trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:41   #1
Captain Kirk
bandwidth bill in the post
Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk
Question Whats this worth?

My tower is long over due a upgrade. (Athlon 1400 etc, no laughing at the back! It runs Q3 well enough ).
Anyways, the Kirk funds are being heavily restricted by my other half due to our recent new baby arrival and my squandering silly amounts of money watching Hull City get to wembley and a new swanky road bike.
So I've be scouring Ebay for a bargain or two. I need something that will play the latest CPU/GPU hungry games such as COD 4, Quake 4 and Doom 3 etc (my social is all but dead for a while so I need something new to amuse me on the PC )
I have no idea at all which of the latest CPU's or GPHX cards I need to be aiming for and all I need is a new tower, got around 200 budget so I've been looking at soemthing along these specs, will this do the trick for my needs:

Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80GHz 2 CPU's (5.6Ghz)
1,536 MB
8600GTS
380 GB HDD
DVD+/-RW
windows XP professional

etc etc

There's one going for 200 quid at this spec, is that about right for the money?

Cheers for any help.

Kirk out

"I'm gunna ride that cocksucker like a motherfucker !"
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:49   #2
Q-Target
he'll hoof you in the works
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
If you get the original media for the XP, I reckon it is.

My comedy answer was going to be:

1 groat
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:56   #3
Captain Kirk
Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk Captain Kirk
What is the exchange rate between Groats and GBP atm? His reserve is 200 and that aint in groats either

Kirk out

Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:59   #4
Q-Target
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
A groat was 4 pence in ye olde cash, so with inflation it's probably the equivalent of 200 quid now.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 15:00   #5
Captain Kirk
You have way too much spare time on your hands at work dood!

I've offered him 200 quid inc delievery, see how I get on.

Kirk out

Old 11-Aug-2008, 15:05   #6
Q-Target
I've updated 34 pages of our site today - fuck all in real terms but nobody here knows precisely what that involves so 34 sounds like a big number and a great deal of work.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 15:44   #7
Captain Kirk
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=009

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=015

Which one is offering better value for money? Second one seems pretty good spec for the money (considering my limited knowlegde on the subject that is!).

Kirk out

Old 11-Aug-2008, 16:15   #8
Barb
poster of the month
Barb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond repute
The first link imo. The dual core Athlon.
 FlatCapnWhippet   JerrytheLintElf 
Old 11-Aug-2008, 16:34   #9
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I've got an X2 4800 I'm thinking of flogging, along with an X1900XTX 512mb if you want to upgrade it immedaitely.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 19:40   #10
Captain Kirk
You just selling the CPU and ghpx card ? Or the whole tower (thats what i'm after really). If so how much you looking for?

Kirk out

Old 11-Aug-2008, 22:48   #11
Ciber
poster of the month
Ciber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond repute
You could build one that plays crysis etc. for 300, look here on custom pc: http://www.custompc.co.uk/phpbb/view...2c7dfe1b36ad60 At least check out the spec for ideas on what sort of spec to look for in a prebuilt machine, such as the 8800GT 512mb graphics.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 23:28   #12
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I couldn't in all honesty sell you the whole tower. It's helluva noisy, as the fan on the chipset spins at 7500. The case is shit too. I was on about if you bought that one up there, the cpu and gfx card would slot nicely into it.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 23:36   #13
Captain Kirk
Aaah, I see. The guy mailed me back and has said he'd accept 200 for this one:

He's even dropped the BIN price from 250. Seems like a good price and tbh would more then meet my game playing needs for the forseeable future. You reckon it's a good price? I've google a few of the component prices and it all adds up to well over 200 quid and thats without an OS.

Kirk out

Old 11-Aug-2008, 23:37   #14
T-Bag
please find me real friends
Tournaments Won: 1
T-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk'n'Clue View Post
I couldn't in all honesty sell you the whole tower. It's helluva noisy, as the fan on the chipset spins at 7500. The case is shit too. I was on about if you bought that one up there, the cpu and gfx card would slot nicely into it.

sell me it to me with the motherboard and ram !
Send a message via MSN to T-Bag  Bag-T   BagT 
Old 11-Aug-2008, 23:38   #15
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
If you like...I didn't think you were that interested, as I posted in another thread about it.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 23:39   #16
Captain Kirk
Heh, whose tagged my thread with Hull are shit ! Blaspheme for sure !

Kirk out

Old 12-Aug-2008, 09:24   #17
T-Bag
please find me real friends
T-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk'n'Clue View Post
If you like...I didn't think you were that interested, as I posted in another thread about it.

What post was that ? don't think I saw it!
Send a message via MSN to T-Bag  Bag-T   BagT 
Old 12-Aug-2008, 09:28   #18
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
I can't find it now. Maybe we should take this to PM.
Old 12-Aug-2008, 09:29   #19
Q-Target
I'd wait for a general election tbh - I doubt you'll have much luck with the current one.
Old 12-Aug-2008, 09:33   #20
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
That's terrible! But good. In a way.
Old 12-Aug-2008, 19:55   #21
Ciber
poster of the month
Ciber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
Aaah, I see. The guy mailed me back and has said he'd accept 200 for this one:

He's even dropped the BIN price from 250. Seems like a good price and tbh would more then meet my game playing needs for the forseeable future. You reckon it's a good price? I've google a few of the component prices and it all adds up to well over 200 quid and thats without an OS.

Kirk out
I suppose that's all you can hope to get for 200.
Old 12-Aug-2008, 21:46   #22
Captain Kirk
Yay, got it for 165 quid inc delivery. Time to moth ball me old Athlon 1400

Kirk out

Old 12-Aug-2008, 21:54   #23
*XeR0x*
Eyebrows
*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute*XeR0x* has a reputation beyond repute
Thats a bargain!

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Tags
hull > leeds, hull are shit, hull is shit, open it in notepad