trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs

Old 12-Mar-2018, 14:56   #511
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
So which is it instant panic or one of those just in case things?
Old 12-Mar-2018, 14:57   #512
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
No idea. Feels like too late for instant panic, so I’m going with “just in case”, because fuck it, the press will kill them in a year’s time if they don’t.
Old 12-Mar-2018, 15:02   #513
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
As long as we've got our priorities straight as microscopically deadly nerve agents go I suppose.
Old 12-Mar-2018, 15:33   #514
leady
click here to reset post count
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
It seems unlikely that the advice would exist if they thought there was a real risk, just that they discovered local contamination levels and believe its aerosol based.

Also if on the same day they suggested a real risk, they would have a small horde of folks with psychosomatic symptoms popping up.

The issue being that unlike in the Rock I don't think there is actually anything that can be done after exposure bar keeping you alive whilst your body tries to fix enough to keep working. Even then you are screwed for life with nerve damage depending on exposure.
Old 12-Mar-2018, 15:37   #515
Inertiaman
What does aerosol based mean? And who in their right mind cares about a few psychosomatic issues vs the risk of someone actually carking it without advice?
Old 12-Mar-2018, 15:45   #516
stepper
post haste
stepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by leady View Post
It seems unlikely that the advice would exist if they thought there was a real risk, just that they discovered local contamination levels and believe its aerosol based.

Also if on the same day they suggested a real risk, they would have a small horde of folks with psychosomatic symptoms popping up.

The issue being that unlike in the Rock I don't think there is actually anything that can be done after exposure bar keeping you alive whilst your body tries to fix enough to keep working. Even then you are screwed for life with nerve damage depending on exposure.
Youíre talking like itís been confirmed itís VX, it hasnít and probably isnít. Silliness aside (face melting), The Rock is pretty accurate in fairness, atropine will stop nerve agents from functioning but it needs to me administered very quickly. I canít imagine for a second that a sleepy city like Salisbury will have stockpiles of atropine stores.
"I'm not getting out of bed until I get fucked!" - Marcus Antonius, 31 BC
Old 12-Mar-2018, 18:01   #517
leady
click here to reset post count
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
Aerosol as in sprayed in some ones face (ala that NK assassination), whereas this I think was beer contamination? So one assumes that secondary civilian issues would be limited whereas there is real risk of the hospital being flooded such that real cases might get missed with a general warning (people being people).

The bigger question though has always been why use a string of pearls formation inside a missile were the only people ever likely to want to disarm one is your own side....
Old 12-Mar-2018, 18:14   #518
cunning-stunt
Falling to bits.
cunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond repute
I watched the documentary on BBC Four about Porton Down, and after seeing that, if it was VX or similar, I'm very surprised that more people are not affected. Some of the stuff they had could kill thousands using a miniscule amount.
cunning-stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Mar-2018, 18:15   #519
Inertiaman
I really have no idea what beer contamination is either or what difference it makes to telling people to wash fuck out of their clothes earlier.
Old 12-Mar-2018, 21:38   #520
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
May said in her speech to the commons it was Novichok. Nasty 4th gen nerve agent cooked up by the Soviets in the 80s under the guise of 'pesticide development' designed to evade detection and treaties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novichok_agent

BTW the Russians don't have any VX, that's something used by the Americans. The Russian equivalent formulation is VR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VR_(nerve_agent)

Last edited by EvilGrin; 12-Mar-2018 at 21:46.
Send a message via ICQ to EvilGrin Send a message via AIM to EvilGrin Send a message via MSN to EvilGrin Send a message via Yahoo to EvilGrin  EvilGrinUK 
Old 12-Mar-2018, 22:04   #521
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper View Post
Youíre talking like itís been confirmed itís VX, it hasnít and probably isnít. Silliness aside (face melting), The Rock is pretty accurate in fairness, atropine will stop nerve agents from functioning but it needs to me administered very quickly.
I think Iíll hang on to that syringe of atropine I have, just in case! (It came with the gas mask I still have from being out in Israel during the first Gulf War)
Old 12-Mar-2018, 22:05   #522
stepper
post haste
stepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond repute
No way?!
Old 12-Mar-2018, 22:09   #523
popej
topicophiliac
popej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovYF View Post
I think Iíll hang on to that syringe of atropine I have, just in case! (It came with the gas mask I still have from being out in Israel during the first Gulf War)
It might have passed its 'use by' date!
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... [contemptuous laugh] Titans on fire off the shoulder of YZ-LQL. I watched tachyons (tech 2) glitter in the dark near the NOL-M9 Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. Time... to die..."
 gobrun 
Old 12-Mar-2018, 22:16   #524
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper View Post
No way?!
They feared the scuds coming over may have contained some chemical agent.
I recall reading stories of people injecting themselves!

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...rvey_in_Israel
Old 12-Mar-2018, 22:19   #525
popej
topicophiliac
popej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
They feared the scuds coming over may have contained some checmical agent.
I recall reading stories of people injecting themselves!

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...rvey_in_Israel
My brother was in Iraq for two stints during the second Gulf War. He said they wore full hazmat suits and sat in trenches (edit), sometimes for hours (this was during the hot season) when the Iraqi army were firing scuds at their positions due to fear of chemical attacks. Did you have to do similar things?
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... [contemptuous laugh] Titans on fire off the shoulder of YZ-LQL. I watched tachyons (tech 2) glitter in the dark near the NOL-M9 Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. Time... to die..."
 gobrun 
Old 12-Mar-2018, 22:25   #526
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
I was a volunteer on a kibbutz at the time... we taped up windows with plastic sheets and gaffer tape. Every time the siren went off, we’d get the gas masks on and head down to the bomb shelter for a few hours, usually overnight.
Old 13-Mar-2018, 00:15   #527
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.byline.com/project/90/article/2080

Jesus Christ.
Old 13-Mar-2018, 10:58   #528
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
They feared the scuds coming over may have contained some chemical agent.
Sadams Iraq had Sarin and Mustard gas. It was used in the Iraq / Iran war, against the Kurds and also against his own people. So it's a pretty rational expectation that the Scud hurtling towards you has nerve agents onboard.

Fun fact, some of these munitions were also used in roadside bombs against American forces. Then later the whole stockpiles fell into ISIS hands and was used against everyone ISIS was fighting.

Messy business that.
Old 13-Mar-2018, 17:38   #529
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
+1 to the Dead Russians in the UK body count.

Russian exile Nikolai Glushkov found dead at his London home.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...is-london-home
Old 13-Mar-2018, 18:32   #530
stepper
post haste
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43387152

Really proud of this country and what it has become.
Old 13-Mar-2018, 20:24   #531
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
There really are some ignorant fucks out there. Hope they catch the perpetrators and dish out suitable punishment.
Old 13-Mar-2018, 20:54   #532
Inertiaman
Could be worse, they could be getting blown to pieces on their doorsteps like the poor black and Mexican people in Austin that has nothing whatsoever to do with fucking maga.
Old 16-Mar-2018, 11:30   #533
popej
topicophiliac
Can’t help but think that the UK/West is making the same old mistakes again.

Corbyn is right, this is a time for calm and for analysing the available evidence and then submitting this to the relevant international committee. Instead the government and media are back on their soap boxes demonising Russia (not that I’m defending their behaviour) and riling up the public. It’s like belligerence is the only response we have when stuff like this happens.

The West is not going to slay it’s demons (hell, the species is not going to advance!) until a major western government is brave enough to take a stand and say “you know what? There is another way”, in spite of all the glory empire boys saying “doooont forget Chamberlain, doooont appease or we’re doomed!!!”. Time to tell them to do one in my view (edited).

Sorry, the rant went a bit pear shaped at the end.
 gobrun 
Old 16-Mar-2018, 13:49   #534
BFH
Fixer of dead hard drives
BFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond repute
ranting is allowed, its foaming at the mouth we find odd
Old 16-Mar-2018, 16:25   #535
[n00b]Zippy
Waterborne Trailer-Trash
[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute
Banned Frothing Henceforth.
Old 16-Mar-2018, 16:47   #536
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Bloody Foolish Harangue
Old 23-Mar-2018, 21:08   #537
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
This is a pretty bad look.

Old 23-Mar-2018, 23:30   #538
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Bad to who? Art lovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 23-Mar-2018, 23:43   #539
[n00b]Zippy
Waterborne Trailer-Trash
[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute
Because it's "deeply disturbing and anti- Semitic" and Corbyn appears to oppose its removal?
Old 24-Mar-2018, 23:13   #540
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
How is it anti-semitic? Pretty sure there's white people there playing monopoly or whatever it is that they're doing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs