trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Programming

Old 18-Aug-2015, 12:06   #1
BFH
Fixer of dead hard drives
BFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond repute
Jquery selecting a specific form element thats repeated

I've got a form that is repeated multiple times on the page.

Within that form are two fields, for organisation name and corresponding ID.

This code:

Code:
jQuery(document).ready(function(){
		$('#orgname').autocomplete({
		source:'includes/searchclientname.php', 
		minLength:1,
		select:function(evt, ui)
		{
			document.getElementById("orgid").value = ui.item.orgid;
		}
	});

});
Basically matches up the name as it's entered and spits out the id into the hidden ID field.

The problem is that it's only working for the 1st form on the page - all the other orgname boxes in the other forms are ignored, so I need it to pickup the selected orgname field each time rather than always assuming its the first one on the page...

If you follow.

I've tried the "this" selector but not sure I'm doing it right - any pointers?
Old 18-Aug-2015, 19:19   #2
The Dark One
meh
The Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond repute
You could loop over all the matching elements and add the autocomplete handler to each?

Code:
$( document ).ready(function() {

$( "#orgname" ).each(function() {		
		$( this ).autocomplete({
			select:function(evt, ui) {
			}
	});

});
$( document ) is more habit, I've never really used jQuery(document).ready(function(){ as a syntax, both are perfectly valid

Last edited by The Dark One; 18-Aug-2015 at 19:26.
Old 18-Aug-2015, 19:44   #3
BFH
BFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm ok - ta - will give that a bash tomorrow and see what happens.

Cheers
Old 19-Aug-2015, 10:35   #4
BFH
Hmm browser said your code was missing stuff " )} " - i've added this in so the error has cleared up but I can still only use the first org name box on the page..

Code:
$( document ).ready(function() {
	$( "#orgname" ).each(function() {		
		$( this ).autocomplete({
			}
			})
	});

});
Old 19-Aug-2015, 10:54   #5
Ned
posts for a living
Tournaments Won: 1
Ned has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond repute
Multiple elements with the same ID (orgid), therefore it selects the first one?
Old 19-Aug-2015, 10:58   #6
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
Firstly make sure you're not using the same ID more than once. You can't do $('#orgname').each(...) because there should only be a single element with the ID "orgname".

Code:
$('form.whatever').each(function() {
	var $this = $(this);
	$this.autocomplete({
			$this.children('.hidden-field-class').first().val(ui.item.orgid);
		}
	});
});
Use .find() instead of .children() if the hidden field isn't a top level element inside the form.

There's almost certainly a better way of doing that but it should work if you put in the right selectors.
Old 19-Aug-2015, 12:55   #7
BFH
The field isn't hidden though - its for the user to enter a client name into which the jquery stuff then provides as a drop down list from the existing data - ie. matching as they type.

My problem is that I could have any number of these client fields visible at once so need a way to have this code run against the one that is active - and as you say, there can only be one element with that ID as a name so it makes send the code should only work on the first one found. Presumably then I should give them a NAME rather than ID?

Last edited by BFH; 19-Aug-2015 at 12:59.
Old 19-Aug-2015, 13:24   #8
Ned
posts for a living
Tournaments Won: 1
Ned has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah use name rather than ID. Or give them a unique ID which you can somehow tie with the input the auto complete is on.

Better might be to do something like this:

https://jsfiddle.net/dat3df7m/

I've used focusout just as an example trigger as not got the autocomplete stuff on jsfiddle.

It gets the parent div and then find the hidden input (based on class name) within it to update. So assuming each of your sections is within its own div/other wrapper then it should work.
Old 19-Aug-2015, 16:36   #9
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceased View Post
The field isn't hidden though - its for the user to enter a client name into which the jquery stuff then provides as a drop down list from the existing data - ie. matching as they type.

My problem is that I could have any number of these client fields visible at once so need a way to have this code run against the one that is active - and as you say, there can only be one element with that ID as a name so it makes send the code should only work on the first one found. Presumably then I should give them a NAME rather than ID?
I meant the hidden ID field you mentioned in the first post.
Old 19-Aug-2015, 17:06   #10
BFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken View Post
I meant the hidden ID field you mentioned in the first post.
yes of course - woken up now.

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Programming

Tags
open it in notepad