trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Mobile Phones, Tablets & PDAs

Old 16-Oct-2009, 15:22   #1
Majestic
Nacho Nacho Man
Majestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up HTC HD2

Not seen an article on this, I'll be having a blast of it on monday I think but already I think I'll be buying it as I was well impressed with the HTC Diamond. It's coming to O2 w/c 19/10/09 and should be priced around the same as an iphone tariff.

http://www.htc.com/www/product/hd2/product-tour.html
A return to first principles in a republic is sometimes caused by the simple virtues of one man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example.
Send a message via MSN to Majestic  SavoRFC 
Old 16-Oct-2009, 15:27   #2
Jamey
The swagger of a cripple
Jamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond repute
Nice-looking phone and 480 x 800 is a great res for a little device, probably the most you'd want, tbh. Can't imagine any higher resolutions (on the same physical screen size) offering much more detail, a bit like how it's not worth having 1080 on smaller TVs because you just can't see it at normal viewing distances.

What does "Capacitive touch screen" mean though? Is it multi-touch?

Also I see HTC are continuing their tradition of failing to tell you the video shooting specs on the website. Good to see a 3.5mm jack though.

Just a shame it's Windows.
Old 16-Oct-2009, 15:33   #3
Majestic
Nacho Nacho Man
Majestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond reputeMajestic has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah jamey, it's a shame it's win 6.5 but they've upgraded Touch Flo (which is really impressive on the Diamond) and from reviews, it appears there's no lag whatsoever when using the phone.

I believe it is multitouch Jamey, as for the video I wouldn't hold my breath as the camera is so and so. The web browser is excellent though and it takes advantage of the whole "pinch" and "squeeze" function on webkit like the iphone.
A return to first principles in a republic is sometimes caused by the simple virtues of one man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example.
Old 16-Oct-2009, 15:34   #4
Jamey
The swagger of a cripple
Jamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond repute
Well if it can do pinch/squeeze then it must be multi-touch. Be interesting to see if they introduce any new gestures as everyone's just copying the existing ones at the moment.
Old 16-Oct-2009, 15:40   #5
Majestic
Nacho Nacho Man
Hands on: http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...-review-641193
Old 16-Oct-2009, 15:45   #6
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
About time they integrated facebook into contacts - SPB shell has been doing that for a year and it's a real time saver.
Old 16-Oct-2009, 20:55   #7
StarMonkey
Gene Pool Attendant
StarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Its multi touch but only on the HTC apps - normal windows stuff won't be because the functionality isn't in the 6.5 sdk. Here's hoping that HTC release an sdk for their stuff or someone reverse engineers it like they did for the sensors on the diamond.

I'm tempted by it, my contract is up in December so at the moment its that, the hero, or the iphone (with the iphone currently in the lead). I've used windows mobile for years and I like writing apps for it in C#, but I'm getting tired of using a 6 year old os with some pretty features bolted on top. HTC have done a great job masking it with the new HTC sense (updated touchflo) but its still windows mobile 2003 at the heart

I really dislike objective C, and don't have a mac so I wouldn't be able to write apps for the iphone. I'd be fine writing them for android but I'm still not 100% convinced that it's 'ready'.
Old 16-Oct-2009, 21:02   #8
StarMonkey
Gene Pool Attendant
StarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
When I think about it, the majority of what I use my phone for are:

- Browsing (iphone wins hands down)
- Facebook (the windows mobile facebook app is a joke, m. isn't any good if you want to add photos, and lite. is ok but you still can't upload photos)
- Email (the iphone mail client looks nicer - I don't use push)
- Random apps (again, you can't beat the iphone)
- Music (another clear win for the iphone)
- Golf scorecards and GPS (I wrote an app for winmob, but the iphone ones like airvue look better than anything i could do).
- Satnav (I'm an iGo user, prefer it to tomtom, so windows mobile wins that one).
- Twitter (you can get decent twitter apps for all 3)

I'm not that happy that you can't run background apps on the iphone, but I suppose that isn't a deal breaker. What I'd like to know is if an app is open and you put the phone into standby, will it stay open when you turn it back on, or do you get kicked to the home screen.
Old 16-Oct-2009, 22:39   #9
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond repute
I owned a Touch HD for a while - I wasn't particuarly impressed with the touchflo, though I did get used to it it still wasn't as smooth as the iphone, no where near infact (can't be as quick as you would on the iPhone). however the design was great, and a good concept. I believe a lot of the sluggishness was down to winmob 6.5....you get a free upgrade to winmob 7 iirc?

I downloaded and installed both iGo and Tomtom, both worked really well and was mightly impressed.

