trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Old 18-Sep-2004, 12:54   #1
jimbobaggies
BOING BOING!
jimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond repute
Random synch loss problem

Started last year (June-ish) when I had ADSL installed, with Nildram as my ISP! Initially I had a Conexant chipset PCI ADSL modem, and some DABS value filters! All seemed well, until I noticed the modem would lose synch with the exchange occasionally. This got really annoying, losing connection when gaming, or downloading, etc, so I contacted Nildram, who contacted BT, who went to my exchange, and said there was a problem and move my wires over! However, the problem persisted, and when I had a 2 or 3 email inter-change with Nildram, BT were again involved, but this time insisted no problem, and I must have a problem at my end.

Anyway, got to the early part of this year, and still having the problems, so I decided to get an external modem (to eliminate my computer from the loop), and purchased a D-Link DSL-300G+.
By quirk of fate (the first one came with no cables), and so they sent me another one the next day, but never arranged for a courier to fetch the other one, and now they dont seem to be trading, but I digress!

So, with the new modem, I still had the problem, and I even invested in some Fujitsu FDX-100 microfilters, as they are the only ones with BT approval! Swapped in my other D-Link modem, left Sky box unplugged (for a month), but continued having problems, so I contacted Nildram again. This time, they seemed very sceptical, but after pointing out the dropouts on my connection log, they eventually contacted BT again. This time the engineer came round to carry out line tests, but again, never found a fault.

By now, very frustrated, I wondered if Nildram were to blame, because (coincidentily), I could no longer access my connection logs, so I decided to change ISP, and am now with *cough* Eclipse *cough*!

Well, it has continued, and after going through Eclipse, yesterday I had BT round again! This time the line tested fine, but when they reconnected my modem, and carried out remote tests, my noise margin dropped from 27dB to 11dB, and according to them, the likely cause of my synch loss, at which time I pointed out that I had tried 3 different modems!
Today they phoned up after again carrying out remote tests, and my noise margin (with modem on) was 22dB!

Now, I know this is a long story, but hopefully somebody who has gotten this far maybe able to help shed some light!!
Old 20-Sep-2004, 21:08   #2
jimbobaggies
BOING BOING!
jimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond repute
Someone help ffs...
Old 20-Sep-2004, 21:17   #3
Pulse
lock my threads
Pulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond reputePulse has a reputation beyond repute
Did read it etc etc.

Only help I can offer is this: On cable the modem line can be fine or a bit off etc etc and the way you fix it is use a little thing that screws onto the cable called an atenuator or something. . . might be like a microfilter, ok long story short:

When they plug their kit into the line its fine because of no microfilter? When the microfilter is on the line it might be the wrong type and borks the test hence remote fails. Dunno its a long shot, hell i dont even know what a microfilter does. . . its a big big guess.
Old 21-Sep-2004, 17:40   #4
jimbobaggies
BOING BOING!
They tested my line with the microfilter in place, and with the Sky box plugged in, and it made no difference to the noise margin!
Old 21-Sep-2004, 18:26   #5
DM
will post for food
DM has a reputation beyond reputeDM has a reputation beyond reputeDM has a reputation beyond reputeDM has a reputation beyond reputeDM has a reputation beyond reputeDM has a reputation beyond reputeDM has a reputation beyond reputeDM has a reputation beyond reputeDM has a reputation beyond reputeDM has a reputation beyond reputeDM has a reputation beyond repute
try it without a microfilter, you will need a diff cable from your modem to your telephone point.
Old 21-Sep-2004, 18:32   #6
T-Bag
please find me real friends
Tournaments Won: 1
T-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond repute
I had massive problem with this over the first 2 years of having ADSL.

When I had 56k I had lots of noise on my telephone line which caused lots of disconections, although BT always claimed there was nothing wrong with it.

When I got ADSL I would randomly loose sync and it often wouldn't connect again until I picked up the phone and dialed a number (ie 1471 or something). This usually happened at the same time as having noise on the line.

Anyway, about 8 month ago we had part of the phone wire coming into the house moved/replaced just as part of recoration and moving it out of the way. This seemed to fix it then a few month later it started doing it again !!

Then about 6 week ago the phone line got hit by lightning and blew the box off telegraph pole, fried all the phone wiring, phone box and modem. When BT fixed this and I replaced my kit it was fine and has been ever since.

I will bet its a physical problem with your line/phone box somewhere. Do you ever have any noise on your phone ? As so much stuff blew up I can't pinpoint exactly what it was but when ADSL was connected we used to get noise on the phone and using the phone often caused me to loose sync - again this has been fine since replacing everything.

When it was doing it wasn't constant.... It would start happning then happen for a week or two then suddenly go away and be fine for months. I tried replacing filters etc and it was exactly the same.

