trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs

Old 19-Nov-2015, 12:48   #61
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Besides, big government IT projects are always a rousing success. Just look at the progress made Universal Credits for example, great stuff.
Old 21-Nov-2015, 03:33   #62
gimpchimp
posts sponsored by spam
gimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond repute
Don't get me wrong, I think this bill is unworkable and I don't need to be a project management student to know that our country's track record of delivering any kind of project on time and/or under budget is shaky at best. I know that the information-gathering talked about here is only going to make that repository a hacker's El Dorado and every black hat this side of Mars worth his salt is going to want to take a crack at it.

I'm just playing the opposite view point that many Tories (no offence to those of you out there, but this bill is primarily driven by that political view) have. It's difficult to judge whether or not the existing bill is fit for purpose simply because we rarely get the empirical evidence to judge it on their merits. An inherent distrust of our government and the way they implement IT projects is driving our stance against this, and rightly so, but do we think there is any way to implement the spirit of this bill in a way that isn't going to cock up massively?

Just for funsies

Also, anyone have any experience of project delivery in the Civil Service? I am a project management student at the moment but I don't want to go back into O&G. I'd like to do something for my country but I have no desire to become a politician and I'm too fat/lazy to join the emergency response services. I thought moving into project delivery in the CS might be an interesting way to go.
Send a message via MSN to gimpchimp  NostrusUK 
Old 22-Nov-2015, 20:22   #63
Ferg
Default Title Here
Ferg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond reputeFerg has a reputation beyond repute
Do we really think that this would be delivered by the Civil Service?
Old 23-Nov-2015, 20:12   #64
gimpchimp
posts sponsored by spam
gimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond repute
Nope.
Send a message via MSN to gimpchimp  NostrusUK 
Old 24-Nov-2015, 00:50   #65
Eja Cool8
Wears Stockings
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
More likely to be delivered by Yodel.

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 24-Nov-2015, 09:40   #66
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Techdirt dissects an impressively ignorant and stupid article in the Telegraph written by Clare Foges on the subject of banning encryption.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...chwriter.shtml
Old 24-Nov-2015, 13:17   #67
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Good find. Getting a bit of a pasting on twitter.
Old 01-Feb-2016, 13:49   #68
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Time to resurrect this! The Science and Technology Select Committee has produced it's final report and decided that the cost of implementing this bill is more like 2 billion plus rather than the 250 million originally estimated and that the cost should be footed by the UK tax payer rather than the UK ISPs in case the burden of the costs irrevocably damage the UK tech sector and make it uncompetitive.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02..._not_industry/

Oh and nobody knows what an 'Internet Connection Record' is.

Last edited by EvilGrin; 01-Feb-2016 at 13:52.
Send a message via ICQ to EvilGrin Send a message via AIM to EvilGrin Send a message via MSN to EvilGrin Send a message via Yahoo to EvilGrin  EvilGrinUK 
Old 09-Feb-2016, 23:38   #69
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
CaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond repute
Yet more complaints about this bill, this time from the Intelligence and Security Committee.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/tech-policy...opers-charter/
Old 10-Feb-2016, 09:31   #70
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Given that the MP's on the ISC are hand picked by Cameron I find it pretty hilarious they wouldn't rubber stamp it just like everything else that's gone through them. Kinda shows exactly how bad this bill is!
Old 15-Mar-2016, 17:43   #71
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
The 2nd reading is today. Labour is planning to abstain. Voting is later tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-po...ments-35773597
Old 16-Mar-2016, 10:08   #72
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Passed by 266 votes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...e-updates.html
Old 16-Mar-2016, 11:54   #73
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Lords still to come.
Old 16-Mar-2016, 12:00   #74
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Plus the 3rd reading. Also the ECHR might shoot it all down.
Old 16-Mar-2016, 12:38   #75
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I think 200 silks and part time judges wrote a letter to Parliament to say it was bad news, and may even be illegal. So there is still some opposition.
Old 16-Mar-2016, 13:37   #76
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Just none from The Opposition
Old 16-Mar-2016, 13:50   #77
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrobbs View Post
I think 200 silks and part time judges wrote a letter to Parliament to say it was bad news, and may even be illegal. So there is still some opposition.
That was in the Guardian yesterday.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/...up-to-the-task
Old 16-Mar-2016, 15:33   #78
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Just none from The Opposition
They're entirely opposed to the draft, but allowing draft to pass isn't acceptance of the bill. Voting against is counterproductive to a concessionary pass. This seems like adult politics to me?
Old 16-Mar-2016, 15:51   #79
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I'm being silly, it's probably the right thing to do at this stage. I'm not sure I'd describe them as "entirely opposed" though, I saw some quotes from Burnham about finding the right balance between privacy and law and order.
Old 16-Mar-2016, 16:58   #80
Inertiaman
Sorry yeah, not opposed to "A bill", but in strong disagreement with this draft is probably the mark.
Old 11-Nov-2016, 14:50   #81
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
While we were all distracted the Final reading has gone through the Lords. On it's way to being law by the end of 2016.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/strategy/2751...house-of-lords
Old 25-Nov-2016, 11:39   #82
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Ahoy! Totally unexpected slippery slope and mission creep!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/te...-35242522.html

Quote:
Organisations including the PSNI, Food Standards Agency and the Department for Work and Pensions will be able to see UK citizens' entire internet browsing history in weeks.

