trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Science Fiction

Old 26-Sep-2017, 22:55   #91
Hot Soup
lock my threads
Tournaments Won: 1
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
As for the space battle effects I'm moaning about - I mean the weapons , I'm just not a fan of the look of pew pew pew lasers. Too used to the solid beams and what not of Trek and B5

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Hot Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2017, 10:49   #92
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
I though this was awesome. Couldn't figure out what had bothered the politicial correctness whiners though? Two female leads? Is that it? One's dead now if that helps I suppose.

Fourth Klingon Iteration=fabulously badass and unique and thought it quite bold to go full Klingon language. The whole stein waving warrior viking cliche had been spread thin over TNG/DS9/etc. I think the religious supremacist thing has better legs and they were born to be the bad guys.

Visually - loved it, the ship, suit and set designs, rich UI's and FX were very up to date. Also good lawd can everyone stop bemoaning the lack of shit 60s plywood sets with fake levers and meaningless bloopy lights. TOS creators would have chopped their cocks off to have the capability we use now. Enjoy the respect of the themes in the finessed touches like pointless transporter sliders, ornate phasers and amazingly retro glam suits. There's a new audience to capture with each iteration, it's not just about wanking off old men.

Won't miss Yeoh. She is so bad. Served a purpose though I suppose. The bridge crew look fantastic. Loved the girl with the massive robot head.

As it goes on, I hope they don't get too mired in overarching superplots and leave plenty of time for some harmless wandering around space getting into random shit.
Old 29-Sep-2017, 16:36   #93
PsYcHoKiLLa
topicophiliac
PsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond repute
Did anyone else think the robot was voiced by Brent Spiner? Sounds a lot like him, I did have a butcher's on IMDB though and it's apparently not.
Old 02-Oct-2017, 20:13   #94
T3CH^
Too old for this shit
T3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond repute
This is starting to feel like a Section 31 origin story

'Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps.........it is time to die'
 x_Kryptman_x   T3CHguyver 
Old 02-Oct-2017, 20:16   #95
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
She's obviously going to have to mutiny again when Captain AtAnyCost goes off the rails isn't she.
Old 02-Oct-2017, 22:30   #96
Randell
my post count gets me dates
Randell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond repute
I thought Episode 3 was great. I like that the main protagonist isn't the captain, and the captain could be mad/bad.
 Randell 
Old 02-Oct-2017, 22:47   #97
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Mostly enjoyed it again. Some dodgy exposition but you kind of expect that in early eps of something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 03-Oct-2017, 00:34   #98
andy
aka milk!
andy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond repute
Really enjoying this; good to see Trek back on the TV.
Old 03-Oct-2017, 09:58   #99
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
I enjoyed it. I'm not a big trekky though so don't really care about continuity and canon etc.

They're exceptionally well made i.e. movie quality effects, editing etc. Be interesting to see how much of the budget they blew on the first few episodes and whether they can keep up the quality.
Old 03-Oct-2017, 11:38   #100
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Buried in the Wikipedia page it says it cost on average $8 - $8.5 per episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

Quote:
It was also revealed that an average episode of the first season had ultimately cost US$8–8.5 million, making it one of the most expensive series ever. This outgrew the original Netflix deal, but CBS still considered the series to be paid for already due to the number of new All Access subscribers that the show was expected to draw.
Old 03-Oct-2017, 13:32   #101
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
Loved it, I suppose it is early in the Federations existence compared to other series so the ethics have yet to be quite as we expect them to be. I can get with a morally loose Trek though, let's see them fuck up some Klingons.
Old 03-Oct-2017, 20:01   #102
Dave
Yea, theres a mod for that
Dave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond reputeDave has a reputation beyond repute
Really liked ep3, opened it up great.
 manc2009   HeinzeFritzel   250 834 764 
Old 03-Oct-2017, 21:35   #103
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
I thought I recognised Landry... from BSG
Old 04-Oct-2017, 09:40   #104
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
Also nice to see Doug Jones. I've liked him in all the things I've seen with him in e.g. Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy etc
Old 04-Oct-2017, 14:18   #105
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3CH^ View Post
This is starting to feel like a Section 31 origin story
Yeah getting that vibe as well tbh I actually hope it is I loved the darker side of the federation that slowly crept to the surface in ds9.

Is the series set in the Kelvin time line or the original?

Interesting to see how long the war lasts, pretty sure both sides returned to a cold war standing before 2267 when Kirk engages them in open conflict.

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.

Last edited by Ashen; 04-Oct-2017 at 14:25.
Old 04-Oct-2017, 16:49   #106
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler: highlight to read
I'm wondering if this spore drive has anything to do with fluidic space and therefore Species 8472 from Voyager?

