Please ... all feel free to contribute.

In Kirk terms ... what has boiled your piss today?

Bilb 12-May-2008 16:19

• Lazy people parking in Parent and Child Parking
  • Pretentious twats parking in Parent and Child Parking, so their lovely shiny 316i doesn't get scratched.
  • Lazy Parent's who can't be bothered to return the trolley when using Parent and Child parking, and just return leave the trolley in the gap between cars.
  • Pretentious twats who debadge shitty cars in a vain/failed attempt to make people think they are a better model!
  • Retail based PC Support Technicians whose company charge too much for their services!
  • Kids walking around with their phone playing music on speaker phone ... for funk-sake ... get some headphones .. tossers!

[n00b]Zippy 12-May-2008 16:28

So you've basically been to PC World and parked next to a beemer?

Bilb 12-May-2008 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by [n00b]Zippy (Post 969291)
So you've basically been to PC World and parked next to a beemer?

Bugger, have I been spotted again ?

Bilb 12-May-2008 16:30

More annoyances tomorrow when I go out into the big wide world !

Beef~ 12-May-2008 16:32

Office bureacracy. Wasting time. Printing off pages again and again to correct tiny mistakes. Asking me to print something off when it would have taken less time for them to have done it themselves.

Hayfever. Tissues.

My own clumsiness.

funkeh 12-May-2008 16:32

Finishing a plasterboarding job that someone else had started, unfortunately they didnt have a fucking clue and I ended up taking most of it down and starting again.
The tard had used 2x2 for the framework and mounted a new door in it, BADLY!

Then had the cheek to say he wasnt happy having to pay an extra 100 euros for the extra work I did, so I offered to take the fucking lot down instead, which prompted him to get his wallet out ;)

CUNT!

Ashen 12-May-2008 16:36

Fucking idiot customers.
Sitting in a phone centre at work even when the damn phone lines be severed by workman..been down since 11am...fucking boring!

Jamey 12-May-2008 16:45

The price of storage.

How is it you can get 4TB of RAID-5 NAS for under a grand, yet 15TB of the same costs twenty grand?

4TB = 250 per terrabyte.
15TB = 1,300 per terrabyte.

That's twenty times the money for four times the storage.

FFS.

ReichSteadyCrew 12-May-2008 16:49

Snow Patrol.

That's it today really

Bilb 12-May-2008 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamey (Post 969306)
The price of storage.

How is it you can get 4TB of RAID-5 NAS for under a grand, yet 15TB of the same costs twenty grand?

4TB = 250 per terrabyte.
15TB = 1,300 per terrabyte.

That's twenty times the money for four times the storage.

FFS.

Tell me about it. I'm quite keen to build a home NAS with RAID5 redundant storage. Ideally I would like about 4TB. But buying a small business server just won't cut it. They either don't support SATA drives, or they don't have enough enclosures, or drives of the right size!

Think I'm going to end up with a coolermaster stakker for home use with like 12 x 1TB drives in there !

So hows it going with the work NAS then?

Jamey 12-May-2008 16:56

If you only want 4TB, have you considered this?
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...ationKey=11161

It's what I'd be going for if I didn't need more space.

Work will probably end up being twenty grand's worth of Dell kit. It's annoying there's nothing cheaper with the same space.

Bilb 12-May-2008 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamey (Post 969315)
If you only want 4TB, have you considered this?
http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...ationKey=11161

It's what I'd be going for if I didn't need more space.

Work will probably end up being twenty grand's worth of Dell kit. It's annoying there's nothing cheaper with the same space.

I've looked at loads of those mini-nas devices. Problem is they all run on *nix based os's. Id much rather have a proper Windows box.

I even looked at Windows Home Server boxes, but they have a huge corruption bug.

Dell kit eh ... nice stuff, I know a couple of the Architects at Dell, if you want me to get someone to give you a shout to spec something out.

[n00b]Zippy 12-May-2008 17:01

Hehe - the words "only" and "4Tb" in the same sentence!