BT couldn't find anything wrong with mine, but clearly something was.
Send a message via MSN to T-Bag  Bag-T   BagT 
Old 21-Sep-2004, 19:03   #7
dirky
quick panic, it's snowing
dirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond repute
Thats interesting because I've been getting all sorts of line drops and PL lately. I informed Plusnet and they said we'll get on to BT. So next thing I know I recieve an E-Mail saying theres a major fault on your line which is causing the problems.

It could well be the same thing as yours; the noise marign. I am currently using the same modem which you started with: the Conexant one (soon to be upgraded to a Netgear mind) as I've had trouble with it in the past.

So here I am now still recieving all sorts of PL and line drops waiting for some BT geezer to come round.
Sorry its no help to you whatsoever, but I can definitley say its something to do with your line, either in your house, in the street, or at the exchange. You've certainly ruled out the possibility of it being the modem thats for sure.
Old 21-Sep-2004, 19:15   #8
T-Bag
T-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond repute
If you have 'noise' on your line it does not affect your 'db noise rating' - *I think*

If BT say your line is fine.... then it could be a problem with your internal house wiring / phone box on wall.
Old 21-Sep-2004, 19:24   #9
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
You shoul.d have been given the option of having a proper BT ADSL faceplate been installed on your BT Master socket. This apprently has solved a lot of ADSL issues in extended distance tests and may help with your problems.

It is certainly worth mithering Eclipse/BT about it to see if they will do it. I think it essentially replaces your Microfilters, downside is ( & i am not 100% sure about this ) that you have to run the modem to wherever the master socket is, no using extension sockets.
Old 21-Sep-2004, 19:44   #10
GEFORCE
i post for fun
GEFORCE has a reputation beyond reputeGEFORCE has a reputation beyond reputeGEFORCE has a reputation beyond reputeGEFORCE has a reputation beyond reputeGEFORCE has a reputation beyond reputeGEFORCE has a reputation beyond reputeGEFORCE has a reputation beyond reputeGEFORCE has a reputation beyond reputeGEFORCE has a reputation beyond reputeGEFORCE has a reputation beyond reputeGEFORCE has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirky
Thats interesting because I've been getting all sorts of line drops and PL lately. I informed Plusnet and they said we'll get on to BT. So next thing I know I recieve an E-Mail saying theres a major fault on your line which is causing the problems.

It could well be the same thing as yours; the noise marign. I am currently using the same modem which you started with: the Conexant one (soon to be upgraded to a Netgear mind) as I've had trouble with it in the past.

So here I am now still recieving all sorts of PL and line drops waiting for some BT geezer to come round.
Sorry its no help to you whatsoever, but I can definitley say its something to do with your line, either in your house, in the street, or at the exchange. You've certainly ruled out the possibility of it being the modem thats for sure.

Got same problem m8. Am with plusnet to my lines stopped dropping but i keep getting click every so often on my phone line and loss in cs :/
Old 21-Sep-2004, 22:00   #11
dirky
dirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond reputedirky has a reputation beyond repute
I can barely stay on for half an hour before it loses sync now. What am I paying for eh? Mines been connecting for 13 minutes atm, and already I've received 21 errors. :/
Old 22-Sep-2004, 08:53   #12
jimbobaggies
BOING BOING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burundi
You shoul.d have been given the option of having a proper BT ADSL faceplate been installed on your BT Master socket. This apprently has solved a lot of ADSL issues in extended distance tests and may help with your problems.

It is certainly worth mithering Eclipse/BT about it to see if they will do it. I think it essentially replaces your Microfilters, downside is ( & i am not 100% sure about this ) that you have to run the modem to wherever the master socket is, no using extension sockets.
When BT came and did the tests, they tried one of the BT ADSL faceplates, and it made no difference! With that, or my own microfilters, I had a noise margin of 27dB, they said when my modem was connected, the remote tests showed 11dB, but the next day remote tests showed 22dB, this is very strange!!

I know that all the wiring in the house is fine, BT renewed it all when they removed my ISDN to install ADSL!

Coincidentally, I had my faulty D-Link DSL-300G+ come back from RMA, and they have replaced it with a reconditioned revision 1 (previous was revision 2). I haven't noticed any disconnects as yet, but this would be bloody annoying if it turned out to be that, it would mean that two revision 2 modems were shoite, as well as my old conexant PCI modem!
Old 22-Sep-2004, 11:42   #13
T-Bag
Whenever BT tested my line the problem always happened to be fine on that day and magically go away for a few weeks.
Old 22-Sep-2004, 13:09   #14
dirky
I've just discovered that I had a broken filter, so hopefully this will solve my problem tonight when I try it. Fingers crossed!
Old 23-Sep-2004, 11:16   #15
dirky
It was due to a faulty filter, strange how something so small can screw up your whole connection.

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking