trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 19-Apr-2017, 14:52   #1
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
New PC dilemma

I can't decide between 2 set ups for a new PC. It's either an mATX board in a Define Mini C or a full ATX board in a Raijintek Thetis case. mATX is cheaper, yet weirdly the full ATX is smaller. Any suggestions? I was hoping to go ITX in a Core 500 but "lol AM4 itx doesn't exist".
Old 19-Apr-2017, 15:18   #2
Belgarath
topic of the pops
Belgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond repute
Mini-ITX AM4 boards will be out fairly soon if you can wait.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/bio...zen,34172.html
Old 19-Apr-2017, 15:21   #3
Belgarath
topic of the pops
Belgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond reputeBelgarath has a reputation beyond repute
What kind of graphics card are you thinking of? I had a succession of Shuttle cases which were nice and small, but the heat from a beefy graphics card was always a problem. It meant the case designs had to be pretty open, which in turn meant they weren't that quiet.
Old 19-Apr-2017, 15:22   #4
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
Biostar supposedly had x300 boards for launch with Ryzen 7, but they still haven't shown up. Biostar are also not very good boards by all accounts anyway.

GPU will either be a 1060 or 480, depending on what's cheapest at the time.
Old 19-Apr-2017, 15:27   #5
Belgarath
topic of the pops
Presumably the other manufacturers will have their ITX offerings out in due course though, depending on how long you're prepared to wait.
Old 19-Apr-2017, 15:31   #6
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
It's more how long my PC will last. It's a P965 platinum motherboard, and the sata ports have started playing up. Plus I don't really need an ITX build, I just thought it would be nice. Anything smaller than my current Antec Nine Hundred is fine by me.
Old 19-Apr-2017, 17:36   #7
Belgarath
topic of the pops
The Raijintek Thetis looks ok. The mounting of the PSU looks a bit fiddly, you wouldn't be able to use a standard kettle plug and you'd have to be careful of the venting from the bottom - not stand it on carpet.

Nano S could be another option - it's also ITX, but looks quiet. Nice summation of pros and cons here:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/ca...s-case-review/

Define S is similar size to what you have now, but you have a bit more room and more options as to the layout.

Presumably you've backed everything up by now. So if it does go pop are you ok to manage a few days sans PC whilst you order in the parts and do the build, or would you need a replacement ready to go?
Old 19-Apr-2017, 18:22   #8
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Standard kettle plug goes in the back of the Thetis, there's a flat pass through cable that plugs into the psu. The exhaust could be an issue though as I do stand the PC on carpet currently. Backed up? Yes, of course............./runs.
Old 20-Apr-2017, 21:17   #9
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
The new Phanteks Evolv mATX looks rather nice...
Old 21-Apr-2017, 03:15   #10
Belgarath
topic of the pops
Looks a good quality bit of kit. How does the tempered glass compare to sound insulation for sound levels? For me, it's a box that lives under my desk, so I don't want windows and I especially don't want lights, but I do want quiet. If you do want to go the display route with all the RGB and everything, then it looks pretty sweet. Similar sort of size to your current one - bit wider, less depth, fractionally less height.

Old 21-Apr-2017, 07:45   #11
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
I hadn't spotted its size, that's pretty big for mATX. I managed to find a price and it's a bit steep too compared to the other options. I still can't get my head around how small the Thetis is considering it's full atx.
Old 21-Apr-2017, 11:44   #12
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
I'd just go Define Mini C if I were you. Nice case, good stock fans.

It's what I was going to get two of to use as workstation + gaming rigs before I decided to combine them into one virtualised mega-tower.
Old 21-Apr-2017, 11:56   #13
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungboy View Post
I hadn't spotted its size, that's pretty big for mATX. I managed to find a price and it's a bit steep too compared to the other options. I still can't get my head around how small the Thetis is considering it's full atx.
If you don't need to cater for a stack of HDD at the vented front it gets quite easy. Flipping the PSU a good move also to ensure card depth.

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware