trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Forumless Games

Old 22-Oct-2015, 17:40   #1
gimpchimp
posts sponsored by spam
gimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond repute
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

So I've picked this up, and I'm aware there are a couple of others. I'm just wondering who all has, to see if we can get a group on the go at some point. Have some Trickery banter/Skaven-buggering.
Send a message via MSN to gimpchimp  NostrusUK 
Old 22-Oct-2015, 18:08   #2
MaNiC^
off topic
Tournaments Won: 5
MaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond repute
I've picked it up, I'll probably be playing a lot over the nights this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey
We had a fight and Kirk won. He beat me to a pulp and I cried... I cried like a little bitch because I'm so gay.
Quote:
You call that breaking my spine?! You red team ladies wouldn't know how to break a spi *snap* *crash* ARGH MY SPINE!!!
Send a message via MSN to MaNiC^  Insomnikal 
Old 22-Oct-2015, 21:15   #3
Randell
my post count gets me dates
Randell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond repute
I see Rap and Ashen playing it on Steam. Is it recommended?
 Randell 
Old 22-Oct-2015, 23:38   #4
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
fucking best game I have played in a long time

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 23-Oct-2015, 00:32   #5
gimpchimp
posts sponsored by spam
gimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond reputegimpchimp has a reputation beyond repute
Great crack!
Old 23-Oct-2015, 12:39   #6
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
Give us buzz if your playing myself,rap and goosecunt team up alot...don't let goose put you off :p

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 23-Oct-2015, 17:04   #7
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
RAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell View Post
I see Rap and Ashen playing it on Steam. Is it recommended?
Honestly, I'm really struggling to remember the last time I was this taken aback by a game exceeding my fairly lowly expectations. At best, I was hoping for a solid if unspectacular Left 4 Dead clone that would rekindle at least some of that game's magic and provide a few weeks of co-op fun before being discarded.

First things first, Vermintide is absolutely a Left 4 Dead clone. Brazenly so. The entire DNA of those games, from the enemy design (mechanically; not visually, obviously) to the way the levels are structured, has been ripped wholesale from Valve's titles and re-purposed. But, looking back at it with hindsight, the brilliance of Left 4 Dead perhaps lay more in the originality of it's concept, and not necessarily in it's execution per se. Vermintide may be a shameless rip-off, but it's a rip-off that in so many ways does "Left 4 Dead" better than those games ever did themselves.

I played Left 4 Dead again a month or so ago, and, honestly, it felt rather bland. The Warhammer world is just a much more interesting setting for a game like this, and the Skaven prove to be the perfect fit for the role of the zombie. It is not an exaggeration to say that the game mimics Left 4 Dead almost precisely in terms of it's unit design. The Tank/Rat Ogre and Hunter/Gutter Runner are functionally identical, whilst the remaining "Special Skaven" fulfil or combine the roles of the boomer, spitter and jockey (Fuck you, jockey-guy!). But nothing feels contrived. They work the way they work because that's how that particular Warhammer model would work if designed for inclusion in a Left 4 Dead-style video game.

The level design, in the limited number of maps available so far, is also excellent. The developers seem to have really nailed the quasi-Holy Roman Empire aesthetic of the Empire in the look of the game. Everything looks much like it could have existed in our world centuries ago. But then you suddenly spy in the distance the ridiculously oversized-horn you've been ordered to go and sound, protruding as it does from the roof of a dangerously ramshackle spire. Another mission has you advancing up the levels of a wizard's tower, which grows more and more bizarre the further you ascend. You pass through chamber after chamber of shelves stacked with books, until suddenly you notice that you are walking on the ceiling and everything has gone all Labyrinth on you with doors and stairways leading off at impossible angles. Later still, your vision suddenly blurs and when it clears you find yourself standing in a circular stone chamber with a pyre burning in the centre of it. Only Ashen suddenly exclaims, "Erm? Where the fuck did these trees come from?". What trees?, you think, because that room appears differently depending upon which character you are playing as.

