trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs

Old 01-Feb-2017, 12:42   #121
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think Trump has knobbled the Supreme court, that was the Republicans of the senate who blocked Obama's pick. Trump's pick looks relatively sane for a conservative pick. There has been rumblings about the senate Democrats doing all they can to block his nomination in retaliation for the Republican's earlier blocking of Merrick Garland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 01-Feb-2017, 13:00   #122
Sh0cked
founder of the +1 forum
Sh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond reputeSh0cked has a reputation beyond repute
This choice I agree is almost middle off the road, the issue though is the the other two justices who are due to croak in mini-hand's term. That could shift the balance for decades if he continues to put forward young right wing candidates.
 sh0ck3d 
Old 01-Feb-2017, 13:59   #123
leady
click here to reset post count
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
I get the perspective particularly with regards to the us system, but surely judges should be conservatives or they are politicians by another name?
Old 01-Feb-2017, 16:17   #124
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
The judiciary is a branch of legislature that provides an interpretation of legislation that becomes precedent and so they essentially clarify law (sometimes enough to almost be considered creating law) with their judgements. There are a lot of rules about how they can do that (and one of those is by interpreting the spirit of the law - which could be very different depending on your viewpoint) but at the highest level (i.e. the Supreme Court), decisions that judges make can only be overturned by legislature (or rarely, and after significant time has passed and societal change has ensued, by other judges at the same level), so if you have only illiberal interpretation of law for decades, the reality of law application through the country will become less liberal.

So no, they are not politicians by another name and Merrick Garland was a perfectly reasonable pick, he isn't some left wing luvvie, but a large number of Republicans are still bitter about Roe vs Wade so they try to get people in the Supreme Court to prevent similarly liberal decisions occurring and possibly overturn them.

Quote:
Old 01-Feb-2017, 17:07   #125
leady
leady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond reputeleady has a reputation beyond repute
Laws almost by definition are illiberal in an Anglo-Saxon legal system, courts shouldn't be redefining them according to the cultural zeitgeist, that's the job of lazy politicians.

Incidentally this is why I don't see any value is constitutions. At least changing legislation fairly easily in parliamentary, raw majority democracy as a feature. The American "separation of powers" democracy is just a lie, probably a dangerous one too
Old 01-Feb-2017, 17:40   #126
NWA
Fish Schnapps
I'm not sure you know what liberal means? Plenty of laws define our most basic rights and freedoms, or if you want, 'liberties' (note the same word root)... Such as the right to not be killed, the right to a fair trial, etc. There are other laws which impinge on our rights and freedoms, such as drug laws, but to say all laws are not liberal is obvious codswallop.

The politicizing of the judiciary in America is almost entirely because of the scope of their constitution, but we do have a constitution, it is more reserved in scope and we don't base our entire political debate around it as much as they do.

Quote:
Old 01-Feb-2017, 18:39   #127
leady
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA View Post
I'm not sure you know what liberal means? Plenty of laws define our most basic rights and freedoms, or if you want, 'liberties' (note the same word root)... Such as the right to not be killed, the right to a fair trial, etc. There are other laws which impinge on our rights and freedoms, such as drug laws, but to say all laws are not liberal is obvious codswallop.
Liberal has a gazillion definitions, so I wouldn't get hung up on it. All I'm pointing out is that all laws are prohibitions on free behaviour even, or maybe especially, those that provide both positive and negative "rights". Ergo every law is a restriction on complete freedom or illiberal in the widest sense. Naturally I don't see this as a bad thing as general rule
Old 01-Feb-2017, 18:44   #128
Beef~
res ipsa loquitur
Beef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond repute
That's simply not true. What are rights if not laws providing for certain freedoms?
Old 01-Feb-2017, 18:50   #129
leady
Negative rights are curtailing of behaviour quite overtly (i.e. right not to get murdered)

positive rights require curtailing of others behaviour (right to free education) by necessity to implement
Old 01-Feb-2017, 19:37   #130
Beef~
res ipsa loquitur
Beef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond repute
You're confusing the effect with the actual definition. The fact that murder is illegal is not a "negative right". It is, in fact, an offence which is subject to punishment under criminal law.
Old 01-Feb-2017, 23:31   #131
NWA
Fish Schnapps
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpDraws/...6071267557203/

