trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Old 12-Nov-2008, 09:33   #1
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Sorting line problems with BT

This is a long shot:

Over the past week by connection has turned to shit. BT obviously take the line "well I can talk to you on this number so it must be working".

The details are as follows:

Disconnected all devices and tested with several routers/filters/RJ11 cables into the master socket. SNR is bouncing between 2(!) and 25 and Attenuation is pretty much stuck on 51.

Apart from regular dropouts, I'm now connecting at approx 800k instead of the 2.5Mb that it's been for the last 2 years.

My guess is a problem at the exchange, either with the DSLAM or the card therein, or a wiring/green-box issue.

I can't really see how this can be a problem at Zen but I've raised a fault call with them anyway.

Has anyone that knows more about this kind of stuff than me (which I'm guessing is most of you) got any suggestions ?
 Niq-Scott 
Old 12-Nov-2008, 09:54   #2
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
After a lengthy chat with a helpful fellow at Zen they have suggested it may be the AR7 chipset issue, which all the routers I've tried use.
 Niq-Scott 
Old 12-Nov-2008, 22:41   #3
Envy
my other post is a smiley
Envy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond repute
Currently having troulbe with mine as the speed is almost half of what it used to be.... still to phone nildram tho
Old 12-Nov-2008, 23:02   #4
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
Looks like it was BT automatically raising the SNR to a stupid rate due to my router being unable to deal with fluctuations in the SNR Margin. Zen have had it dropped from 27 to 14 and it seems stable(ish).

Still doesn't explain the fucking noise on the line though.
 Niq-Scott 
Old 12-Nov-2008, 23:24   #5
Swank
double post spacker
Swank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond repute
find man hole cover with all the phone wires in and rip all the fuckers out.

maybe they will take notice of that?

http://www.chickipedia.com/
Send a message via ICQ to Swank Send a message via AIM to Swank
Old 13-Nov-2008, 17:32   #6
leady
reads your posts
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
If your line is noisy and you have a BT Retail phone line then just call 150 and report the audibly noisely line

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Tags
dns problem, open it in notepad, owen's cock smells