Neutron 12-May-2008 17:03

no piss boiling today :)

Ned 12-May-2008 17:04

Yeah, but Jamey's lens flare takes up 3TB of that.

Jamey 12-May-2008 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilb (Post 969317)
I've looked at loads of those mini-nas devices. Problem is they all run on *nix based os's. Id much rather have a proper Windows box.

Does it matter that much?

As long as you've got an X:\ drive when you open "My Computer" and you can read/write to it ok, who cares?

Bilb 12-May-2008 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by [n00b]Zippy (Post 969318)
Hehe - the words "only" and "4Tb" in the same sentence!

Well ... Over 500MB of music, then there are "backed up" movies and archived TV shows. Plus then my backups of my work laptop and all my documents personally and for work.

Gets eaten up quickly! :naughty:

Lungboy 12-May-2008 17:08

Learning a new analysis technique that takes an hour and a half per sample, only to discover that the (literally) only program in the world that can analyse the data for me doesn't cocking well work.

Bilb 12-May-2008 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamey (Post 969322)
Does it matter that much?

As long as you've got an X:\ drive when you open "My Computer" and you can read/write to it ok, who cares?

Nah it wouldn't matter, as I have nothing against linux.

However the problem is that for the same price of these boxes, you could almost build a large server and have the box doing useful stuff while not serving files.

ahem ... bittorrent ... ahem!

The other issue is something to do with Samba not fully supporting Vista's quick directory listing and it is a bit buggy at times. I read about it a while ago, hence the fuzzy explanation.

Lastly the reports Ive read of these style boxes is that the throughput is not as good as that of proper servers. I bought a gigabit Western Digital Mybook, that is networked, and its throughput is that of a 10Mbit full duplex card! It's shockingly bad!

Ive also looked at Thecus nas, and Infant ReadyNAS

ReichSteadyCrew 12-May-2008 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilb (Post 969324)
Well ... Over 500MB of music, then there are "backed up" movies and archived TV shows. Plus then my backups of my work laptop and all my documents personally and for work.

Gets eaten up quickly! :naughty:

500mb of music will fit onto a cd... :P

MaNiC^ 12-May-2008 17:25

• BT
  • Customers

Pretty much the same as every other weekday ;p

jackthezipper 12-May-2008 17:27

That I keep pressing the ctrl button with the bottom of my hand when I'm scrolling and changing the text size!

EntropicLqd 12-May-2008 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lungboy (Post 969326)
Learning a new analysis technique that takes an hour and a half per sample, only to discover that the (literally) only program in the world that can analyse the data for me doesn't cocking well work.

Can't be that hard to write your own.

The only thing that's irritated me today is having to manually edit 700 automated unit tests because some idiot decided to skip some validation. Needless to say I noticed the error in the code and fixed it. I didn't expect all the tests to stop working.

Tomorrow it'll be the system testers being moronic.

Bilb 12-May-2008 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReichSteadyCrew (Post 969328)
500mb of music will fit onto a cd... :P

Ooops, damn those M and G keys being so close !!!

Lungboy 12-May-2008 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by EntropicLqd (Post 969334)
Can't be that hard to write your own.

My supervisor might have a chance if he had access to the original code, but i can just about manage to make rude words appear in Basic, I have absolutely no chance of writing a program that analyses 6 sets of 3 component values to produce an anisotropy of anhysteretic remanence magnetisation elipsoid, which is then corrected for the in-situ sample orientation data. It really is as awful as it sounds.

funkeh 12-May-2008 17:36

Sounds worse than an anal fistula that!

Heartwork 12-May-2008 17:51

headaches. urgh.

Ashen 12-May-2008 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lungboy (Post 969336)
anhysteretic remanence magnetisation elipsoid*, which is then corrected for the in-situ sample orientation data. It really is as awful as it sounds.

*At this point my head exploded :(

Cam 12-May-2008 17:54

burglars who have feet like hobbits :P