trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Software & Security

Old 11-Aug-2008, 13:48   #1
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
I am a Nub

Today I am an excel nub. How can I quickly get from a spreadsheet in which the data is stored in the usual row=record column=data to a textfile that looks like

data1
data2
data3
data4
data5
data6

data1
data2
data3
data4
data5
data6

data1
data2
data3
data4
data5
data6

etc. No delimitation required.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 13:49   #2
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
What volume of data are we talking about?
Old 11-Aug-2008, 13:51   #3
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
500 records with 9 data entries each, one of which is a description rife with punctuation.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 13:55   #4
Q-Target
he'll hoof you in the works
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a job for Access tbh
Old 11-Aug-2008, 13:56   #5
Inertiaman
The mere mention of access makes a bit of sick come up the back of my throat.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 13:57   #6
burundi
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
9 sql statements, first one returns all entries for column 1 , second for column 2 etc... copy and paste the results into notepad.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 13:59   #7
Inertiaman
No that'll leave me with effectively a non-delimited file in which the data is;

data1 data 2 data 3 etc
data1 data 2 data 3 etc

Wheras I want (and sod it I'll post the example sans name)

=====

The Club Hotel and Spa
Green Street
St Helier
JE2 4UH
Reservation Tel: 01534 876 500
Web: www.theclubjersey.com
Email: reservations@theclubjersey.com
Double B&B: 146.25
Includes 25% Telegraph Discount
Single B&B: 146.25
Excludes: Suites
Hotel Description: The Club Hotel & Spa is Jersey's 'Red Star' premier town house luxury hotel. The hotel boasts a luxury spa, Michelin star, 4 AA Rosette restaurant Bohemia, a second 'New York Cafe' style restaurant The Club Cafe, an honesty bar, 38 fantastic guestrooms and 8 suites as well as an outdoor pool and large roof terrace. Making this not only one of the best hotels in Jersey, but one of the leading town-house hotels in Europe.
Rooms: 46
Facilities: 5,6,7,8,9,10
Grade: AA 4 Red Stars

The Club Hotel and Spa
Green Street
St Helier
JE2 4UH
Hotel Description: The Club Hotel & Spa is Jersey's 'Red Star' premier town house luxury hotel. The hotel boasts a luxury spa, Michelin star, 4 AA Rosette restaurant Bohemia, a second 'New York Cafe' style restaurant The Club Cafe, an honesty bar, 38 fantastic guestrooms and 8 suites as well as an outdoor pool and large roof terrace. Making this not only one of the best hotels in Jersey, but one of the leading town-house hotels in Europe.

The Club Hotel and Spa
Green Street
St Helier
JE2 4UH
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:00   #8
Inertiaman
By the way I personally have no requirement for such a bent, pointless idiot of a textfile. It's a client who I'm convinced are emailing me these requirements from a speak and spell.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:01   #9
Q-Target
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
I refer you to the answer I gave a few moments ago.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:03   #10
Inertiaman
As a serious response, I don't even have access to Access within a helpful timeframe. Had no requirement for the little sod for donkeys and my MS cd's are at Sam's. Was hoping to find an intelligent way out with Excel.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:07   #11
Q-Target
Hmmm...well, if you are able to add in record numbers it could feasibly be done but the amount of donkey work required would probably take as long as converting it to access, running a report, printing to pdf and copying and pasting to notepad.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:08   #12
Inertiaman
Sickness.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:09   #13
pHk
lolzipan
pHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond repute
Copy into notepad, search and replace the spaces (or tabs) with break-lines?
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:10   #14
Inertiaman
Was just thinking that but how do you replace with a break?
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:10   #15
Q-Target
Pasting into word would be much simpler. Hadn't considered that. In word you do a Ctrl+H and click special.

Edit: After you've converted table to text of course...actually that might do the whole thing for you...maybe.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:11   #16
Inertiaman
So I'm going to CSV the bastard then S&R with an ^M.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:12   #17
pHk
lolzipan
pHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond reputepHk has a reputation beyond repute
Either you type something, enter, type something else and select just the characters between the two lines, Ctrl+C and then paste into the "Replace by" box (it'll appear as a square).

Or, you can use ALT + ASCII code of a break-line in the same "Replace by" box.

BREAKING NEWS! None of the above actually works here. I'm sure you can do it though, I've done it before.

Notepad++ might be easier, as you can use "\n" etc.

Last edited by pHk; 11-Aug-2008 at 14:18.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:14   #18
Q-Target
OK, I have a plan - you add in a final column of data and populate it with something like ###### all the way down. Then you copy the lot into word, convert table to text with the tab delimiter. Do a find/replace replacing tab with line break and then you do another find/replace replacing ###### with line break.

That'd work.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:14   #19
matrices
Beeb > PC
matrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond repute
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-1029399.html

That the kind of thing you're looking for?

M

Edit: Bah! so many posts whilst I'm trying to understand the porblem
The only difference is that there is no cat.
- Albert Einstein
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:14   #20
burundi
Do it in word as a mail merge.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:15   #21
Q-Target
I ruled out transpose straight away as it is a double transpose he's looking to do.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:15   #22
Q-Target
Quote:
Originally Posted by burundi View Post
Winner.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:19   #23
matrices
Beeb > PC
matrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond reputematrices has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Target View Post
I ruled out transpose straight away as it is a double transpose he's looking to do.
Fair enough.

tbh though, I'm finding it pretty depressing that this is the highlight of my day atm

M
The only difference is that there is no cat.
- Albert Einstein
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:20   #24
Q-Target
Like bees round a honey pot. To bring in today's theme.

<obvious question removed>

Last edited by Q-Target; 11-Aug-2008 at 14:23.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:42   #25
Inertiaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by burundi View Post
You're a fucking genius. That or I'm a complete idiot. Maybe a bit of both.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 14:48   #26
Q-Target
Funny how our minds immediately stretch out to find a complicated solution when the simplest solution gets overlooked. With hindsight it's fucking obvious.
Old 11-Aug-2008, 20:09   #27
qui
Iron Man 3
qui has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond repute
noobs
Old 11-Aug-2008, 20:50   #28
burundi
Burundi - master of the bleeding obvious.
Old 12-Aug-2008, 00:12   #29
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Sierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond repute
Get notepad++ anyway cos it's ace.
Send a message via ICQ to Sierro Send a message via AIM to Sierro Send a message via MSN to Sierro Send a message via Yahoo to Sierro  Sierro 

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Software & Security

Tags
nut requires sledgehammer, open it in notepad

Users Viewing Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)