Old 04-Oct-2017, 17:26   #107
Sh0cked
founder of the +1 forum
Sh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond repute
From what I read I thought it was in the traditional timeline not the Kelvin line.
 sh0ck3d 
Old 04-Oct-2017, 19:59   #108
T3CH^
Too old for this shit
T3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0cked View Post
From what I read I thought it was in the traditional timeline not the Kelvin line.
It is, btw anyone notice the GORN skull in the captains darkroom? 10 years BEFORE Kirk made first contact.

Feeling more and more black bag with each watch.

'Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps.........it is time to die'
Old 05-Oct-2017, 02:55   #109
Belgarath
off topic
Belgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond repute
The ship apparently runs Windows.

https://www.neowin.net/news/neobytes...y-runs-windows
Old 09-Oct-2017, 00:32   #110
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute

The whole thing just screams Section 31. From the pointed remark by the bald prisoner about the black badges worn by some of the crew, to the spore drive.
Remember Sloan from DS9, how he could hop in and out of Bashir's cabin?

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato

Last edited by Eja Cool8; 09-Oct-2017 at 00:35.
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 09-Oct-2017, 12:31   #111
Intron
off topic
Intron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond repute
Episode 3 for me was just Star Trek Event Horizon.... and the premise for the new mode of transport... wtf... I was all for giving it a go after the first 2 ... but the third's plot was just a WTF moment of it going all over the place.

But i do say i am pleased to see the Ralph Mcquarrie Designs he did for the ill fated Star Trek movie have manifested into a ship at last!
Send a message via MSN to Intron  IntronDepot   Intron 
Old 09-Oct-2017, 23:38   #112
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
So ripper only has a few jumps in him I'm guessing from the pain the creature was in, doubt the spore drive will feature past the season's end. Locra is really growing on me I like the no bullshit approach, I hope he survives and keeps the captain's chair..the show is more interesting with a conflicted leader and the arguments over morality from the subordinates.

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.

Last edited by Ashen; 09-Oct-2017 at 23:44.
Old 10-Oct-2017, 00:08   #113
Inertiaman
Plot already falling behind the visuals but then Trek isn't exactly known for consistency there.
Old 10-Oct-2017, 01:51   #114
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Lol after a generally promising opening few eps I thought number 4 was almost painfully bad in places. Still mostly good mind but for 8.5 million per episode they could have hired some writers that relied less on hackneyed cliche and could write good enough dialogue that it didn't need blatant overdubbing later.

Quote:
Old 16-Oct-2017, 17:25   #115
Hot Soup
lock my threads
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intron View Post
Episode 3 for me was just Star Trek Event Horizon.... and the premise for the new mode of transport... wtf... !
I quite like the concept , it's reminiscent of various sci-fi ideas and Trek has a few similar concepts - Species 8472 / Fluidic Space and the critters the USS Equinox mashes up for their warp drive. Ashen - agreed, I can't see how the spore drive is sustainable as a concept , because it's too useful.

Timeline wise - Kelvin / not Kelvin / Prime , trying to link in timelines with stuff from other series - whatever you want to call it I think is irrelevant.

Likewise irrelevant whether its S31 or not - I dont think it is - simply a black ops / secret mission.

Latest episode , fair to say it's weak.

Everything about it was rushed, on the one hand enjoying the Captain ,
but he nuked his last crew to save them pain , but its cool because he got out?
Seems a bit meh
The swearing - doesnt work in trek, just silly. Still struggling with klingons sounding like they are talking through a mouth full of nuts.
The mirror at the end ... uh , so is that mirror universe, alternate thing sucked out another dimension, classic trek GOOD AND BAD versions .. or what? Do i care?

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 16-Oct-2017, 21:43   #116
NWA
Fish Schnapps
YES I CAN HEAR YOU CLEM FANDANGO

Quote:
Old 17-Oct-2017, 07:12   #117
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
Not impressed with the swearing, they're trying a bit too hard to be dark and edgy and I want to watch this with the kids, Trek is supposed to be safe in that respect.
Old 17-Oct-2017, 08:48   #118
Randell
my post count gets me dates
Randell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond repute
Was Lorca leaving Mudd behind really what he woudl have done, or another attempt to show how dark Lorca is? Anyway he must escape, as this is set before TOS.
 Randell 
Old 17-Oct-2017, 19:18   #119
Hot Soup
lock my threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell View Post
Was Lorca leaving Mudd behind really what he woudl have done, or another attempt to show how dark Lorca is? Anyway he must escape, as this is set before TOS.
*points at imdb*

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 23-Oct-2017, 15:33   #120
T3CH^
Too old for this shit
A fucking
Vulcan SUICIDE BOMBER?!

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Science Fiction

Tags
wenger out!