trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Forumless Games

Old 07-Aug-2013, 21:10   #1
popej
topicophiliac
popej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond repute
Dark Souls 2

FFS I want this game so badly, probably more than any other (other than more HL of course)

I noticed Dark Souls doesn't have much of a following on trickery which is odd.

It is after all THE GREATEST GAME IN THE HISTORY OF GAMES. YES, I DID SAY "THE HISTORY OF GAMES"!

Seriously though, play it.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... [contemptuous laugh] Titans on fire off the shoulder of YZ-LQL. I watched tachyons (tech 2) glitter in the dark near the NOL-M9 Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. Time... to die..."

Last edited by popej; 07-Aug-2013 at 21:14.
 gobrun 
Old 07-Aug-2013, 22:37   #2
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Minty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond repute
The reason it doesnt have many trickery fans is because many of us are PC gamers and the original Dark Souls on PC was a shite port that used Games For Windows Live.
Old 07-Aug-2013, 22:59   #3
Sin
TheMutsNuts.
Sin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond repute
Few of my mates have played it and the love it like but do say its 10x better with a pad. I fancy number 2 but cba with number 1 lol dunno why.
Old 08-Aug-2013, 21:22   #4
popej
topicophiliac
popej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
The reason it doesnt have many trickery fans is because many of us are PC gamers and the original Dark Souls on PC was a shite port that used Games For Windows Live.
DSFix and the mouse fix for all your PC gaming woes.

The port is actually completely identical to the console versions (I know that's not praise) and with the PC fixes it's about 40 times better. It needs a control pad in my opinion and I'm usually surgically attached to my mouse & keyboard.

Don't believe the anti-hype, it's pretty much all bollocks and knee-jerk.

I actually bought it on both the 360 and the PC, it's that good. It's the best game since HL2 as far as I'm concerned, no bullshit.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... [contemptuous laugh] Titans on fire off the shoulder of YZ-LQL. I watched tachyons (tech 2) glitter in the dark near the NOL-M9 Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. Time... to die..."
 gobrun 
Old 10-Mar-2014, 16:28   #5
popej
topicophiliac
Number 2 finally out at the end of the week for the console boxes chaps. 25th April for the PC version. Like the complete sucker I am I'll be getting both the 360 version and the PC version. I cannot wait you see? Waiting is out of the question.

Anyone else?
 gobrun 
Old 10-Mar-2014, 19:29   #6
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Minty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond repute
Ill be getting it. PC only, Im not a fucking nutter. Theyve promised the PC port will be better this time around as they admitted to just "rushing" to get the last game onto PC as quickly as possible. (Even with mods, some areas performance is just fucking dreadful. Blighttown and Demon Ruins for example)

Ill prolly ask for it as a birfday present though, as it comes out a couple of days before mine, so ties in nicely. Currently MASSIVELY enjoying DS1 though. Doing a hell of a lot of co-op and challenging myself to keep my character level as low as possible. Just completed Sens Fortress as a level 17 thief and it was a piece of piss.
Old 22-Mar-2014, 09:13   #7
Xivo
postaholic
Xivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond repute
About to start Dark Souls 1 so i'll be clued up ready for number 2.
Obviously I've heard all about the dire PC port.
Can any of you guys point me in the right direction for any mods that may help solve this? Any you lot have experience with?
Cheers.
Old 22-Mar-2014, 10:15   #8
popej
topicophiliac
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?tag=dsfix - <--- utterly utterly essential.
-Before installing it run the game once and set the settings using the in game menu. Quit out and then install DSFix. Don't touch the in game settings after that.
-Make sure you turn off the intro splashscreens in the DSFix .ini as they get annoying fast and you can't skip them by default.
-I personally wouldn't recommend using the frame rate uncapper to exceed frame rates over 30fps as it can cause some weird shit to go down. Instead, simply enable the frame rate unlocker but then set a manual cap of 30fps. This has some performance benefits for some reason I'm not entirely sure of.
-Other than that the DSfix.ini default settings are good to go unless you want to up the lighting effects etc.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~petska/ <--- If you want to try and play with a mouse use this. I'd highly recommend using a control pad though. This is one game where I held my hands up and admitted that mouse/keyboard isn't the way.

Also, the port isn't dire, or at least only to the extent that it's an almost exact replica of the console versions. However, you get a PC's power behind it so the framerate is going to better and the gameplay smoother.

With DSfix it really is a pretty game. Don't trust the negativity.

edit: Oh and keep dying but keep trying. It really is revelatory when you start to get the hang of it. Best game since HL2 imo.
edit2: Oh, check out the DS Nexus as well. There's a few minor graphical mods on there that are worth installing: http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/m...ltime/?adult=0

Last edited by popej; 22-Mar-2014 at 10:21.
 gobrun 
Old 22-Mar-2014, 12:21   #9
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Other than the above mod advice, I would strongly suggest avoiding any kind of advice about where to go, what class to choose, what build to play, etc. Figure out the game yourself and learn the game in your own time. Dying will happen a lot, but its an important part of the game so go with it.

