trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > General > Discussion

Old 29-Oct-2012, 12:45   #91
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
Oh, I am too, but I find that you come up with a totally ingenious solution to something which you then expect people to be utterly wowed by but because they're used to ingenious solutions from you they just go "ah... cool... thanks" when what you want is a "HOLY FUCK!!! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?! THAT'S FUCKING INCREDIBLE!!!"
Old 29-Oct-2012, 13:26   #92
[n00b]Zippy
Waterborne Trailer-Trash
[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute
With me it's more "Oh, I don't actually need that any more. Bye"
Old 29-Oct-2012, 13:30   #93
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Target View Post
Oh, I am too, but I find that you come up with a totally ingenious solution to something which you then expect people to be utterly wowed by but because they're used to ingenious solutions from you they just go "ah... cool... thanks" when what you want is a "HOLY FUCK!!! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?! THAT'S FUCKING INCREDIBLE!!!"
excel is not 'for the ladies'
Old 29-Oct-2012, 18:01   #94
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
TBH, it's something I can reuse over and over. It's the kinda thing we get asked to do quite a bit.
Old 29-Oct-2012, 18:44   #95
Sin
TheMutsNuts.
Sin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGrin View Post
TBH, it's something I can reuse over and over.
Picking out whos next on your stalking list?!

wp tbh.

These excel problems are no where near as complex as the ones I get on a daily basis, most of which are "Can you make me a label that says [insert wtf ever here]" ...
Old 09-Nov-2012, 12:45   #96
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Date banding for a pivot table/chart.

Code:
=IF(DAYS360(B2,TODAY())<31,"30 Days",IF(DAYS360(B2,TODAY())<61,"60 Days",IF(DAYS360(B2,TODAY())<91,"90 Days","Over 90 Days")))
Old 16-Sep-2013, 14:04   #97
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
Is there any way to sort data and keep formatting that includes cells with no entry in the sorting column?

For example, I have a load of data with each point given a UID, which is the column header. However, within that column, UID 1 might have one row of data, with a 1 in the UID column, whilst point 2 might have 5 rows of data, with a 2 in the first cell in the UID column, but empty cells underneath it until UID 3. If i sort by UID then all of the empty cells fall off the bottom, rather than being associated with the UID number.

Do I just need to go through and add the UID number to each and every cell (a pretty large task) ?
Old 16-Sep-2013, 15:18   #98
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Q-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond reputeQ-Target has a reputation beyond repute
I'm having trouble picturing this. Any chance of a screenie?
Old 16-Sep-2013, 16:08   #99
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute

It's currently sorted by the UID column as I did it before i entered any data. It's riddled with errors, so I'm constantly having to change some of the values in the UID column. However, if i then re-sort by UID to get the cells in their correct places, it loses all of the extra rows associated with each UID. As you can see, UID value 281 for example has 4 rows associated with it, but if i sort by UID then 281 only has one row and the rest fall to the bottom.

Last edited by Lungboy; 16-Sep-2013 at 16:11.
Lungboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Sep-2013, 16:23   #100
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
14/302 clearly isn't in column J, it's witchery

burn it at the stake, it's the only way to be sure
Old 16-Sep-2013, 19:09   #101
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
Well... you will need the related UID values in there as well as some kind of sequential identifier if the order of results within each UID matters too.

Probably the quickest way to do this would be to insert a column beside column B and check to see if the cell next door in B is empty or has a value. If it has a value then the value in the new column C will be that value. If it has no value then the value will be equal to the one above.

In C2: =IF(isnull(B2)=TRUE,C1,B2)

Should work, in theory, then you fill that formula down the whole column. Then, and this is the good bit, you copy the entirety of new column C and paste it over column B (Paste Special > Paste Values) then delete Column C.

If I've understood this correctly, this will address the empty cells issue and make the job easier than manually entering all the UIDs.

