trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Old 30-Jul-2009, 11:09   #1
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
Whu, huh, wtf.... FTP Server assistance req.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, I've just moved to BE and I'm setting up the Thomson router to allow my various services through.

On my BT connection I had FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, OpenVPN, UltraVNC, uTorrent and uTorrent Web Gui all working throught the firewall.

I've stuck the BE box on and I'm struggling to get FTP and HTTPS working, the rest are working great after I've configure the firewall.

For FTP I've opened ports 21 and 22 and directed to the servers internal IP (192.168.123.100), the same IP that the FTP service is set to listen on btw, also the same IP that HTTP works on fine.

Is there something about the BE boxes I'm missing, surely if it will do the rest of the services then FTP and HTTPS are possible?
Old 30-Jul-2009, 11:37   #2
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
Do they quench incoming FTP on their network? Maybe try another port?!

Is it a new router, does it have a specific FTP service that is turned off?
Old 30-Jul-2009, 11:46   #3
burundi
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know (don't think so, it's BE, they don't block anything)

Don't know (I can't find anything specific to FTP and there is already an FTP Server entry in the list of games/apps that you can allow through the firewall.
Old 30-Jul-2009, 12:40   #4
burundi
Ah ha, it is the shitty thomson router. For some reason it uses the ftp and https ports itself, you have to telnet into the router and disable its own ftp and https ports and then it should work.

I'll have to try that from home and see if it sorts it.
Old 30-Jul-2009, 13:40   #5
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
Billion Routah FTW!

Glad you have solution tho.
Old 30-Jul-2009, 20:27   #6
burundi
Sorted it, the thomson router provided by BE does indeed need telneting into and the FTP, & HTTPs service turned off, it also needs natloopback enabled. If you change the lan ip range like I did it means you can't telnet into it though, I had to change the range back to the default and then I could get back into the box.
Old 30-Jul-2009, 22:00   #7
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
DMT is a good little app' if you have a Speedtouch. I've had/used Speedtouch routers for years and, after a couple of years with Draytek/Zyxel etc, I've gone back to them because of the Broadcom chipset and the fact that they are one of the best routers on the market for long lines.

I know people say "x is the best router bar none" but, if you're as far from the exchange as I am (54db line attenuation) there are really only 3 routers on the market that will deal with the low SNR and the spikes that you generally get. The ST585 I'm using will hold on to a connection down to almost 1db. Dlink are rated highly for long lines but I've always trusted Speedtouch (despite the n00b interface and the fact that the only way to do anything useful with them is to drop down to the CLI).
Old 30-Jul-2009, 22:21   #8
burundi
I'd read briefly about DMT, I want to get things settled and see what reliability is like before I start tinkering though

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Tags
open it in notepad, sounds like a dns problem, wtfayboa