trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Motors & Motorsports

Old 18-Jul-2017, 13:32   #61
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
They do when you buy their roof so I'd assume the same with their cars.
Old 18-Jul-2017, 14:00   #62
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I would have already bought one of the Powerwalls. As it's a socking great battery, I figured that you may be able to use it as a 'House UPS'. So I phoned them up with a view to getting it, so that when the power went out (as it does from time to time) the Tesla Charger would cut in and power the house for a few minutes, providing you don't over load it. I thought that would be a great use of tech.

Sadly, Tesla said that there explicit rules that prevent you using any kind of thing like that (with instantaneous switchover I think primarily) due to safety regulation. He did explain it at the time, but was in one ear and out the other as I don't really understand the finer points of electricity at the best of times. All I heard was 'no', so I didn't buy it.

Am interested in the roof tiles but they are still killer expensive. Will be some years before they even get near the cost of slate.
Old 18-Jul-2017, 14:19   #63
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
I'll look into the tiles when my roof needs replacing, which I'd guess is 10+ years away. They do sound good though.
Old 18-Jul-2017, 14:29   #64
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Another Tesla autopilot accident. Although the driver has since retracted his statement blaming the autopilot.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...d_tesla_crash/
Old 18-Jul-2017, 14:54   #65
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
My commute is about 25 miles each way, luckily there are some superchargers nearby Leeds too. Trickle-charge from house is also a possibility.
Old 18-Jul-2017, 16:04   #66
BFH
Fixer of dead hard drives
BFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrobbs View Post
I would have already bought one of the Powerwalls. As it's a socking great battery, I figured that you may be able to use it as a 'House UPS'. So I phoned them up with a view to getting it, so that when the power went out (as it does from time to time) the Tesla Charger would cut in and power the house for a few minutes, providing you don't over load it. I thought that would be a great use of tech.

Sadly, Tesla said that there explicit rules that prevent you using any kind of thing like that (with instantaneous switchover I think primarily) due to safety regulation. He did explain it at the time, but was in one ear and out the other as I don't really understand the finer points of electricity at the best of times. All I heard was 'no', so I didn't buy it.

Am interested in the roof tiles but they are still killer expensive. Will be some years before they even get near the cost of slate.
iirc they are working on some form of "switch" so that if you have a tesla and also their powerwall effort, the car will charge itself from that first before going to the grid. So "in theory" - you could power your car for well, nothing.

so want
Old 18-Jul-2017, 16:10   #67
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Nothing other than the substantial cost of the power wall
Old 28-Jul-2017, 13:43   #68
Belgarath
off topic
Belgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond repute
There's a live stream of the launch/first deliveries - unfortunately it's at 0445 BST tonight/tomorrow.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/27/...es-livestream/

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/
Old 30-Jul-2017, 19:52   #69
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
http://jalopnik.com/surprise-the-tes...not-1797357913

And it's not $35k unless you settle for a gimped one in black.
Old 30-Jul-2017, 21:55   #70
BFH
Fixer of dead hard drives
BFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond repute
yep - Musks plan needs a stage 4 and probably 5 at this rate.

Way things are going, he's going to hand the lower end of the market to everyone else if he doesn't get on with it and produce cars that "most" people can actually afford or be pursuaded to buy over others...
Old 30-Jul-2017, 22:59   #71
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I don't get why people want Musk to fail. The guy has fucking made re-usable rocketry basically cost-effective.

Every time he says he's gonna do something, a load of people say 'oh well, he'll need to do this before that'. Like they fucking know the business better than he. Right, yes. I'll gamble on Musk, thanks.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 07:38   #72
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
I think he's great and entirely understand that these cars will need to remain at a premium until scale lowers the cost. I might well be pulling my deposit on this though having seen the pricing model at this stage.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 07:41   #73
blurr
fashion victim
blurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiaman View Post
http://jalopnik.com/surprise-the-tes...not-1797357913

And it's not $35k unless you settle for a gimped one in black.
All car manufacturers do this. A barebones model at x price. If you want a bigger engine, larger tyres, different paint colour, satnav, aircon, leather trim, etc. you need to throw more money at it.

If you're pointing out that the $35k model would be available at launch but isn't, and in fact not available until late next year, then I would agree with your point.

I'm fiending for an electric car to replace my 15 year old Ford Fiesta. Aside from Tesla, the only other electric car I like out there is the Renault Zoe (base model starting at 14k ) but alas it's Renault. It's a shame lot of electric cars out there currently, like the Nissan Leaf and BMW I3 are proper gimp.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 08:24   #74
Inertiaman
Thanks for spending the time detailing the blindingly obvious, but hang on, there seems a fairly big difference between improved trim, and choosing a colour. Even a citroen C1 has a choice of those. Furthermore, if you read the article you'll note that they aren't even going to produce the entry level model because they're not making the battery yet in order to save money. That means that if you want to actually turn your deposit into the model you're going to have to watch Tesla blast past the release date on it and give everyone else the premium model for a year because they dug deeper.

Regardless of the poor analogy to other marques, that's not great for the relationship.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 08:32   #75
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Quote:
I think he's great and entirely understand that these cars will need to remain at a premium until scale lowers the cost. I might well be pulling my deposit on this though having seen the pricing model at this stage.
That wasn't actually aimed at you to be fair, as I know you have appreciation of his results. But seeing the general disparagement around the internet just gets a bit annoying.

I don't want them to be that expensive, and lets face it, who wouldn't want autodrive-lite and extra range? So you're going to be looking at the thick end of 30K. Which seems like a lot. Couple that with the severe lack of charging stations locally to me... it's starting to look like a bum rap sadly. Will have a load of equity in my current car though.

Need to spend the next two years saving up *or* work out a way of flogging the queue spot if they turn out to be worth anything. I put it down really early on day 1 - it may be that I buy the car and sell it immediately. Or get in contact with someone who wants one, order their spec and sell it on.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 08:34   #76
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I'm fiending for an electric car to replace my 15 year old Ford Fiesta. Aside from Tesla, the only other electric car I like out there is the Renault Zoe (base model starting at 14k ) but alas it's Renault. It's a shame lot of electric cars out there currently, like the Nissan Leaf and BMW I3 are proper gimp.
From a practical point of view I think a hybrid would be a good stepping stone to full electric. There are plenty of nice hybrids to choose from.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 08:44   #77
Inertiaman
Be interesting to see what the range of the basic model is if the longrange is 310m.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 08:58   #78
andy
aka milk!
andy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty difficult to be too bothered here in the UK about availability of base model as it'll be 2019 before anything is bloody available.

I thought the range for basic was 220?
Old 31-Jul-2017, 09:04   #79
Inertiaman
Or get a hybrid merc c class tomorrow in whatever colour you like for the same price and forget worrying about range!
Old 31-Jul-2017, 09:07   #80
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Quote:
Even a citroen C1 has a choice of those.
C1 has a choice, but anything other than the basic red is extra. Same with Skoda, only the dark blue is built into the price, any other colour is more expensive. I'd guess that's what most companies do now.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 09:10   #81
Inertiaman
But there is no choice because they aren't going to make one for ages is really the only point I'm making. That wouldn't be an issue if they hadn't taken deposits of course.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 09:39   #82
Orange
ditto
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Hadn't realized you'd put the money down, how did you think about charging? I like the idea of an electric car, but I still don't quite see how charging it works with on-street parking.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 09:43   #83
Inertiaman
Oh no sorry that was debating a notional deposit but I see how the wording misled. I'm not interested in a car I can't park in two thirds of a space, let alone one that can't fill literally the journeys I make, long ones.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 09:44   #84
Orange
ditto
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrobbs View Post
Will have a load of equity in my current car though.
I wouldn't bet on that.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 10:17   #85
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I wouldn't bet on that.
Well... I am expecting a certain amount as the GFV is 10k on a 4year schedule. It will be paid off 1 year early with a lower than expected annual mileage.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 10:23   #86
Orange
ditto
As long as you're not banking on anything above that GFV.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 10:32   #87
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Probably a little bit, but 10K is still a nice chunk to put on next one. Also not very many of them around, was hard to find it in the first place.

Last edited by Scrobbs; 31-Jul-2017 at 10:37.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 11:37   #88
andy
aka milk!
andy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Hadn't realized you'd put the money down, how did you think about charging? I like the idea of an electric car, but I still don't quite see how charging it works with on-street parking.
Fwiw I live in an apartment and the car park has charging points. Even if it didn't though and I had on street parking there's a decent number of superchargers in London and frankly 300 miles will be more than sufficient to ensure I realistically only need to charge the thing once a week or something.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 11:40   #89
Orange
ditto
The problem with on-street super chargers is that I think you have to move the car once you're done (perfectly reasonably), which I'm not sure I can be bothered with.
Old 31-Jul-2017, 11:42   #90
andy
aka milk!
Yeah there's one at Canary wharf which I'll just leave it in whilst I shop I imagine There's loads on on street parking chargers too - check out zapmap i think.

In any event by the time the model 3 is released over here I'm hoping petrol stations (particularly at supermarkets) have started to introduce them also

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Motors & Motorsports

Tags
devtard