trickery.net

trickery.net (http://www.trickery.net/vb/index.php)
-   Books (http://www.trickery.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   What are you reading now? (http://www.trickery.net/vb/showthread.php?t=15576)

Sonic Samurai 29-Sep-2004 00:44

What are you reading now?

I go through books like most people go through toilet rolls. No, I don't use them to wipe my arse, I just read a lot. I wondered if anyone read as avidly as me ...

Having just finished Black Hawk Down by Marc Bowden, I thought I'd follow it up with In The Company Of Heroes by Mike Durant, the pilot of Super Six Four, one of the choppers that went down near Bakara Market, Mogadishu, 1993 (as represented in Black Hawk Down). Durant was captured after a failed attempt to recover and protect him by some Delta snipers, and suffered horrendous complications from his injuries, despite being treated fairly well as a prisoner of the Habr Gidr.

Durant's writing style, despite being aided by an author (whose name escapes me momentarily) is upbeat and superficial, making the book easy reading but difficult to fathom emotionally. It's evident that Durant is scarred by what happened and found it difficult to write about but the prose is still disjointed, distanced and oddly cinematic in approach.

Having said that, it IS a first hand account of the events portrayed in BHD, so if you have a military history interest, pick it up.

Martigan 29-Sep-2004 01:02

Naked Empire - Terry Goodkind (or trickery.net if I go off the thread title)

Hotel2Tango 29-Sep-2004 01:12

Reading the 'Song Of Ice And Fire', swords and sorcery series by George RR Martin at the moment. Loads of fun.

Also trying to wade through a load of books my Grandad thinks I ought to read. Including 'The Feathered Onion', which is about evolution and panspermia stuff. And 'Utopia', by Thomas Moore, one of King Henry the something's advisors.

Lord Fondlemaid 29-Sep-2004 01:15

Jennifer Government by Max Barry (2nd read - fabulous book)

Hotel2Tango 29-Sep-2004 01:30

Read the first chapter of Jennifer Gov on the nation states site. It was pretty cool. Clever idea.

Martigan 29-Sep-2004 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotel2Tango
Reading the 'Song Of Ice And Fire', swords and sorcery series by George RR Martin at the moment. Loads of fun.

Yep read it, and the following one etc, but it sort of got a bit lost by the third book to me

blurr 29-Sep-2004 01:57

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan :)

hAiNeSy 29-Sep-2004 02:24

omg you have to read this:

http://www.folkmanis.com/imagefilesA/softbook.JPG

blurr 29-Sep-2004 08:15

funnily enough the book I've started reading... has just been released in the (US) cinemas!

enduring love

looks like a British film, but haven't seen any signs of it here... I'm hoping they haven't hashed it up

GroovYF 29-Sep-2004 08:46

Just finished "Holy Land, Unholy War" by Anton La Guardia (about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict)

And have now just started "Yitzhak Rabin: Soldier Of Peace". A bigoraphy of the assassinated Israeli PM I read a few years ago (and recently bought.)

funkeh 29-Sep-2004 09:05

Have just bought these:
http://img78.exs.cx/img78/7118/tabs.jpg

So am reading this atm:
http://img72.exs.cx/img72/6630/tab00k.jpg

GroovYF 29-Sep-2004 09:07

Nice one. I love the sound of Tablas

Sonic Samurai 29-Sep-2004 09:09

in the morning?

Q-Target 29-Sep-2004 15:51

STILL reading that feckin Bill Bryson book...sends me to sleep after about 3 pages hence the slow progress...yet it is very interesting...perhaps I should read it before midnight?

venger 29-Sep-2004 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martigan
Naked Empire - Terry Goodkind (or trickery.net if I go off the thread title)

What do you think of that book so far? How do you rate the other books in the series?

aerin245 29-Sep-2004 15:57

Reading LOTR (for what must be the 90th time- damn those theses) Guards!Guards! and four tomes of knowledge cunningly described as D&D Handbooks, as well as my flatmates Riftwar Saga and his W'itch quintet thingy.

I have to have lots of books on the go cos I read like no-one's business. Get mocked regularly because of it, too.

venger 29-Sep-2004 15:59

[quote="funkeh"]Have just bought these:
http://img78.exs.cx/img78/7118/tabs.jpg

My friend plays the Tabla as he is doing a PhD in Silete (sorry for spelling) music and spends time out in India. It is amazing to watch him play as his hands defy physics with the speed they move.

D33 29-Sep-2004 16:04

I'm currently reading, the forums.

It's a novel written by many different people. Sometimes it gets good and sometimes it's utterly dire. There's a few twists like faked deaths and it has some really horrifc moments too.

Some pages come with pictures, some don't.

Generally it's a good read.

aerin245 29-Sep-2004 16:05

But..... you read slower than a dormouse on Valium so the forums are probably too quick for you.

moron 29-Sep-2004 16:06

Just read some of the other books by the da vinci code guy - distinctly average, quick to read though... and jennifer government also - great book.

Currently working through John Simpson's "The Wars Against Saddam: Taking the Hard Road to Baghdad" - charting the path of iraq through from the baath coup to the current situation, an interesting read.

Hotel2Tango 29-Sep-2004 17:26

D33 you are the 3rd person so far in this thread to make that 'joke'. So you clearly are not reading these forums.

D33 29-Sep-2004 18:11

Can't see anyone else making the joke or at least not making it as clear as the post I made it in.

And stop being so anal, it's so dire :/

Q-Target 29-Sep-2004 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by D33
Can't see anyone else making the joke or at least not making it as clear as the post I made it in.

If you think anal is dire then you're doing it all wrong :naughty:

GroovYF 29-Sep-2004 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q-Target
Quote:

Originally Posted by D33

If you think anal is dire then you're doing it all wrong :naughty:

Quoted for posterity! Though not for blackmail as that would be useless ;)

D33 29-Sep-2004 18:16

YUO DISGUST MEH

Rhadix 29-Sep-2004 20:08

The Machine Crucade (2nd book in the Legends of Dune trilogy) by Brian Herbert. Quite decent it is too :)

Valheru_- 29-Sep-2004 20:29

ahh i read that the last year. the next part of the dune legends has been out a few weeks i think its calle the battle for corrin. Its part of a 3 for the price of 2 deal at waterstones. But i iant found another 2 books i want to buy in order for me to buy it. But its got 3 pounds off if you buy it from borders.

DoZ 29-Sep-2004 20:30

Zecharia Sitchin - The Cosmic Code
Maurice Cotterell - The Supergods
Jenny Randles - Abduction

mr_o 29-Sep-2004 20:32

clive cussler - trojan odyssey

Brain_Murders 29-Sep-2004 20:34

Not long finished "Without Remorse" by Tom Clancy.

Ongoing book is "Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish". I read it on the toilet so I only get a couple of pages read at a time and the first is usually one that I read the last time.

Voy a penetrar tu culo con mi pene!

It's a good book if you want to learn spanish as it takes a vastly different approach to all the others (which I find is much better) but you have to be carefull as its angled more towards the south-american spanish speakers than the continental ones.

Mrs Murders says that I'm not so much learning Spanish as abusing it :D

In between toilet and computer sessions, I am just starting on "Red Rabbit" by Tom Clancy.