Last edited by Q-Target; 16-Sep-2013 at 19:16.
Old 23-Sep-2013, 11:01   #102
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Thanks bra! Should work a treat.
Old 15-Oct-2013, 17:56   #103
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Is there any way to insert a set number of rows at once, rather than rclick > insert x8 if i want 8 rows etc?
Old 15-Oct-2013, 18:01   #104
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Select X rows, press Ctrl-Shift-+
Old 16-Oct-2013, 08:54   #105
[RaG]Ethel
Alfa Male
[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute
minor pedantic programming point ....

Code:
IF(isnull(B2)=TRUE,C1,B2)
should be

Code:
IF(isnull(B2),C1,B2)
The first example evaluates isnull(b2) as TRUE and then does a further test to compare that TRUE equals TRUE.

Just a pet hate, sorry John
Old 16-Oct-2013, 13:32   #106
Sin
TheMutsNuts.
Sin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond reputeSin has a reputation beyond repute
Install SQL Db for all your data aggregational needs.
Old 16-Oct-2013, 13:32   #107
Sin
TheMutsNuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [RaG]Ethel View Post
minor pedantic programming point ....

Code:
IF(isnull(B2)=TRUE,C1,B2)
should be

Code:
IF(isnull(B2),C1,B2)
The first example evaluates isnull(b2) as TRUE and then does a further test to compare that TRUE equals TRUE.

Just a pet hate, sorry John
Some might say its validation.
Old 16-Oct-2013, 14:55   #108
Orange
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
They'd be wrong.
Old 16-Oct-2013, 14:55   #109
Orange
Is it TRUE? Are you sure that when you said TRUE, you actually said TRUE?
Old 16-Oct-2013, 17:08   #110
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Select X rows, press Ctrl-Shift-+
Hero, thanks!
Old 16-Oct-2013, 17:26   #111
Nomad
i fear no midget
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Is it TRUE? Are you sure that when you said TRUE, you actually said TRUE?
Is it safe?
Old 16-Oct-2013, 17:48   #112
Orange
If you're using your mouse for excel you're doing it wrong!
Old 04-Dec-2013, 16:09   #113
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
I have a set of about 3000 rows. All of the values in a column should be sequential, from 1 to 3000. Can i get Excel to find me any missing numbers without having to manually scroll through 3000 rows?
Old 04-Dec-2013, 17:18   #114
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Fill this down from B2 (assuming your numbers are in column A)

Code:
=IF(A2-A1<2,"OK","BAD")
Old 04-Dec-2013, 18:39   #115
qui
Iron Man 3
qui has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond reputequi has a reputation beyond repute
Wouldn't it be simpler to type 1 in the top row, 2 in the next, select both rows and click down to 3000?
Old 04-Dec-2013, 18:53   #116
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
They have been generated in another program, so I need to find any that are missing.
Old 05-Dec-2013, 08:02   #117
Harry Palmer
Gun nut
Harry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond repute
You could check it mathematically first, 1+2+3+...+n = n(n+1)/2 so if it doesn't meet the SUM of the numbers for that column you know something is missing.

Reminder: "Do not look into laser with remaining good eye."
 Lupins 
Old 05-Dec-2013, 10:29   #118
Q-Target
AKA QuebecTango
You'll know how many are missing because the row number won't match the cell number (+1 assuming a title row).

Evilgrin's method will do the trick, I'd go with a "" for the good ones though so that the bad ones stand out more.

What will you do if there is missing data anyway?
Old 05-Dec-2013, 14:15   #119
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
It's the same spreadsheet as the one I added as an image further up this page, so it's impossible to find missing values by simply comparing the UID to the row number.

I'd need to check to see whether there should be data and I missed an entry, whether an entry has been duplicated by myself or by the original map maker, or whether it is missing entirely.
Old 05-Dec-2013, 14:38   #120
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Target View Post
I'd go with a "" for the good ones though so that the bad ones stand out more.
Would of copy and pasted values then auto filtered next myself.

Go Back   trickery.net > General > Discussion

Tags
excel solutions