trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 18-Sep-2004, 03:22   #1
mick3ymous3
pro poster
mick3ymous3 is just really nicemick3ymous3 is just really nicemick3ymous3 is just really nicemick3ymous3 is just really nicemick3ymous3 is just really nice
Extreme Names

I don't know if anyone else does, but I occasionally buy Custom PC magazine to read when i've run out of everything else to read. In this month's one I came across a fairly amusing article named "Extreme Names" written by Ben Hardwidge, which tried to explain what the suffixes on the end of product names meant as follows (quoted directly from magazine):

Quote:
XP Anything with an 'X' in it instantly has a certain cool factor. Admit it there's even something otherwordly about the word 'xylophone'. This is why everything from graphics cards to the latest version of Windows must have 'XP' on the end - who cares what it stands for?

Titanium A strong white metal used in spacecraft and aeroplanes. We'll excuse Apple's Titanium PowerBooks, seeing as they actually contain titanium. Graphics cards don't.

XT Either a crappy old IBM PC or yet another misleading acronym at the end of teh graphics card names. Depending on who you talk to, XT either means 'bugger me! this card's really fast. My God, I never thought I'd see anything quite this amazing' or 'this card's okay, you know, but its not quite as good as the other one'.

Extreme Just like extreme sports, using any 'extreme' computer component requires you to have a goatee beard, whoop in an American accent, drink Pepsi Max and give people the finger while shouting 'extreme!'. Maybe not. Generally, if your product is 'extreme' you can guarantee that you paid more than four times the price you should have paid for it.

Ultra Denotes a product that's slightly faster than another one that costs half the price.

Platinum A precious metal that has nothing to do with graphics cards.

FX A jinxed acronym that makes people laugh at your products, and in extreme cases bankrupts your company.
Made me laugh anyway

Major General O.P. Smith, commander of the 1st Marine Division - Korean War - Battle of Chosin Reservoir
Old 18-Sep-2004, 03:44   #2
MALLET
to post or not to post
MALLET is a name known to allMALLET is a name known to allMALLET is a name known to allMALLET is a name known to allMALLET is a name known to allMALLET is a name known to all
Quote:
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Full Retail (GX-082-SP)
'Xtreme software requires 'Xtreme hardware to deliver an 'Xtreme gaming 'Xperience. In an effort to abolish the previous generations limitations, the X800 series of graphics cards and more specifically the RADEON™ X800 XT, introduces numerous industry firsts. 'Xperience SAPPHIRE and 'Xperience True High Definition (HD) Gaming, Sixteen 'Xtreme pixel pipelines, and 256MB of 'Xtreme GDDR3 memory operating at a frequency north of 1GHz! Stop playing with toys and step into the 'Xotic world of 'Xcessive features with the SAPPHIRE RADEON™ X800 XT!
Old 18-Sep-2004, 03:49   #3
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MALLET
Quote:
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Full Retail (GX-082-SP)
'Xtreme software requires 'Xtreme hardware to deliver an 'Xtreme gaming 'Xperience. In an effort to abolish the previous generations limitations, the X800 series of graphics cards and more specifically the RADEON™ X800 XT, introduces numerous industry firsts. 'Xperience SAPPHIRE and 'Xperience True High Definition (HD) Gaming, Sixteen 'Xtreme pixel pipelines, and 256MB of 'Xtreme GDDR3 memory operating at a frequency north of 1GHz! Stop playing with toys and step into the 'Xotic world of 'Xcessive features with the SAPPHIRE RADEON™ X800 XT!

F*ck me, I never knew you visited the Blazin' Squad Forums Timmy

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 18-Sep-2004, 04:44   #4
Heartwork
Hamish McJewstein
Heartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond reputeHeartwork has a reputation beyond repute
blaaazinn twats.

like the article though

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware