trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Programming

Old 03-Aug-2009, 14:58   #1
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
MS Access problem...*shudders*

So, I work in education innit. As such I'm forced to work with Access (your inflexible friend). Before I make an arse of myself on an access Q&A forum I thought I'd ask a bunch of folk who already know I'm an arse. I've built dozens of Access databases and have done all sorts of fancy shit with it in the past. But I've just stumbled upon a problem which has stumped me. I am certain that I'm just too close to the problem but, having spent a day fiddling about and failing on every score, I've had a brain freeze and can't step away from it. HELP!!!!

First a bit of background, I'm putting together a database to record and track university students undertaking voluntary work placements. The tables that relate to the problem are:

Students - contains basic student contact details - key field StudentID
Vacancies - contains details of the placements on offer - key field VacancyID

As one student may apply for many vacancies and likewise many students may apply for one vacancy, there is a need for a many to many relationship between the two tables.

So, I've put together a linking table comprising two key fields StudentID and VacancyID which provides the bridge for the many to many relationship.

The trouble I now have, and it might be a wood for the trees problem, is that I can't actually work out how to establish the link. I've created relationships between the three tables, I can populate the Student table and I can populate the Vacancy table but how do I actually populate the linking table? I'm sure it is obvious and I've just confused myself into a corner so can someone point me to the obvious answer?

As an aside, the linking table will eventually evolve into an Application Process table but I will still have the same problem.
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:16   #2
Onions
it's still christmas
Onions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond repute
you make an entry in the linking table when a student undertakes a work placement

"As much as onions is a giant ginger bag of mashed twats who doesn't technically constitute one whole human due to his massive lack of self esteem, bad face, and the fact he hails from scotland (the small s is intentional to indicate the insignificance of the place), he does make a valid point!"
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:18   #3
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
I don't let my users anywhere near the tables in a database. I suspect there's a query to be put together to base a form upon but it's like trying to juggle sand....ghnnnnnnnn
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:24   #4
Onions
it's still christmas
Onions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond repute
i dont use access, so i have no idea how you're doing this.. but that's when you'd make the entry. whether it's automated via some web form, or manually processed when a student hands you their details, doesn't really matter.

i suggest you pick up a server with mssql and hire some blonde to do this shit for you :p

"As much as onions is a giant ginger bag of mashed twats who doesn't technically constitute one whole human due to his massive lack of self esteem, bad face, and the fact he hails from scotland (the small s is intentional to indicate the insignificance of the place), he does make a valid point!"
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:30   #5
mope
founder of the +1 forum
mope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond repute
There's always the Access GUI?

I have an access file with a similar thing, linking items of stock and customers, if you want to take a look?
 mopeh 
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:40   #6
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Normally the Northwind.mdb has the answer to ANY question I have, hidden away somewhere. In this instance it does but I can't fathom how it is done. Curse this blindness!

Assuming you aren't talking about the northwind example, then please do fire it my way. Will PM you my work email. Ta.
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:44   #7
pHk
lolzipan
pHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond repute
The join table should be populated automatically in some way, so whenever you associate a student with a vacancy in the front-end (whatever it is), it should add a record to the join table.

If you use access forms, you'd build a list of students, next to it a list of vacancies, and then when they press the button you'd look up the ID's of the selected student and vacancy, and insert those into the join table.

Aside from Access, what exactly is the problem?
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:45   #8
[n00b]Zippy
Waterborne Trailer-Trash
[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute
Errr...wouldn't this table just get populated by transactions from the day-to-day operation of the application?
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:47   #9
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Tom, that does sound like what my addled mind has been trying to grasp. I'll go tinker on that score...wait here.
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:48   #10
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Quote:
Originally Posted by [n00b]Zippy View Post
Errr...wouldn't this table just get populated by transactions from the day-to-day operation of the application?
That's the theory. Sadly I'm sucking at the practice side today.
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:53   #11
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Ooh...just had a small breakthrough, thanks to Tom for pointing out the blatantly obvious. You may all continue to breathe and sleep soundly this evening.
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:53   #12
mope
founder of the +1 forum
mope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond repute
Nah, its not Northwind. I made it for a college project seven years ago.

I'll send it you in a minute. Just need to install Access, so I can remove the passwords (and delete my personal details from the tables).
 mopeh 
Old 03-Aug-2009, 15:57   #13
mope
founder of the +1 forum
Oh, guessing you don't need it anymore then.
 mopeh 
Old 03-Aug-2009, 16:19   #14
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
No, looks like it's sorted. Bit of a major facepalm situation. Thanks for the offer and the effort - sorry if you wasted time

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Programming