trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > General > News

Old 06-Sep-2005, 13:33   #1
CooK1E
Choc-Chip
CooK1E has a reputation beyond reputeCooK1E has a reputation beyond reputeCooK1E has a reputation beyond reputeCooK1E has a reputation beyond reputeCooK1E has a reputation beyond reputeCooK1E has a reputation beyond reputeCooK1E has a reputation beyond reputeCooK1E has a reputation beyond reputeCooK1E has a reputation beyond reputeCooK1E has a reputation beyond reputeCooK1E has a reputation beyond repute
Gabe Newell Speaks out

Most of you will know the infamous Gabe Newell, from the stolen Half Life 2 Source code incident and the fact that he is generally the first to shout about Valve’s newest offerings. So it comes as no surprise to us that he is one of the first developers to speak out publicly on the upcoming next gen consoles and Microsoft’s latest O/S Vista (formally known as Longhorn)

Starting with Microsoft’s latest offering Vista, Gabe had this to say:

Quote:
I cannot point to a single feature in Longhorn [Vista] that I care about… there is nothing in Longhorn that solves any problems for us at all.
He was also as disparaging towards Microsoft’s other big toy, the Xbox360 and didn’t spare the PS3 either:

Quote:
The Xbox 360 doesn’t make my life any better, and in fact it makes it a lot worse… you’re telling me I can’t rely on having a hard drive ~ The PS3 makes my life as a developer much harder
His main gripe with the next gen consoles is that he and his development team have to totally re-work how they program for the new hardware, something which none of them have any experience of. He also pointed out that the new hardware in both machines is so technically different, that programmers have to totally re-design their code to work cross platform. Meaning that many will choose one platform and stick to it, causing many tittles to be exclusive to one manufacturer.

Developers are generally quite quiet when it comes to talking about next gen hardware, but still make the odd remark here and there, Gabe is the fist to speak out so publicly and blatantly against the new platforms. His company have a huge stake in the next gen hardware and are also a big influential industry player, so you cant blame him for having a moan. Although its worth noting that generally the hardware manufacturers are very thick skinned and don’t take criticism very well.

Source: The Inquirer
See 1Up.com’s Valve coverage Here

With thanks to EvilGrin for the story

Last edited by CooK1E; 08-Sep-2005 at 08:33.
Old 07-Sep-2005, 20:31   #2
The Dark One
meh
The Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to comment on this here.
I doubt gabe adds much code to Source, in spite of his quite implying he single handily wrote source. Sounds like sour grapes to me tbh, PS2 has always been a git to code for, Xbox was easy as it as DX, but they’re new arch, big deal. Grow up, get out of the MS mindset and join the realworld.

Last edited by CooK1E; 08-Sep-2005 at 08:32.

Go Back   trickery.net > General > News