The Investigatory Powers Bill, which was all but passed into law this week, forces internet providers to keep a full list of Internet Connection Records (ICRs) for a year, and make them available to the government if it asks.

Those ICRs effectively serve as a full list of every website that people have visited, not collecting which specific pages are visited or what's done on them but serving as a full list of every site that someone has visited and when.

And those same ICRs will be made available to a wide range of government bodies.

Those include expected law enforcement organisations like the police, the military and the secret service but also contain bodies like the Food Standards Agency, the Gambling Commission, council bodies and the Welsh Ambulance Services National Health Service Trust.

The full list of agencies that can now ask for UK citizen's browsing history, which is laid out in Schedule 4 of the bill and was collected by Chris Yiu, is below:

British Transport Police
City of London police force
Common Services Agency for the Scottish Health Service
Competition and Markets Authority
Criminal Cases Review Commission
Department for Communities in Northern Ireland
Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland
Department for Transport
Department for Work and Pensions
Department of Health
Department of Justice in Northern Ireland
Financial Conduct Authority
Fire and rescue authorities under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
Food Standards Agency
Food Standards Scotland
Gambling Commission
Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority
GCHQ
Health and Safety Executive
HM Revenue & Customs
Home Office
Independent Police Complaints Commissioner
Information Commissioner
Metropolitan police force
Ministry of Defence
Ministry of Defence Police
Ministry of Justice
National Crime Agency
NHS Business Services Authority
NHS trusts and foundation trusts in England that provide ambulance services
Northern Ireland Ambulance Service Health and Social Care Trust
Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service Board
Northern Ireland Health and Social Care Regional Business Services Organisation
Office of Communications
Office of the Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
Police forces maintained under section 2 of the Police Act 1996
Police Investigations and Review Commissioner
Police Service of Northern Ireland
Police Service of Scotland
Royal Air Force Police
Royal Military Police
Royal Navy Police
Scottish Ambulance Service Board
Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission
Secret Intelligence Service
Security Service
Serious Fraud Office
Welsh Ambulance Services National Health Service Trust
Old 25-Nov-2016, 12:03   #83
leady
click here to reset post count
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
By UK standards that's a tame list, wait until local authorities get in on the act
Old 25-Nov-2016, 12:48   #84
Beef~
res ipsa loquitur
Beef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond repute
So IT / security experts - would using a VPN effectively render this moot?
Old 25-Nov-2016, 12:58   #85
Inertiaman
For the most part. There will still be evidence of which VPN service you connect to but not much else. Tor browser will also obfuscate.

Honestly though I think ISP's are going to be onside here. It's going to cost them a fortune and expose them to massive risk under the DPA to enact this as described. To most of their credit they've been fighting the wording all the way along.
Old 25-Nov-2016, 14:16   #86
leady
click here to reset post count
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
you can bypass its simple implementation just by using a non-UK based DNS server I imagine
Old 29-Nov-2016, 12:37   #87
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
To no-one's surprise, it has received Royal Assent this morning.

Some VPNs not recommended: https://gist.github.com/kennwhite/1f3bc4d889b02b35d8aa

Streisand seems interesting though...
Old 29-Nov-2016, 14:49   #88
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
BlackVPN ftw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 29-Nov-2016, 15:22   #89
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
What are the speeds like? Thatoneprivacysite seems to think they're 'ok'.
Old 29-Nov-2016, 15:38   #90
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Fine for most purposes for me, nomally see 3.5-5MB/s on p2p. Obviously they can't guarantee speeds so much but you can get it for 14 days and if you don't like the speeds you can get a full refund. They offer a variety of servers based on whether you use them for getting around geolocation or for p2p If you want to connect to more than 1 server at once you need to pay for a second account however. They ban some types of traffic on some of their VPN servers (e.g. Singapore) where presumably they are liable for the traffic that goes over their VPN. They do keep your email address linked to your account, though you could take steps to make your email anonymous. They don't keep any logs that are not about the current session https://www.blackvpn.com/about/terms-of-service/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants

Last edited by NWA; 29-Nov-2016 at 15:40.
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs

Tags
8 terabytes of hard filth, blame devs, goosecunt0r, it wasn't me, john shaw takes the piss