trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > General > Discussion

Old 24-Jul-2017, 11:06   #31
blurr
fashion victim
blurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond repute
No split. Good news for all!
Old 24-Jul-2017, 16:25   #32
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
CaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond repute
There's still potential for chain splits, notably on 1st August with Bitcoin ABC. The intention behind this hard fork is to implement 8MB blocks and remove segregated witness. Then there's the 2x part of SegWit2x coming up in November.

On the plus side, if you own your private keys, you will have coins on the real Bitcoin chain and on the Bitcoin ABC chain after the fork.
Old 25-Jul-2017, 13:28   #33
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
I keep buying more and more every time it drops significantly... good idea or bad idea? :p
Old 25-Jul-2017, 14:09   #34
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Do not invest money you cannot afford to lose.
Old 25-Jul-2017, 14:45   #35
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
Aye I'm very much aware of that. I'm nowhere near that point at the moment. The main plan is to put a bit of my monthly income into it once a month (but I may split that into 4 and do it weekly instead).
Old 25-Jul-2017, 15:40   #36
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
CaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainTrips has a reputation beyond repute
Do you own your private keys, or are you keeping it on an exchange?
Old 25-Jul-2017, 16:05   #37
Brocken
Bit lost
I transfer the ETH + BTC in my coinbase account to my own wallets so they're private. Got a few Litecoin in there too but don't have my own wallet for that.
Old 25-Jul-2017, 16:30   #38
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
All you have to do now is sit back and wait for the 1st August split and see what happens. Coinbase have stated they won't support Bitcoin ABC/Bitcoin Cash, so to cash out your new coins from the split you'll have to use another exchange. What happens after depends on the outcome of the split. You'll probably have to mix your coins with coins created post-split in order to make transactions on one chain invalid on the other. Once that's done, you'll have both BTC and BCC. Splitting your coins in this way is probably unnecessary if you're not interested in getting your free BCC fork coins.
Old 26-Jul-2017, 22:36   #39
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
This is worthy of the Amusing News thread, but it appears the Mt. Gox hacker owns the BTC-e exchange. At the very least, he's accused of helping launder the stolen funds.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN1AB1OP
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/26/1...-theft-suspect

Edit: So, a Russian was arrested in Greece on behalf of the US for hacking a Japanese company operated by a Frenchman.

Last edited by CaptainTrips; 26-Jul-2017 at 23:51.
Old 01-Aug-2017, 17:47   #40
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
The Bitcoin Cash fork has happened, so anyone that has X amount of BTC in their own private wallet now has X BCH as well.

Now I'm waiting for that first 8MB BCH block so I can split my coins.

Edit: The first large block has now been mined; it was 1.9MB. Currently 1 BCH is worth around 212 versus 2085 for 1 BTC.

Last edited by CaptainTrips; 01-Aug-2017 at 20:00.
Old 02-Aug-2017, 11:45   #41
Brocken
Bit lost
I don't get how BTC can be viable going forward if transaction times are slow and the block size is limited.

At least not as a 'currency'. Litecoin, Ripple, Monero etc all seem like better alternatives for day-to-day spending using cryptocurrencies.
Old 02-Aug-2017, 12:03   #42
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
BTC isn't currency, as currency is backed by a nation state.

BTC isn't money either. It would have to be a medium of exchange, a unit of accounting, and a store of value and that's not true until your local Government or courts says so.

You are better off considering BTC to be a commodity, like a lump of gold or a barrel of oil.
Old 02-Aug-2017, 13:38   #43
Brocken
Bit lost
Wishing I'd bought more BTC prior to the fork now :p

One of BTC or BCH has got to crash soon I would have thought. This doesn't seem very sustainable.
Old 02-Aug-2017, 14:46   #44
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGrin View Post
BTC isn't money either. It would have to be a medium of exchange, a unit of accounting, and a store of value and that's not true until your local Government or courts says so.
People have been exchanging bitcoin for drugs almost since its inception. I think that qualifies.
Old 02-Aug-2017, 14:57   #45
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
People swap all kinds of shit for drugs... I've bought/sold drugs with hooky car stereos, a car, records, clothes, you name it.... Swapping shit for drugs does not qualify them as currency
Old 02-Aug-2017, 15:24   #46
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
Got me there, I should've been more thorough with my reasoning.

It can be exchanged for goods - Agora, Silk Road, Dream Market, that 10K bitcoin pizza, etc.
It's a unit of accounting - 1 BTC is always worth 1 BTC. Car stereos aren't all worth the same.
It is a store of value, although highly volatile. I can exchange it for fiat, and being old, or second-hand, or stolen doesn't affect its exchange rate.
Old 02-Aug-2017, 16:02   #47
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah there's a constant element to it, it's very money like. There is the "if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck" argument... Sorry, I just got excited when you said "drugs" and jumped on it.
Old 02-Aug-2017, 17:07   #48
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken View Post
Wishing I'd bought more BTC prior to the fork now :p
Still got my pile of BTC from when I bought them in 2009 for $1 each.
Old 05-Aug-2017, 09:31   #49
Brocken
Bit lost
Here's my current crypto "portfolio":

Code:
Ethereum		46.65%
Litecoin		11.44%
Basic Attention Token	13.12%
Golem			8.00%
OmiseGO			13.80%
Ripple			0.81%
Siacoin			5.46%
Bitcoin Cash		0.71%
Old 05-Aug-2017, 09:43   #50
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
No DogeCoin?
Old 05-Aug-2017, 19:39   #51
Brocken
Bit lost
I'm putting money into this long term but it's so difficult not to check prices every day and wish I'd put more money in etc.

Ethereum up a fair bit today + omisego shot up 40-50% t'other day.
Old 05-Aug-2017, 20:57   #52
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
BTC is up loads too, while BCH isn't looking too hot at the moment. I wish I'd bothered to exchange it for Ether like I was going to on Friday.
Old 05-Aug-2017, 20:58   #53
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
Cryptocurrency speculation is going to kill you with the stress Brocken. Chill out.
Old 16-Aug-2017, 19:26   #54
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
A dude has sold his exploit to Poloniex. Move yo' shit!
Old 12-Sep-2017, 20:54   #55
blurr
fashion victim
blurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond repute
China's ban has had significant impact...

Anyone here use Ledger Nano S? For 69 euros it seems a no brainer.

And has anyone used/using Bisq?
Old 20-Sep-2017, 15:29   #56
cunning-stunt
Falling to bits.
cunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond repute
I don't use, or understand all this, but just found this article and thought it may be of interest to some of you guys.

http://www.trustnodes.com/2017/09/19...reparing-worst
cunning-stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2017, 15:43   #57
Brocken
Bit lost
I would have thought mining operations in china halting would increase the value of BTC due to more scarcity?
Old 20-Sep-2017, 15:55   #58
Ned
each time i post god kills a kitten
Tournaments Won: 1
Ned has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond repute
Significant amount of market activity from China, if they can't buy/sell/cash out its a dead investment to them and they'll start selling it off (if they can) therefore dropping the price due to sudden over supply.
 neddage 
Old 20-Sep-2017, 16:37   #59
CaptainTrips
topicophiliac
If mining is banned, this is great for decentralisation and bad for mining cartels demanding rule changes. In the short term, BTC block times will be significantly longer than 10 minutes until the next difficulty adjustment kicks in.

I wonder what will happen with BCH though. From what I know of it, it's Bitmain's pet project and nobody outside China mines it.
Old 21-Sep-2017, 08:28   #60
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
The more I read up on crypto the shadier it gets. Tether sounds so dodgy it's untrue.

Go Back   trickery.net > General > Discussion

Users Viewing Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)