trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Films

Old 22-Dec-2015, 23:49   #31
The Big Kahuna
**** off Lester
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Old 23-Dec-2015, 00:07   #32
stepper
post haste
stepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond repute
I enjoyed it, but did come out feeling somewhat underwhelmed.

Felt it was really a rehash of Episode 4; Desert, check. Destined saviour of galaxy, check. Big fuck off death star that still has a stupid weakness (you'd have thought the Empire would have learned by now), check. Father and son relationship being the main driver in the film, check. The relationship between Finn and Rey felt contrived and more like "it had to be in there because they are of different skin colour"

That said, the action was great, awesome dog fight scenes, some great nods to the originals and some very funny "in" jokes.
"I'm not getting out of bed until I get fucked!" - Marcus Antonius, 31 BC

Last edited by stepper; 23-Dec-2015 at 00:44.
Old 23-Dec-2015, 00:42   #33
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper View Post
I enjoyed it, but did come out feeling somewhat underwhelmed.

Felt it was really a rehash of Episode 4; Desert, check. Destined saviour of galaxy, check. Big fuck off death star that still has a stupid weakness (you'd have thought the Empire would have learned by now), check. Father and son relationship being the main driver in the film, check. The relationship between Finn and Rey felt contrived and more like "it had to be in there because they are of different skin colour)

That said, the action was great, awesome dog fight scenes, some great nods to the originals and some very funny "in" jokes.
So did you get a side order of racist with your tickets?

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 23-Dec-2015, 00:45   #34
stepper
post haste
stepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond repute
Hardly, it felt more like it was there to be politically correct more than anything. Chemistry between the two characters was shit.
Old 23-Dec-2015, 00:47   #35
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
Good good let the hate flow through you

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 23-Dec-2015, 05:36   #36
Barb
poster of the month
Barb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond repute
Thought it was meh personally. Not totally suprised though given his previous. I liked the physical sets and effects. Good for the kids no doubt. So job done in that regard.
 FlatCapnWhippet   JerrytheLintElf 
Old 24-Dec-2015, 11:31   #37
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Film Yes. IMAX yes. However that is straight up the last film I bother going to watch in 3D. It's 10% brilliant and 90% broken.
Old 24-Dec-2015, 15:51   #38
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Also,

lol.

Old 24-Dec-2015, 19:05   #39
Randell
my post count gets me dates
Randell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiaman View Post
Film Yes. IMAX yes. However that is straight up the last film I bother going to watch in 3D. It's 10% brilliant and 90% broken.
What took you so long? Last film I saw in 3D was Thor and vowed never again.
 Randell 
Old 24-Dec-2015, 19:43   #40
Inertiaman
I hadn't touched it for a long time but it was the only IMAX option on my free evenings. Going to go again to the more local flicks for a regular showing after xmas with some people who're away.
Old 24-Dec-2015, 23:48   #41
Hot Soup
click here to reset post count
Tournaments Won: 1
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
I loved the film. If you want to nit pick you can. But fuck that. There's a ton of films out there that follow a structure similar to a ton of other films, crime films follow the same lines etc

That this followed the first Star Wars .. got no problems with that. It almost had to , to erase the utter shit that is the prequels. ( which I suspect they may redo at some point )

Visuals were stunning, the casting was good. Rey and Boyega I thought did have a good chemistry and I loved the fact that we ( or maybe me ? ) assumed he was going to be the main force character , but thrilled to see JJ keep the recent trend of strong women in the lead ( Mad Max, Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation the best examples )

Speculation wise... Rey's parent(s) are assumed to be formerly of the rebel alliance , from the helmet. Could her surname be Antilles rather than Skywalker...

From the trailer - an awakening light and dark?

Is Snoke Darth Plagueis ?

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Hot Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Dec-2015, 00:48   #42
stepper
post haste
Disney have released a game that has a spoiler in it by mistake; in one of the fight scenes between Kylo and Rey his dialogue includes "fight me cousin."
Old 25-Dec-2015, 00:51   #43
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute

There's no way that's "cousin"
Old 25-Dec-2015, 02:00   #44
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
devs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond repute
face me i said?!?!? they are most likely cousins though.
Old 25-Dec-2015, 10:04   #45
stepper
post haste
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post

There's no way that's "cousin"
I hadn't watched the video until now, and it does sound like cousin. The sound is quite distorted so it could be a number of things though.

I think she'll turn out to be Ben Kenobi's grand daughter, it just seems too obvious and easy that she'll be Luke's daughter, and would require introducing Mara Jade into the films.
Old 25-Dec-2015, 11:05   #46
Hot Soup
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
They can quite happily jettison the entire expanded stuff. Doesn't need to be Mara.

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Hot Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Dec-2015, 11:55   #47
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper View Post
I hadn't watched the video until now, and it does sound like cousin. The sound is quite distorted so it could be a number of things though.

I think she'll turn out to be Ben Kenobi's grand daughter, it just seems too obvious and easy that she'll be Luke's daughter, and would require introducing Mara Jade into the films.
EU is now considered a seperate universe and has no bearing on the new movies, if anything the mother may be a character we meet in the standalone movies. So all the eu names you know consider them void. They made a special departnent to trawl through all the material who decided that the prequels, clone wars cartoon, rebels and original trilogy are cannon plus a hand full of new books and comics. The offical starting cannon material is listed below the recent shattered empire comic has been added, it focuses on the Dameron family the mother of said family being the best awing pilot in the alliance

Quote:
to Ashen [ash-en]

Last edited by Ashen; 25-Dec-2015 at 12:07.
Old 25-Dec-2015, 14:34   #48
PsYcHoKiLLa
topic of the pops
PsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunteh View Post
For me the face was very Gollum. But then so are a few Orcs in the LOTR series, like the technology used leads to a certain look.
I thought the face was modelled after Terence Stamp because they were all kneeling before Snoke but, yeah, the face really looks like Terence Stamp.