One thing to mention though (as this wasnt clear to me) is whether to be human or not. When youre at a bonfire, you have an option to "Reverse Hollowing" which you can only use if youve accumulated humanity (The counter in the top left). There are various ways to accumulate humanity, but Ill let you figure that out yourself Reversing hollowing will put you into human form, which is essentially how you play the game online. When you are hollow, you can see messages from other players left on the floor and you can see "shades" of other people playing the game, but you dont really have any other way of interacting with them. Being human will allow you to summon help for tough bosses... but it will also let other players invade your world and try to kill you. It can be risky (particularly at low levels), but also rewarding so I try to be human as much as possible. It may serve you better, at least to begin with, to only go human when youre struggling with a boss and even then you may struggle to find help sometimes (The netcode for this game isnt great. You will see the message "Summoning Failed" a lot. Keep trying though, you get somebody eventually)

Also, the story might sound like utter bollocks, with seriously poor dialogue, but its actually deceptively good. Pay close attention to what people say to pick up on clues for certain areas, or about the lore of the game. Oh and keep pushing NPCs for information. Sometimes you have to talk to them 5 times, go away for an hour and come back and talk to them 5 more times to get everything out of them. Everybody has SOMETHING important to say. Just dont be put off by the creepy laughs. Pretty much everybody you meet is going to laugh in your face.
Old 22-Mar-2014, 21:55   #10
Xivo
postaholic
Xivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond reputeXivo has a reputation beyond repute
Nevermind sorted
Going to try Knight.

Last edited by Xivo; 23-Mar-2014 at 00:10.
Old 23-Mar-2014, 17:24   #11
Xivo
postaholic
Thanks for the advice guys, i know you said dont ask what the best class is to play, but atm im playing Knight and i like the game but find that the class isnt my style of play.
What did you 2 play and did you enjoy them?
Old 23-Mar-2014, 19:33   #12
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Just level up differently. Your "class" determines your starting stats, but it doesnt dictate how you have to play. You can start off as a sorcerer and end up as a knight, or vice versa. Its all in how you allocate your points when you level up.

So far Ive played Wanderer (High dexterity, high speed attacks), Thief (Reliance on critical hits. Particularly parrying and ripostes. Tough to master) and Im currently playing Warrior which is heavy on strength. I just hit 50 strength so I can now wield some of the craziest weapons in the game.

I enjoyed them all, but Im definitely going to try a cleric next. That being said, I will reiterate: It doesnt matter what you picked at the start, it matters how you gear and level up.
Old 23-Mar-2014, 19:59   #13
Xivo
postaholic
Ah right great.
Looking foward to having a good go at this. Some of the bosses look pretty beast.
Old 23-Mar-2014, 22:48   #14
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
What bosses have you done so far?
Old 23-Mar-2014, 22:54   #15
popej
topicophiliac
Pyromancer is a good starting class. Having access to some pyromancies off the bat isn't to be sniffed at.
 gobrun 
Old 23-Mar-2014, 23:24   #16
Xivo
postaholic
Just killed the weird guy with the 3 masks who splits into duplicates of itself.

Last edited by Xivo; 23-Mar-2014 at 23:39.
Old 24-Mar-2014, 00:23   #17
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xivo View Post
Just killed the weird guy with the 3 masks who splits into duplicates of itself.
Oh so youre reasonably far in then. Thats the easiest boss in the game btw. The path youre on is about to get a lot LOT tougher
Old 24-Mar-2014, 00:40   #18
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Quote:
Originally Posted by popej View Post
Pyromancer is a good starting class. Having access to some pyromancies off the bat isn't to be sniffed at.
Plus they start at level 1, so gives you plenty of room to maneuver when levelling up.

Last edited by Minty; 24-Mar-2014 at 00:44.
Old 24-Mar-2014, 09:37   #19
Stuie
postaholic
Stuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond repute
i'm waiting on the PC release, massive fan of dark souls, never got the chance to play demon souls. http://www.shopto.net/video-games/pc...-dark-souls-ii found this deal for the pc version, anyone recommend shopto?
 stus house 
Old 24-Mar-2014, 12:37   #20
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Ordered 2 things in the past from shopto, including a pre-order which arrived the day before release. Theyre quick and cheap. Thumbs up from me.
Old 24-Jul-2014, 18:55   #21
Xivo
postaholic
Sorry for giving this thread a Necro but any verdict on how good this game is?
Played it for around 45 mins so far but just not enjoying it, is it typically a slow starter? Or is it not as good as the first?
Old 24-Jul-2014, 19:16   #22
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
I wasnt a fan. Its a decent game, but the original is a drastic improvement. World design, boss design, story.... everything except the graphics was better about the first game and even then, Id say that the art direction was better. The online component was more reliable, but its also like playing the fisher price version of dark souls online.

I honestly think youre better off with the first game.
Old 16-Dec-2014, 19:33   #23
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announced!

Bit of an odd one this. Its basically a re-release of the same game, but with some new features. Owners of the original game will receive the upgrade for free, but the new version will be available on Xbox 360, PS3, Xbone, PS4 and PC. Speaking of new features, they are as follows:
  • New NPCs to add depth and lore to the existing storyline
  • Augmented item descriptions (A lot of the lore ingame comes from item descriptions. Dark Souls 1 did this very well, but 2 is a little too vague. This change should improve this issue)
  • Game balanced adjusted (This is quite vague, but I believe it will include adjustments to the soul level matchmaking system, amongst other changes)
  • Upgraded graphics. The Windows version will be upgraded to DirectX 11. (Graphics will not be upgraded on Xbox360 and PS3, but this does sound like we will be getting the lighting system promised in the pre-release gameplay trailers)
  • Improved online matchmaking (Connect to more players at a time and more easily)
Old 20-Dec-2014, 12:21   #24
popej
topicophiliac
Annoyed it's going to be so long until it's released, because I want to get on it again now!
 gobrun 

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Forumless Games