Which brings us on to the characters (Whose dialogue and voice acting is very, very good by the way), and thus the meat of the game - the combat. The weapons in Left 4 Dead always felt rather underwhelming to me, and were fairly limited in number and function. Vermintide offers up a veritable buffet of things to stab, shoot and smash Skaven with. Whilst all of the 5 characters can, to a greater or lesser degree, fulfil the role of tank, ranged-damage dealer, brawler etc. There is a distinctness to each of them that means they all play at least slightly differently. But regardless of who you are playing or what load-out you are using they always feels visceral and satisfying. You have access to a couple more actions than you do in Left 4 Dead, which adds a layer of complexity to the combat which those games lacked. Like in Left 4 Dead you can shove enemies away from you; but you can also block their strikes and dodge them. Every melee weapon has a quick, soft attack and slower, stronger attack. It varies from weapon to weapon, but generally speaking certain strokes hit more enemies at once and others or do more damage to armoured enemies etc. If you are playing on the lower difficulties, you can get by just running around spamming M1. But try to do this on Hard and over and you will get absolutely murdered if you don't start thinking a couple of clicks ahead. Having to rely on your block, doge and shove moves means that when you are trapped in the middle of a horde the combat becomes almost a rhythm game as you try to balance clearing some space around you with your knock-back without using up all your stamina to the extent that you can no longer parry.

Lastly, we come to Vermintide's trump card, and the reason this games missions have far more replayabilty than Left 4 Dead's ever did - the loot. At the end of every [successful] mission you get to roll a certain number of dice, and the more hits you get get the higher up the loot table your prize will come from. If you are playing on the lower difficulties this will quite likely simply be something unspectacular, perhaps even a duplicate of something you already own. The harder the difficulty you play, however, the more likely it is that you will get a weapon with some special attribute; +2 stamina or a chance to replenish your ammunition when making headshots etc. The better the quality of the loot the more attributes it can hold.

So, the higher the difficulty the better the loot, yes? Well, not exactly. You see there are, hidden throughout the levels, certain items that you can collect that will give you additional dice to roll at the end. The caveat being that searching these out takes you out of your way, and nearly all of them penalise you in some way. Picking up a Tome takes up your health-kit slot. Picking up a grimoire, which guarantees you a good roll, lowers both your current health AND the maximum health of every single person in your party. Picking up a second grimoire halves it again. (I did not know this. The first time I grabbed a grimoire, not knowing what it was, my party was so low on health that the simple act of picking it up instantly incapacitated every single one of us. Result - We insta-lost a few minutes away from the finale and much was said about my mummy. ). So, before you even start a mission you have this interesting quandary about what difficulty level you think you can safely complete whilst still grabbing all that you can. Even then, you have this ever shifting scale of risk that has you constantly questioning whether or not you should just throw the damned grimoire away and restore your party's HP (once thrown away a grimoire cannot be picked back up again, so no healing up later on and going back for it).

Once out of a mission you return to the inn where your characters stay in between sorties, and from whence lobbies are formed and missions chosen. Here everything you have acquired in your travails can be combined, melted down and upgraded in a fairly rudimentary but oddly satisfying forge mini-game. So even if you keep rolling shitty duplicates of White items you already own if you get enough of them you can melt them down into something better.

Frankly, as someone who has bounced off pretty much every MMO or Diablo-esque dungeon crawler I've ever played I'm surprised by how taken in I've been by this game's quest for Shiny Stuff.

There have been a few niggles. Earlier in the week the mission would shut down if the host left, but this seems to have been fixed by the introduction of dedicated servers for launch. There are also a few bugs like the Hunter/Gutter Runner randomly launching itself and it's prey briefly up into the air, or the jockey/pack leader having a deceptively long reach on it's man-catcher (Which apparently is linked to higher FOV settings distorting the players depth perception). One of the oddest bugs/instance of poor coding I've found is the fact that the Stormvermin Patrols (this game's equivalent of Left 4 Dead's Witch) only seem to be triggered by detecting you the players personally, without regard to the actions of their fellow Skaven. This led to the absurd situation whereby a patrol of them marched blithely through a horde of Skaven who were in the process of trying to swarm the house we were hiding in (from the patrol) whilst gunfire and fireballs and all kinds of noisy shit rained out at them. Not a peep (or squeak?). However, most of my very negligible list of complaints would seem to be bugs that will hopefully be fixed in short order.

At this point, I'd say the only thing Left 4 Dead has going for it over Vermintide is this games lack of a versus mode. But, after initially being very disappointed to learn of it's absence, I can't say that I'm missing it all that much. It would be great if they could add it in at some point in the future; but, unlike it's progenitor, this game stands up perfectly well without it. As it is I'm far too distracted with trying to finally get a better rapier for my Witchunter!

TL;DR Well worth 20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
so some tribesmen can build a silky smooth road through southern america in a land devoid of natural life yet my local council can barely manage a pot-holed to fuck track through the town, cretins

Last edited by RAPTOR192; 23-Oct-2015 at 19:21.
Old 23-Oct-2015, 18:48   #8
Spanks
GTFOMI
Spanks has a reputation beyond reputeSpanks has a reputation beyond reputeSpanks has a reputation beyond reputeSpanks has a reputation beyond reputeSpanks has a reputation beyond reputeSpanks has a reputation beyond reputeSpanks has a reputation beyond reputeSpanks has a reputation beyond reputeSpanks has a reputation beyond reputeSpanks has a reputation beyond reputeSpanks has a reputation beyond repute
oh you cunt im going to have to buy this now

now its on cdkeys.com for 13.90 for the basic and 22.99 for the collectors edition, is itworth having the collectors edition over the basic for any reason at all?

Last edited by Spanks; 23-Oct-2015 at 18:52.
Old 23-Oct-2015, 19:25   #9
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
RAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't think so, all you get is a few cosmetic hats and and DVD-extra type stuff.
Quote:
so some tribesmen can build a silky smooth road through southern america in a land devoid of natural life yet my local council can barely manage a pot-holed to fuck track through the town, cretins
Old 23-Oct-2015, 21:13   #10
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
You fucker Rap. I was hoping this would be another load of shite.
Old 23-Oct-2015, 21:29   #11
Goody
my other forum is full
Goody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond repute
A warhammer game that isnt shite?

Dont believe you.

Though now its sort of not even warhammer its like vintage....
Old 23-Oct-2015, 21:35   #12
Randell
Randell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond repute
OK I'm sold, not tonight, hopefully tomorrow!
 Randell 
Old 23-Oct-2015, 23:37   #13
Randell
well at 13.90 it's silly not to!
 Randell 
Old 24-Oct-2015, 00:16   #14
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Rap you should really write more game reviews that was an excellent bit of writing. I agree with everything you said, the level design is amazing. Every map feels different and brings the warhammer world alive.

Quote:
to Ashen [ash-en]

Old 24-Oct-2015, 14:12   #15
Randell
is the old mumble server still up? or in game voip?
 Randell 
Old 24-Oct-2015, 14:14   #16
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
PM.
Quote:
Old 24-Oct-2015, 14:33   #17
stepper
empty minds post alike
stepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond repute
This game is a lot of fun, well worth a go - come join me, Raptard, Ashpaedo and Big Dave on Mumble for a go.

The one thing missing is a versus mode.
"I'm not getting out of bed until I get fucked!" - Marcus Antonius, 31 BC
Old 24-Oct-2015, 14:41   #18
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Nah I hope they focus more of bringing out extra chapters, small expansions and workshop surport. If they do support workshop content this game may become more and more epic, I have played some truly exceptional player made content for arma.

Quote:
to Ashen [ash-en]

Last edited by Ashen; 24-Oct-2015 at 14:44.
Old 24-Oct-2015, 15:52   #19
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Have bought it now, and had a go late last night. 2 of us and 2 bots, who although being stupid got us to the end. Then 2 people joined, and at the last onslaught, they left the defensible corner and ran out into the plaza. So they died. Then we died as two isn't enough. Irritating!
Old 25-Oct-2015, 22:37   #20
gimpchimp
posts sponsored by spam
Anyone having a crack tonight?
Old 27-Oct-2015, 15:51   #21
C0NTiNUiTY
TALK TO ME
C0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond reputeC0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond reputeC0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond reputeC0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond reputeC0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond reputeC0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond reputeC0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond reputeC0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond reputeC0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond reputeC0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond reputeC0NTiNUiTY has a reputation beyond repute
Im always up for a game, Im on steam as C0NTiNUiTY

I have a few of you on my friends list, will be good to play in a group of 4 rather than the randomers I have been playing with which are a bit hit or miss.
Send a message via ICQ to C0NTiNUiTY Send a message via AIM to C0NTiNUiTY Send a message via MSN to C0NTiNUiTY Send a message via Yahoo to C0NTiNUiTY  C0NTiNUiTY84   C0NTi   Mario Kart: 4081 5717 2508 

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Forumless Games

Tags
goosecunt0r