All in all its a good alternative to the iPhone but certainly not an iPhone killer. Not sure about the HD2 though. Let us know how you get on.
 stant0s 
Old 16-Oct-2009, 22:40   #10
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond reputeGLoBaL ChiLLaGe has a reputation beyond repute
Oh and from what I can remember, I always had an issue with apps staying open on my Touch HD, likewise any iPAQ's...good old Windows. Had to manually close them in task manager up on the top right.
 stant0s 
Old 16-Oct-2009, 22:46   #11
StarMonkey
Gene Pool Attendant
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLoBaL ChiLLaGe View Post
Oh and from what I can remember, I always had an issue with apps staying open on my Touch HD, likewise any iPAQ's...good old Windows. Had to manually close them in task manager up on the top right.
See, I prefer that - at least I know what's going on!

The touch hd had windows mobile 6.1 and htc have said they aren't going to release a 6.5 rom for it (but you can get them from xda-developers).
Old 16-Oct-2009, 22:51   #12
StarMonkey
Gene Pool Attendant
What I like about windows mobile is that I know what's going on - it has a real fully accessible file system and works like windows. As a developer, I have access to everything (very dangerous, but gives a lot more flexibility).

The way android deals with 'closing' apps scares me, no one really knows what goes on in the os when you leave an app (ie it doesn't quit, the state is saved in memory or it runs in the background depending on how it's written). If I open google maps then press the back button, is it still using data in the background or is it really asleep or closed?

The iphone has a nice way of dealing with app permissions where your app has its own sandboxed filesystem. The not being allowed to run in the background is a bit annoying though but I understand why apple enforce it. I'd love a better permissions system where the user can decide what an app is allowed to do (similar to the way android apps tell you what access they have to underlying things before you install them).
Old 16-Oct-2009, 23:31   #13
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
I beg your pardon, 6.1 not 6.5.

I see your point about windows based mobiles as opposed to other providers. It does have a familiar interface to it. However, I can't say I've used a mobile device of any sort that happens to manage background processes well. I think we expect too much sometimes. Granted at least windows gives you the opportunity to close it via task manager, but the annoying thing is you actually clicked X!!! ITS FUCKING CLOSED! but alas it isn't!

I'm not convinced I want a mobile device that needs 'managing' and I think this is what a lot of developers think also. Does that make sense?
 stant0s 
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:01   #14
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Last few iterations of touchflo close apps "properly" if you click and hold x..
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:26   #15
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
alright smarty pants. get to bed. how the fuck did you find that out? i never knew that!
 stant0s 
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:28   #16
Inertiaman
I'll be sure to READ THE FUCKING MANUAL before I try and lie down on it!
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:30   #17
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
and dont' say rtfm
 stant0s 
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:31   #18
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
how the fuck did i know that was coming
 stant0s 
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:31   #19
Inertiaman
oops.
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:32   #20
Inertiaman
Actually it's in the task manager dialogue as well, I didn't even open the fucking manual - "button" tab in the same menu as "running program list".
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:35   #21
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
Nersh, there is pride in your work, and there is arrogance!

TWAT!
 stant0s 
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:35   #22
Inertiaman
At least I don't fail harder than an x-factor album signing.

That HD2 looks the nuts btw - if I can bring myself to lose the qwerty in exchange for half the width I'll score one up in Jan.
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:39   #23
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
I'm conceding here, 'cos I can't think of a witty retort. (I'm blaming ASDA for providing me with 20 bottles of Bud for 8!)

1-0. Next time son, next time!
 stant0s 
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:41   #24
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
Oh and yes, I agree it looks lovely. However, my toy fund is rather limited due to Breitling sapping me of all my pennies, so I won't be investing....I'm out!
 stant0s 
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:42   #25
Inertiaman
+USER ERROR+
Old 17-Oct-2009, 00:46   #26
GLoBaL ChiLLaGe
Bosh!
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Nersh again.

Last edited by GLoBaL ChiLLaGe; 17-Oct-2009 at 00:51.
 stant0s 
Old 19-Oct-2009, 15:01   #27
eek
Not a leek!
eek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
Not seen an article on this, I'll be having a blast of it on monday I think but already I think I'll be buying it as I was well impressed with the HTC Diamond. It's coming to O2 w/c 19/10/09 and should be priced around the same as an iphone tariff.

http://www.htc.com/www/product/hd2/product-tour.html
sooo...this or palm pre?

It looks super quick on the hands on vid
 eekaleek 
Old 19-Oct-2009, 15:20   #28
Dogma
Like a boss.
Dogma has a reputation beyond reputeDogma has a reputation beyond reputeDogma has a reputation beyond reputeDogma has a reputation beyond reputeDogma has a reputation beyond reputeDogma has a reputation beyond reputeDogma has a reputation beyond reputeDogma has a reputation beyond reputeDogma has a reputation beyond reputeDogma has a reputation beyond reputeDogma has a reputation beyond repute
This might be a go-er for me at the start of December.
 LAV3R__   LAV3R 
Old 19-Oct-2009, 15:32   #29
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.three.co.uk/Internet_Services/Spotify Worth Considering ?
Old 20-Oct-2009, 16:44   #30
eek
Not a leek!
eek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond reputeeek has a reputation beyond repute
wahhhhh! It hasn't been launched yet
 eekaleek 

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Mobile Phones, Tablets & PDAs

Users Viewing Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)