trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Books

Old 08-Mar-2018, 17:48   #2071
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Minty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond repute
Oh and I will just mention: They are DRM free. Just putting that out there.
Old 08-Mar-2018, 18:26   #2072
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
I've already got everything in digital format. I want print.
Old 23-Mar-2018, 13:51   #2073
Hot Soup
lock my threads
Tournaments Won: 1
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
The Armored Saint by Myke Cole. A brisk 200 page fantasy set in a world where use of magic can lead to essentially a portal to hell opening , so all magic is banned and dealt with harshly. Rather enjoyed it , it could do with some more meat on the bone but well worth a read.

The Court of Broken Knives by Anna Smith Spark. It starts off with a mercenary company being hired to off the Emperor of a dying Empire. And then it all kicks on from there. I loved this book , thoroughly loved it.
Stylistically it's a little different from your usual fantasy, based around the POV of 4 main characters and for me I felt you could feel the different styles she gave each one. Absorbing and gripping I really want the next one.

Also had Bruce Campbell in the store on Monday night and for one of the few times I totally fan boyed out over an author and got my copies of If Chins Could Kill and Hail to the Chin ( and my DVD of Bubba Ho-Tep ) signed. Epic night, loads of happy customers. Hail to the king baby.

(busy busy busy set myself a new steps record of over 28k >_< )

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Hot Soup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Mar-2018, 11:57   #2074
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Minty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond repute
Finished the first Mistborn book: The Final Empire. Its stunning. Simply brilliant. The story is not quite as intricate as The Stormlight Archive series but its just as brilliant. You could probably argue that its a bit more accessible as the concepts raised arent quite as outlandish as The Stormlight Archive. The last 100 pages or so had my jaw dropping in a way I havent experienced since I read about The Red Wedding, followed by Joffreys Wedding in ASOIAF.

Onto the second book now: Well Of Ascension. As with the first, its a bit of a slow start. However this time its due to Sanderson re-explaining all the concepts he introduced in the first book. Its not a sequel, its part 2 of the story, so this really grates and slows down the narrative. Ive powered through it though and about 40% of the way into the book its started picking up again.

Last edited by Minty; 24-Mar-2018 at 12:05.
Old 24-Mar-2018, 20:32   #2075
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
enjoyed those overall
Old 26-Mar-2018, 16:22   #2076
Hot Soup
lock my threads
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
Hannah Green and Her Unfeasibly Mundane Existence by Michael Marshal Smith. A rather wonderful tale of a young girl who finds out her grandfather isn't quite who he seems and has been working for the Devil for a while. Whimsical , funny and enjoyable. It loses a bit of steam towards the end it's fair to say , but really enjoyed it overall.

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 29-Mar-2018, 20:05   #2077
Rhadix
forum hax
Rhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond repute
Peter V Brett's Painted Man books. I had totally overlooked these but my To Read pile collapsed the other week and the first one was found lying amongst the wreckage. Thoroughly enjoyable so far and halfway through The Desert Spear now without any hint of it slowing down
Old 04-Apr-2018, 10:34   #2078
Hot Soup
lock my threads
City of Brass - S.A. Chakraborty

Fantasy set in the middle east around the time of Napoleon. Fairly standard trope of young woman accidentally finds out she has djinni heritage and becomes a target in various political and magical machinations . Technically the writer isn't the best , she's clearly in her debut novel and there are bits that really stick out because of that. But it was an enjoyable read despite that. The djinni / Arabian nights style setting is well done , fun to read. Will happily read the next instalment.

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 07-Apr-2018, 22:33   #2079
Hot Soup
lock my threads
Circe by Madeline Miller.

The story of Circe , daughter of the Titan Helios , who is exiled to an island for casting a spell. It touches on many moments from Greek myth and works like the Odyssey.

It is a retelling of obviously classical myth and touches on familiar names and events but it is also a more modern take on gender, power and it's abuse.

Frankly I thought it was magnificent. The interactions between the gods and mortals, the petty fighting between , the style it was written in and Circe's internal monologue . The book itself is also beautifully done.

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Old 15-Apr-2018, 22:00   #2080
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Read so much recently:

Mistborn: The Well Of Ascension - A little slow to get going but a great way to continue the story. kept me hooked throughout and really helped develop some of the characters from the first book.

I Am Legend - Yes, that one. No, not the same as the film. In fact it barely even resembles the same story. Its still about one man being left in a world inhabited by vampires but that is where the similarities end. Its not the first time Ive read this and frankly, Im sure it wont be the last. Its a borderline short story (at around 100 pages) and should be read by anybody into the horror genre. The final chapters revelations are what makes this book so good and its why the film fucked it up so badly.

The Painted Man - Very VERY slow to get going but Im glad I persisted. Really novel concept and characters that I actually cared about. This is a great novel for anybody looking for an easier read in the fantasy genre. A Song Of Ice And Fire this is NOT but its still a great read with a somewhat anticlimactic ending. Mostly because its leading into the next book in the series, which I will give a go at some point.

Horus Rising - Again, not the first time I read it. However last time I kind of rushed myself through it and probably missed a lot of the little details that Dan Abnett was laying out. This time I took my time and paid attention to everything. NOBODY puts an image into my head quite like Dan Abnett and this is one of his best works ever. Worth a read for anybody interested in WH40k or Sci-Fi.

And now Im reading Mistborn: The Hero Of Ages. Already started a lot better than The Well of Ascension did, as it doesnt feel the need to re-establish all the concepts and themes that the first book did. Its just straight into the story, only very lightly touching on concepts and moments of history that you may have forgotten. 20% in right now and hooked just the same way the first one did.

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Books

Tags
50 shades of idiot, reading is for poofs, sheffield serial reader