trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 26-Jun-2010, 11:47   #1
Bilbo Fraggins
posts for a living
Bilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond repute
Laptop screen tiling problem.

Looking for some help if poss please chaps.
Booted my laptop yesterday and couldn't get anything to show on the screen.
Much more rebooting ensued until eventually some success and something happened on screen.
Everything looked normal on booting until the Vista login screen where the screen was tiled into about 6 segments.

Here's what I've found since...
Running a standard vga driver works fine and allows resolutions up to 1440x900 on the laptop.
Running a couple of versions of nvidia driver re-creates the tiling.
Running the nvidia driver I can display to an external monitor with no problems at all resolutions.
Disconnecting external monitor brings the image back to the laptop where the tiling instantly appears.

So now I'm not sure what's wrong.
At first I thought driver, but I'm thinking if its driver then it wouldn't display on an external monitor.
Then I thought laptop screen but then if I dont use the nvidia driver the laptop screen works fine up to max resolution.
Thought the card/chip could be faulty but then it displays fine to external monitor.

So now I dont know what to think.

I'm running Vista and the card/chip is a Geforce 8600M GS

Any ideas or help appreciated
Old 26-Jun-2010, 15:14   #2
Onions
it's still christmas
Onions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond reputeOnions has a reputation beyond repute

"As much as onions is a giant ginger bag of mashed twats who doesn't technically constitute one whole human due to his massive lack of self esteem, bad face, and the fact he hails from scotland (the small s is intentional to indicate the insignificance of the place), he does make a valid point!"
Old 26-Jun-2010, 15:23   #3
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
look up vista black screen of death, sounds similar, the lappy i looked at for a mate was only fixed by running chkdsk not the fixes i found online, had to use defrag off heurens cd to be able to do it though as disk was locked even on boot in to safe mode

when changing the drivers are you properly cleaning out the remnants before putting a diff version on? if not it could cause issues
Old 26-Jun-2010, 18:19   #4
Bilbo Fraggins
posts for a living
Bilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond reputeBilbo Fraggins has a reputation beyond repute
Only 2 drivers were ever made for this laptop and I've tried both since the problem.
Found a program called driver sweeper earlier which seems to have gotten rid of the remnants.
A fresh install however has made no difference.
Running chkdsk now and will see what happens.

Also ran the BLSOD fix which made no difference

Will report back with outcome of chkdsk

Thanks!
Old 27-Jun-2010, 00:40   #5
Bilbo Fraggins
posts for a living
chkdsk and a re-install of windows hasn't fixed it

If there's no driver installed for a gpu does that mean the gpu isn't used at all and cpu is used for displays?

If the link between gpu and my monitor screen is knackered that might explain the problem
Old 27-Jun-2010, 12:59   #6
[n00b]Furious
poster of the month
[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future[n00b]Furious has a brilliant future
If there is no driver installed for the gpu, then it will use the Windows basic vga driver instead
Remember this, Remember everything is just black or burning sun
Send a message via ICQ to [n00b]Furious Send a message via MSN to [n00b]Furious

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware