View Single Post
Old 23-Jul-2006, 10:31   #1
Chef_uk
account shared with 10 people
Chef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond reputeChef_uk has a reputation beyond repute
50 films to see before you die - Trickery's List

It's obvious that C4's list last night was about as far from the truth as it can be, but how hard is it to pick the top 50 films to see before you die?

Lets find out. Once we get 50 nominations, we can then counter argue them with other films as to whether they should or shouldnt be in the list.

I'll start us off, put in as many as you want, just number them so we know when we reach our 50.

THIS LIST IS NOT FINALISED, IF YOU WISH TO REMOVE ONE AND ADD ANOTHER, POST BELOW WITH REASON FOR DOING SO.

1. The Italian Job - For me this film is a must see because i never saw it when i was growing up, it was until i was about 20/21 maybe later, that i did see it. When i did i thought it was amazing, at first i was s suspicious because its a film you should see as a kid, but i managed to prove that wrong thus making this film in my eyes a classic. Anyone who watches The Italian Job for the first time will be glad they did, no matter how old they are.

2. Papillon Daddy of Prison movies, it doesn't have the violence of an Alcatraz setting but it shows what happens to two men held captive and isolated. Great acting in Hoffman and McQueen. Makes Shawshank look average.[/b]

3. Ronin Robert de Niro, and Jean Reno with a supporting cast including Sean Bean. Doesn't get much better in terms of acting talent. Great story, great action sequences and one of the alltime best car chase scenes.

4. Leon An action movie which genuinely pulls at the heartstrings with some very good childacting from a young Natalie Portman. Jean Reno turns in one of the best acting performances ever as the title character.

5. HEAT pacino and deniro together (godfather 2 doesnt count as they never shared a scene)

6. Yojimbo

7. Se7en - dark, disturbing, Morgan Freeman.

8. Reservoir Dogs - An aquired taste, but one of my favourite movies of all time. The character building is done through the films violence, and Keitel, Buscemi and Madson are brilliant.

9. The Shawshank Redemption

10. Life Is Beautiful - Roberto Benigni bringing smiles and comedy value to that most morbid of subjects - The Holocaust

11. La Haine - Powerul movie about social unrest in the Paris suburbs. Shot beautifully in black & white, and the lead characters play very convincing parts.

12. The Godfather Trilogy The greatest trilogy ever made, superb acting, an amazing cast and a script that allows 3 of the greatest actors of all time in Brando, Pacino and De Niro to show their talents.

13. The Lord of the Rings trilogy Another trilogy, and one of the most epic. Beautifully shot, a great cast and effects that magically brings to life the world of Tolkein.

14. Saving Private Ryan Speilbergs best film imo, superbly shot, and showcases the range of emotions during world war two. Great action sequences too, how Hanks didn't get a third oscar for his portrayal of Captain Miller is beyond me.

15. Goodfellas One of the best gangster movies ever, Liotta, De Niro and Pesci act everyone else off the stage. Violent and bloody, funny and eye opening.

16. The Matrix Turned the sci-fi genre upside down, unseen before special effects, a superb storyline, and one of the best movie soundtracks make this a must see.

17. Hero I just love this film, the way each section has its own colour.

18. Old Boy Fucking ace, go watch! Keeps you right in, then at the end, it explodes all over your face.

19. Clerks

20. Big Wednesday

21. Brazil (Probably the worst film in history, but heh, opinions vary)

22. Bladerunner

23. Alien

24. The Wicker Man

25. The Usual Suspects

26. Scarface

27. pulp fiction - come on this film kicks arse. the dialogue is razor sharp and in my opinion tarantino's best work, by far.

28. fear and loathing in las vegas - film adaptation of hunter s. thompson's seminal book. funny and great performances by the leading actors.

29. dr. strangelove

30 - City Of God

31 - Amelie

32 - Memento

33 - Raging Bull

34 - Ikiru - gotta have Kurosawa

35 - Mulholland Drive - gotta have Lynch

36 - Young Frankentein

37 - Once Upon A Time In The West

38 - Fight Club

39 - Apocalypse Now

40. The good the Bad the Ugly

41. Bullet in the Head

42. The longest day

43. King Kong (both old and new)

44. Jason and the Argonauts

45. Planet of the Apes

46. Bridge too far

47 Rear Window - No Hitchcock yet

48 Star Wars

49 It's A Wonderful Life (1943)

50 Schlinder's List (if we have Saving Ryan we need a war film with some depth)

THIS LIST IS NOT FINALISED, IF YOU WISH TO REMOVE ONE AND ADD ANOTHER, POST BELOW WITH REASON FOR DOING SO.

Last edited by Chef_uk; 23-Jul-2006 at 21:54.
 PTG_Chef_uk