trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 18-Jul-2008, 09:21   #1
Mr_Skiff
Under The Thumb
Mr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond repute
Laptop Woes!

Apologies for the long post, check the bottom to see the short version

I spent the best part of 3 hours trying to repair a Laptop yesterday, the offending HP NC6120 has thrown up a "1782 Disk Controller Failure" error upon booting up. Windows does not load because the next message that displays is "Non system disk detected" etc.

The HD can be detected in the Bios so to save this employees work I thought I could just simply transfer the data from his HD to another.... WRONG! This Hitachi Travelstar has a connection I have never seen before, it says ATA/IDE on the label but it looks nothing like one, it may be a new version of ATA/IDE as it looks like a continuos female connector. The Male connector on the Laptop looks a like a huge continuos SATA connector, puzzling I know.

So I cannot transfer the data off the HD as I dont have the tools or another similar Laptop, the next step would be to try and fix the 1782 error. I googled some website and a forum poster suggested removing the RTC battery for 5 minutes and then reconnecting. Has anyone ever tried to take a Laptop apart? I mean I was bleeding from about 4 fingers and was ready to use it as a trampoline.

After removing the outer case and cracking several plasic covers I manged to remove the RTC battery, the hard part was trying to reconnect all the cables that are about 3mm in length back to the main board. I literally had to squash my hand between the keyboard and bottom half of the case and try and connect the cables with my fingers blind as there was hardly any cable leeway at all. Anyway long story short that didn't work so I decided to smash up an old PC in the server room in anger.

Next step was to use a USB flash drive that had Windows XP on it courtesy of BartPE, this didn't work either as a I was presented with a "163 Date/Time not set" error followed by the 1782.

So in brief:

Laptop Disk Controller Failure
Cannot recover data as weird HD connection
Cannot solve Disk Controller Failure (After much blood spilled and bad language)
Laptop will not boot from CD-ROM or USB

Does anyone have any ideas apart from pissing on it?
Old 18-Jul-2008, 10:30   #2
pHk
lolzipan
pHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond repute
Can't you get past the "Date/Time" not set one by setting the 'Date/Time" in BIOS?

Try to figure out which exotic connector that disk is using, maybe there's a converter cable somewhere? Sounds to me like the laptop is essential fucked because the disk controller has pissed its pants, so the laptop itself is probably FUBAR. I'd focus on trying to get data off that disk.
Old 18-Jul-2008, 10:30   #3
Q-Target
he'll hoof you in the works
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
This sounds like a DNS problem.
Old 18-Jul-2008, 10:51   #4
pHk
lolzipan
pHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond repute
You're not the only one with this problem apparently: there's a number of convertors and "caddies" on Ebay that are supposed to be able to connect to those particular hard drives.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-NC6120-HARD-D...807131218r2880
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-NC6120-HARD-D...807131218r2880

http://www.excelcomputerinc.com/html/xldriveadapter.asp
Old 18-Jul-2008, 10:51   #5
Mr_Skiff
Under The Thumb
Mr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond repute
The Date/Time error only occurs when booting from the USB drive, I changed the date in the BIOS but it still comes up with the Disk Controller error. This is the 2nd HP Laptop now to have this same problem, ah well the company can always buy another one because I dont want to waste anymore time on it

I'll have a look for that convertor now, cheers pHk mate.

I think it maybe a DNS problem QT, it Does Not Start (See what I did there?)

EDIT - This is the one

Whats the point in shying away from the industry standard ATA and SATA drives ffs!

Last edited by Mr_Skiff; 18-Jul-2008 at 10:57.
Old 18-Jul-2008, 10:57   #6
pHk
lolzipan
Try to figure out which connector it is exactly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Atta..._ATA_interface
Old 18-Jul-2008, 11:59   #7
Harry Palmer
Gun nut
Harry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond repute
if you look after HP stuff you can find a lot of helpful info in the Services Media Library
http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/

Notebooks& Tablet PCs-->HP Compaq Notebook PCs-->HP Compaq nc6120 Notebook PC for the laptop you have...
in there you can usually find FRU removal/replacement procedures, part numbers, service guides etc.

Reminder: "Do not look into laser with remaining good eye."
 Lupins 
Old 18-Jul-2008, 12:09   #8
Mr_Skiff
Under The Thumb
Er.. Oops.

I would have looked at that Harry but I've just gone and done this to it:

http://www.uploading.com/files/IDLE9...F0852.AVI.html

Shitty site wants you to wait 4 minutes per download but its worth it, HP laptops can take alot of punishment
Old 18-Jul-2008, 15:02   #9
Mr_Skiff
Under The Thumb
Youtube link for the impatient:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GUVwDd2LA

Last edited by Mr_Skiff; 18-Jul-2008 at 15:05.
Old 18-Jul-2008, 22:46   #10
[n00b]Furious
poster of the month
[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future
I would love to do that to some of our users....................especially the f***ing receptionist, I could quite happily drop her off the top of the building.
Remember this, Remember everything is just black or burning sun
Send a message via ICQ to [n00b]Furious Send a message via MSN to [n00b]Furious
Old 18-Jul-2008, 22:50   #11
Rainy
Monkeh Feel0r
Tournaments Won: 1
Rainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond reputeRainy has a reputation beyond repute
LOL skiffy that's great
 TBM Rainy 

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware