trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs

Old 06-Mar-2012, 12:47   #1
leady
post count envy
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
new graduates and jobs

apparently 35% of graduates end up in non-graduate jobs and 20% don't get jobs

now my maths may be rusty, but doesn't that mean 50+% of uni grads are wasting

about 10000 (pre new tutition fees) per year cost
about 15000 a year in lost earnings

i.e. by going to uni they are wasting about 75000 per student over 50% of the uni intake.

that would appear to be economic suicide to me both personally and to the students and I've not factored in the compound interest and experience effects...
Old 06-Mar-2012, 12:49   #2
Q-Target
he'll hoof you in the works
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
Shhhhh!
Old 06-Mar-2012, 12:51   #3
Deceased
Fixer of dead hard drives
Deceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by leady View Post
apparently 35% of graduates end up in non-graduate jobs and 20% don't get jobs

now my maths may be rusty, but doesn't that mean 50+% of uni grads are wasting

about 10000 (pre new tutition fees) per year cost
about 15000 a year in lost earnings

i.e. by going to uni they are wasting about 75000 per student over 50% of the uni intake.

that would appear to be economic suicide to me both personally and to the students and I've not factored in the compound interest and experience effects...
blah

Last edited by Deceased; 06-Mar-2012 at 12:55.
Old 06-Mar-2012, 12:54   #4
Deceased
Fixer of dead hard drives
Deceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond reputeDeceased has a reputation beyond repute
My wife went to Uni, I didn't. She didn't get and has never since had what she perceived as a "graduate" job. I decided that I wanted to get out of education and earn some cash/experience.

I earn 10K a year more than her.

Uni education may be nice for some, essential for somethings but from our experience - generally a total waste of time - at least 50% of the time anyway!
Old 06-Mar-2012, 12:58   #5
Q-Target
he'll hoof you in the works
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
I couldn't get my current job if I hadn't gone to Uni... or any of the jobs I've had since Uni tbh. The issue isn't necessarily that degrees are useless but that employers cannot afford to take on as many graduates as they once used to. People typically expect that a degree will get them more money than no degree and in some cases that is certainly true but for the majority, time spent gaining experience can be at least, if not more valuable.

Degree + experience + decent set of skills = earning potential

Remove the degree and you've still got earning potential. Remove any of the others and you are fucked.

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs