trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > General > Discussion

Old 18-Jun-2007, 17:01   #1
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Help with BT telephone line and Internet. (leady?)

I live in a shared house with a guy who's moving out at the end of the month and the phone bill is in his name. We called to switch the name on the bill and apparently the only way they'll do that is to stop the telephone line and start it again 3 minutes later. Being the suspicious people we are we figured that'd kill our DSL connection so we called up our ISP support and they confirmed our fears: If we change billing then all the services on our line will be cancelled, resulting in our DSL being cancelled.

Worse yet if we had just gone ahead with it through BT then we would have been without Internet for 3 weeks as BT don't inform the ISP when they do this which results in kerfuffle getting the line reactivated. Our ISP said the quickest way to do it was to cancel our line with them, then change with BT and then reactivate our line with them, but this would take a minimum of a week anyway. We'd also have to pay the 45+VAT line connection fee again.

Does anyone know anyone I can abuse in BT about this because it's frankly appalling that I a) can't switch names on the bill (apparently due to their billing system) or b) keep services on the line during the 3 minutes between the stop order on my housemates name and the start order under my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 18-Jun-2007, 17:29   #2
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Just spent 15 minutes on the phone to them trying to get them to change the name. They were really adamant but the lady foolishly let slip that they can change the name when someone gets married, cue me saying that we'd just got married and Gavin Willingham wants to change his name to Dale Hirst. She then said we'd have to write with a marriage certificate so if worst comes to the worst we'll fake one of those up and get it changed that way which may lead to some interesting database entries later in life but I don't really care. What really matters is they obviously have a way of changing the name they're just being too stubborn to go to the effort for us.

Does anyone have a number or email for someone high up enough to deal with this? I'd really appreciate it.

Quote:
Old 18-Jun-2007, 18:18   #3
T-Bag
please find me real friends
Tournaments Won: 1
T-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond repute
Could you not say your housemate died and you would like to change the name ?

Surely they wouldn't make you cancel it under those circumstance. Might not work now you have called a couple of times though
Send a message via MSN to T-Bag  Bag-T   BagT 
Old 18-Jun-2007, 18:19   #4
MaNiC^
off topic
Tournaments Won: 5
MaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond repute
BT are fucking useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey
We had a fight and Kirk won. He beat me to a pulp and I cried... I cried like a little bitch because I'm so gay.
Quote:
You call that breaking my spine?! You red team ladies wouldn't know how to break a spi *snap* *crash* ARGH MY SPINE!!!
Send a message via MSN to MaNiC^  Insomnikal 
Old 18-Jun-2007, 18:22   #5
NWA
Fish Schnapps
LOL, literally rolling on the floor laughing here, thought I'd give it a go changing the name by calling up again and saying I've just got married and would like to change my name... from Gavin Willingham to Dale Hirst. 2 minutes later it's done, no questions asked. Ridiculous. <3 BT.

Quote:
Old 18-Jun-2007, 18:24   #6
T-Bag
please find me real friends
T-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond repute
what ?

How does that work then.

Maybe you just got someone who knew what you were doing, wasn't an idiot and let it slide.
Send a message via MSN to T-Bag  Bag-T   BagT 
Old 18-Jun-2007, 18:46   #7
munk
chaet!
munk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond repute
congrats!
Old 18-Jun-2007, 18:54   #8
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
splendid...gratz Mrs Willingham
Old 18-Jun-2007, 22:31   #9
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
devs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond repute
y wld a bloke change his name when getting married? unless gay wedding? errrrrr gay!
Old 18-Jun-2007, 22:41   #10
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
RAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond repute
Why the fuck weren't we invited? Bageh is dead upset at not being asked to be a bride's maid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
so some tribesmen can build a silky smooth road through southern america in a land devoid of natural life yet my local council can barely manage a pot-holed to fuck track through the town, cretins
Old 18-Jun-2007, 22:56   #11
MaNiC^
off topic
Tournaments Won: 5
MaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond reputeMaNiC^ has a reputation beyond repute
lol thats how useless they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey
We had a fight and Kirk won. He beat me to a pulp and I cried... I cried like a little bitch because I'm so gay.
Quote:
You call that breaking my spine?! You red team ladies wouldn't know how to break a spi *snap* *crash* ARGH MY SPINE!!!
Send a message via MSN to MaNiC^  Insomnikal 
Old 21-Jun-2007, 16:48   #12
leady
click here to reset post count
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA
I live in a shared house with a guy who's moving out at the end of the month and the phone bill is in his name. We called to switch the name on the bill and apparently the only way they'll do that is to stop the telephone line and start it again 3 minutes later. Being the suspicious people we are we figured that'd kill our DSL connection so we called up our ISP support and they confirmed our fears: If we change billing then all the services on our line will be cancelled, resulting in our DSL being cancelled.

Worse yet if we had just gone ahead with it through BT then we would have been without Internet for 3 weeks as BT don't inform the ISP when they do this which results in kerfuffle getting the line reactivated. Our ISP said the quickest way to do it was to cancel our line with them, then change with BT and then reactivate our line with them, but this would take a minimum of a week anyway. We'd also have to pay the 45+VAT line connection fee again.

Does anyone know anyone I can abuse in BT about this because it's frankly appalling that I a) can't switch names on the bill (apparently due to their billing system) or b) keep services on the line during the 3 minutes between the stop order on my housemates name and the start order under my name.

Now for the real answer

Yes to change over the name on the bill triggers an internal cease and provide on the core BT system that manages phones (its 25 yrs old and huge). This in turn triggers a unsolicited cease request through to your SP of choice via our reports. However they can then quite simply overide this to indicate that you are changing supplier, not actually ceasing the line.

The STOP order will kill your phone for 3 minutes, but your DSL will be unaffected unless your ISP allows the triggered cease to complete.

Hope that helps
Old 21-Jun-2007, 17:02   #13
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
Ooooh Leady=win!

Interesting that with the number of student shared houses in the uk that this is still a nightmare that they all face each year. Although I bet the 45+vat change is quite an earner for BT ;-)
Old 21-Jun-2007, 18:18   #14
NWA
Fish Schnapps
Thanks for clearing that up leady, if only BT call centre staff (including 2 managers) knew that/could explain it.

Quote:
Old 21-Jun-2007, 18:31   #15
munk
chaet!
munk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond repute
and i hadn't needed to get married to a bloke? or is that bit ok
Old 21-Jun-2007, 18:59   #16
NWA
Fish Schnapps
You're just jealous coz you can't have me.

Quote:

Last edited by NWA; 21-Jun-2007 at 19:02.
Old 21-Jun-2007, 19:02   #17
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Muahaha! Now I know your surname! [/gunz]
Old 21-Jun-2007, 19:13   #18
leady
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
incidentally though, given that you have "pretended" to get married the contract is still in your name legally. If your mate defaults the debt will be yours as you will still be the contract owner (legally at least)
Old 21-Jun-2007, 19:15   #19
leady
oh and as a complete aside, trickery seems to be on the corporate ok list again now after being black screened for a while.

strange
Old 21-Jun-2007, 19:19   #20
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by leady
incidentally though, given that you have "pretended" to get married the contract is still in your name legally. If your mate defaults the debt will be yours as you will still be the contract owner (legally at least)
Other way around i think Leady, the original contract was in NWAs mates name, NWA has changed it to his name.
Old 21-Jun-2007, 23:31   #21
munk
chaet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA
You're just jealous coz you can't have me.

quite happy to wait for the divorce!
Old 22-Jun-2007, 00:04   #22
The Big Kahuna
**** off Lester
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by leady
Well, half of it will be, anyway

Go Back   trickery.net > General > Discussion