Somebody else pointed out he looks a lot like Peter Cushing aka Grand Moff Tarkin from the original films which makes some sense cos Tarkin seemed to be Vader's partner in crime in the original film the same as General Hux is to Kylo Ren in this one, so maybe it is him.

Also did anyone consider, since the new films are all featuring the children of the older characters and we know that the Stormtroopers are not clones but stolen children, could Finn be the son of Lando Calrissian that the First Order stole to get their own back on Calrissian for his part in the fall of the Empire? So the Millenium Falcon could end up being piloted by the offspring of the two previous owners/friends?

Since we're talking spoilers, this video seems to nail it, the new trilogy seems like it's going to be the loss and redemption/removal of SkyWalker, Skywalker is probably going to become the new Vader, because of his isolation/pain/despair he may have ended up or will turn to the dark side, Kylo Ren could know/sense this, he will know Luke is far more powerful than him and wants to become the new Vader for Snoke first, maybe this is why he turned against Skywalker during his training.

Last edited by PsYcHoKiLLa; 25-Dec-2015 at 16:19.
Old 25-Dec-2015, 19:20   #49
Barb
poster of the month
Barb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond repute
Don't get me wrong, it's far superior to any of the prequels. If I hadn't seen IV-VI, it would no doubt be an awesome film.
 FlatCapnWhippet   JerrytheLintElf 
Old 25-Dec-2015, 23:23   #50
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
Nobody lost a hand... though we did lose a Han... does that count?
Old 26-Dec-2015, 01:05   #51
Xivo
postaholic
Xivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Target View Post
Nobody lost a hand... though we did lose a Han... does that count?
Of course it fucking counts!
Old 26-Dec-2015, 01:36   #52
Randell
my post count gets me dates
Randell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoKiLLa View Post
could Finn be the son of Lando Calrissian
right so Lando is the only black guy in the whole Star Wars universe so Finn must be his son!
 Randell 
Old 01-Jan-2016, 12:33   #53
Bad-Co
Large Member
Bad-Co has a reputation beyond reputeBad-Co has a reputation beyond reputeBad-Co has a reputation beyond reputeBad-Co has a reputation beyond reputeBad-Co has a reputation beyond reputeBad-Co has a reputation beyond reputeBad-Co has a reputation beyond reputeBad-Co has a reputation beyond reputeBad-Co has a reputation beyond reputeBad-Co has a reputation beyond reputeBad-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Twins.
Twins are strong in Luke's family. But the twins gene is carried by Anakin can be passed onto is daughter. But is more likely to be passed father to son.

So this begs the question does Kylo (Ben) have a twin sister ?
The family also has a history of splitting their siblings at an early age.
This would lead you into thinking that Rey is Bens sister... Too obvious.

If Rey is Luke's daughter, she's more likely to have a twin brother. It's not Fin (for genetic reasons)
But if the twins were split, we've not been introduced to her brother yet..

Poe, could be Bens brother, there was no indication between Poe and Leia/Han though to cement this.
Dameron is a name used before in Star Wars books.

Similar to New Hope.
It obvious as everyone's already said..
So the next film would follow ESB. Training of a new Jedi to defeat the bloke in black..
I am your father... Shock horror.

There's been an awakening... Did you feel it ?
The awakening happened when Kylo looks at Fin on Jakku and reports it back to Snoke.
But we've not been introduced to Rey at that point.
This suggests the force is strong in Fin, but he looks like he's more likely to take his own hand off with a sabre.

I enjoyed the film , it's a good solid SW film and the fight scenes are awesome.
I just hope there's a deeper story to the sequence rather than just copy, rinse, repeat the formula.
Old 01-Jan-2016, 18:23   #54
PsYcHoKiLLa
topic of the pops
PsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond reputePsYcHoKiLLa has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell View Post
right so Lando is the only black guy in the whole Star Wars universe so Finn must be his son!
Yeah cos that's exactly what I said, thanks for not reading the rest.
Old 07-Jan-2016, 04:04   #55
Fulmineus
karma killer
Fulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond repute
Saw it the other day, I enjoyed it, but have to agree with those who said it's a bit of a rehash.

Say NO! to capital t Sponsored by AQA
Old 07-Jan-2016, 11:00   #56
Inertiaman
I can see the next films taking a wider birth. This was a baton pass designed to erase the failprequels from memory.
Old 07-Jan-2016, 12:28   #57
leady
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
You hope, I remember watching the Phantom menace with fan boy eyes too and rationalising everything

The force awakens is a mediocre remake of IV, that doesn't have Lucas awful dialogue in the main, but retains some of the idiocy (Christ why the CGI big eye women and Snoke - they look awful). Now we all hope the next one redeems it as a pure set up film (Rey and Rylo swapping sides, Luke being evil) - I'm not hopeful.

edit - I should add I enjoyed it because simply adding "star wars" to mediocre gives movie theatre chills even after watching Hayden romance Portman..

Last edited by leady; 07-Jan-2016 at 12:30.
Old 07-Jan-2016, 12:56   #58
Inertiaman
Personally I thought Phantom Menace was a shocker from minute one. The only prequel that was worth a toss was the third one and that was only by comparison to the first two.
Old 07-Jan-2016, 13:43   #59
stepper
post haste
Agreed... And then they ruined it with "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Old 07-Jan-2016, 14:00   #60
Fulmineus
karma killer
Fulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond repute
I liked the laser sword fight in Phantom Menace, everything else was shite.

Say NO! to capital t Sponsored by AQA

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Films

Tags
fuck off devs, goosecunt0r, worse than firefly