Quote:
Old 02-Feb-2017, 09:52   #132
Goody
my other forum is full
Goody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond repute
According to reports that were apparently based on a leaked White House document, the US president told Peña Nieto: “You have a bunch of bad hombres down there. You aren’t doing enough to stop them. I think your military is scared. Our military isn’t, so I just might send them down to take care of it.”

and

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...y-at-dumb-deal

also

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-grizzly-bears

There is literally so much funny/interesting stuff its really hard to keep up
Old 02-Feb-2017, 09:56   #133
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
You know when you're referring to a plan to take refugees out of Rape Camp Australia and give them shelter and medical treatment as a "deal" then you're probably not to be trusted with the welfare of a country.
Old 02-Feb-2017, 10:18   #134
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38836906

THERE'S A PLAN. A PLAN!
Old 02-Feb-2017, 10:34   #135
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
It'll just be "we're going to have a red, white and blue brexit" hand written 10000 times.
Old 02-Feb-2017, 11:02   #136
Inertiaman
Or one massive billboard the size of the London Eye with "Darkies Out" written on it.
Old 02-Feb-2017, 11:12   #137
andy
aka milk!
andy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond repute
Nah just lefties
Old 02-Feb-2017, 11:13   #138
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiaman View Post
1 Line: 'TBA'
Old 02-Feb-2017, 11:21   #139
Goody
my other forum is full
Goody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond reputeGoody has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Nah just lefties
Pretty sure you count as metropolitan elite so maybe you better just start being nicer to us lefties and ethnic types as youll be packing your bags with us
Old 02-Feb-2017, 11:22   #140
andy
aka milk!
andy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond repute
I ain't a metropolitan elite - I'm from the north!
Old 02-Feb-2017, 11:31   #141
Inertiaman
Christ the "lefties" thing is fucking tired. So is pretending Brexit had nothing to do with immigration.
Old 02-Feb-2017, 11:34   #142
andy
aka milk!
So is darkies being the only reason for Brexit, but you keep that narrative going, but don't act so indignant when it's thrown back at you.
Old 02-Feb-2017, 11:48   #143
leady
given it was mass Syrian and Turkish migration that were the fear factors, it should probably be Swarthies anyway
Old 02-Feb-2017, 12:48   #144
Inertiaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
So is darkies being the only reason for Brexit, but you keep that narrative going, but don't act so indignant when it's thrown back at you.
Keeping that narrative going? I think you've confused me with Nigel Farage MEP.
Old 02-Feb-2017, 13:02   #145
Inertiaman
http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa...-idUKKBN15G5VO

People don't kill people - mooslems do. You better rename a task force or they're gonna kill u.
Old 02-Feb-2017, 13:06   #146
Goody
my other forum is full
Bleh n,m
Old 02-Feb-2017, 13:07   #147
Orange
goal... post
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Lulz
Old 02-Feb-2017, 13:12   #148
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
It's been pointed out that I should probably let the other thread die.

I saw this story yesterday, but have only just made the connection. No prizes for perspicacity.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lled-al-awlaki

OOF!

Last edited by Scrobbs; 02-Feb-2017 at 13:15.
Old 02-Feb-2017, 14:58   #149
Inertiaman
Oh the Brexit plan isn't a plan it's more bullet points.

:sadface:
Old 02-Feb-2017, 15:20   #150
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
- Red
- White
- Blue
- Moon
- Stick

Last edited by Lungboy; 02-Feb-2017 at 15:23.
Lungboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Current Affairs

Tags
goosecunt0r