trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > DVD, Home Cinema, Hi-Fi & Video

Old 16-Sep-2009, 11:09   #1
Rizzy
Jizzard's sleeve
Rizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Audio cable for home cinema

Being a n00b to this, I thought I'd ask you guys...

I've got my lovely Sony 1080p Bravia, just had Sky HD put in (uber) now I want to sort out sound. Not decided on a system yet, but I want to do the prep work before I decorate my living room. I will probably go for some sort of 5.1 system as my living room isn't all that big. Anyways I was thinking it's probably a good idea to run some cables under the floorboards before they get covered over with laminate or carpet (probably laminate). This is where I become n00b - what cable do I go for?? obviously I know there are different grades from 'door bell' to 'fuck off tree-trunk-type stuff'

So which is best for a standard 5.1 system? Obviously I don't want to be spending mega bucks on it and also how should I be laying it out? I know where the TV will reside so I'm guessing 4 speaker cables from there, 1 to each corner of the room, then 1 extra to wherever I want the sub to sit. Or do I only run 2 speaker cables, then the other 2 come off of them?

/n00b
 priceyphil   4210-4173-4021 
Old 16-Sep-2009, 11:25   #2
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
QED 79 strand used to be the stuff to get.

Sub outputs tend to be phono connectors - they are on my Yammy amp, and on the back of my JPW sub.
Back of this Onkyo has a Pre-Out Subwoofer phono connector: http://www.superfi.co.uk/images/Onky..._rear_1600.jpg

You'll be wanting to do separate speaker cable runs for each speaker - 5 in all. 2 rear, 2 front, 1 centre
And then something like this: http://www.richersounds.com/product/...b-sublink-7.5m for the Subwoofer

Last edited by GroovYF; 16-Sep-2009 at 15:08.
 groovyf 
Old 16-Sep-2009, 12:35   #3
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
Rizzy ... http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/ Buy a system from them and they supply the mega expensive speaker cable free. Or they did when I bought mine. They also do cracking delivery, and some fanatastic bargains with systems and speakers.

Id highly recommend Onkyo. Plug the HDMI from your SkyHD into the Onkyo, and Optical from SkyHD into the Onkyo. Then want a HDMI from Onkyo into Bravia. Same setup as mine.

Sky HD does Dolby Digital (5.1) on Optical ONLY. The phono outlets are Stereo, as is HDMI.
Old 16-Sep-2009, 15:06   #4
Rizzy
Jizzard's sleeve
Rizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond reputeRizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Lovely, thanks guys. I'll have a look. Not sure if I can afford to get the system yet, but I want to get the cables in place before I decorate Wondering if it's worth putting in proper audio sockets above the skirting...
Old 16-Sep-2009, 15:27   #5
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
If the TV is going wall mounted, then by all means do some cable routing by adding a duct from the TV to where the HiFi kit will be, and then plaster over. Remember to add a drawstring to pull cables through!

Also might be worth putting cables under floor or in ceiling (depending upon speaker types).
Old 16-Sep-2009, 17:37   #6
Rizzy
Jizzard's sleeve
I need to do a diagram but cba The TV will be on a stand type thing and the audio will be under it somewhere with the sky box and DVD player. Going to run audio cables under the floor and bring them up behind the skirting where I will possibly put an output socket so I can just plug speakers straight into them when I eventually get them If not then I will trunk from the skirting upwards. The other option is obviously to hide the cable in the wall as you suggested, then plaster over the ducting.

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > DVD, Home Cinema, Hi-Fi & Video

Tags
home cinema, laying a cable, n00b