trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Books

Old 08-Oct-2004, 15:47   #61
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Sierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond repute
I have just finished reading Stormrider, and before that the other Rigante books by Gemmell. Loved em.

Am now reading Pompeii by Harris. Good so far...
Send a message via ICQ to Sierro Send a message via AIM to Sierro Send a message via MSN to Sierro Send a message via Yahoo to Sierro  Sierro 
Old 08-Oct-2004, 16:57   #62
Hotel2Tango
my post count gets me dates
Hotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant future
Bought the (current) last in George RR Martin's Ice and Fire the series. Dont want to read it yet though as the rest of the series hasnt been writen yet and I will have to ration tis last book.

Also bought Ken Macloed's Fall Revolution series, and so far it is great.
Old 11-Oct-2004, 14:46   #63
Pellet
He's using the trees
Pellet has a reputation beyond reputePellet has a reputation beyond reputePellet has a reputation beyond reputePellet has a reputation beyond reputePellet has a reputation beyond reputePellet has a reputation beyond reputePellet has a reputation beyond reputePellet has a reputation beyond reputePellet has a reputation beyond reputePellet has a reputation beyond reputePellet has a reputation beyond repute
Reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

blurb from Amazon:

Any book touted as the ‘adult Harry Potter’ runs the risk of attracting critical parries from swords of the double-edged variety. If this wasn’t enough, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell--the debut novel from Susanna Clarke--also invites comparisons with Jane Austen. Set in the early nineteenth-century, the action moves from genteel drawing rooms—albeit where a mischievous Faerie king sips tea with the wife of a very human government minister, to the bloody battleground of Waterloo, where giant hands of earth drag men to their doom. The juxtaposition of perfectly realised magical worlds and the everyday one with which JK Rowling and Philip Pullman so successfully captured our imaginations and the social comedy of Austen and Thackeray can easily be recognised. But less easy to pastiche is the ability of these writers to induce sheer narrative pleasure, and it is Clarke’s great achievement that she succeeds with this hugely enjoyable read.
Gilbert Norrell is determined to single-handedly rehabilitate his sanitised and patriotic version of English magic, which has suffered a post-Enlightenment neglect after a richly dark history. He ruthlessly secures his place as England’s only magician in two marvellously drawn feats. First, he brings the statutes of York Cathedral to life and then, to facilitate his entry into London society, he brings a young bride-to-be back from the dead--a feat with terrible consequences. However, another more naturally gifted magician—Jonathan Strange—emerges to become his pupil and later his rival. Strange becomes increasingly obsessed with the Raven King—the medieval lord-magician of the North of England and pursues his desire to recruit a fairy servant to the edge of madness. Whilst the differing characters of Norrell and Strange give the book a central human conflict, it is the tension between the dual natures of civilised and wilder magic that lends it a metaphysical texture that shades the narrative with wonderful and troubling descriptions of ships made of rain, paths between mirrors and faerie roads leading out of England to a bleak yet dazzling realm. Fortunately, the precision of her storytelling never reigns in Clarke’s prodigious imagination.

Clarke’s broad canvas of characters—including Wellington, Napoleon and Bryon, locations and tones are masterfully realised. However, sometimes her own enchantment with them leads her to drop her pace, although even at almost 800 pages, this is a book to which you’ll muster up little resistance. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is the perfect novel to take up residence in as the nights get longer. -- Fiona Buckland
 madgeman 
Old 11-Oct-2004, 14:54   #64
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
Just finished Just One Look by Harlan Coben, the first thriller/mystery to keep me guessing until the last few pages in an absolute age. Possibly the best book I've read in a while too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 12-Oct-2004, 21:39   #65
de_duck
off topic
de_duck has much to be proud ofde_duck has much to be proud ofde_duck has much to be proud ofde_duck has much to be proud ofde_duck has much to be proud ofde_duck has much to be proud ofde_duck has much to be proud ofde_duck has much to be proud ofde_duck has much to be proud of
Just started "The long walk to freedom", Nelson mandela's autobiography, 70% curiosity and 30% because im (hopfully) doing politics at uni next year and I havnt read this . Got Empire of the Sun to start on next, two books of nice light reading :/

What would St Augestine of Hippo think now?
Old 12-Oct-2004, 21:43   #66
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
Finally got onto the 1st book in the Riftwar Saga.. Magician.
Must be over 15 years since I read it. It's already capturing me like it did that first time.
Old 15-Oct-2004, 07:36   #67
ophiuchus
to post or not to post
ophiuchus has a reputation beyond reputeophiuchus has a reputation beyond reputeophiuchus has a reputation beyond reputeophiuchus has a reputation beyond reputeophiuchus has a reputation beyond reputeophiuchus has a reputation beyond reputeophiuchus has a reputation beyond reputeophiuchus has a reputation beyond reputeophiuchus has a reputation beyond reputeophiuchus has a reputation beyond reputeophiuchus has a reputation beyond repute
War of the Flowers by Tad Williams
Old 20-Oct-2004, 02:00   #68
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Sierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I finished Pompeii
http://www.trickery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=17387

And I've now decided to start on White Wolf by Gemmell. Can you tell I'm a bit of a Gemmell fan?
Send a message via ICQ to Sierro Send a message via AIM to Sierro Send a message via MSN to Sierro Send a message via Yahoo to Sierro  Sierro 
Old 20-Oct-2004, 08:57   #69
Sonic Samurai
free bandwidth?
Sonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond repute
Still finishing off the book on Mike Durant but am also half way through A Bridge Too Far and the Inquisition Wars trilogy.
Old 20-Oct-2004, 09:35   #70
stepper
post haste
stepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond repute
The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Deception Point.

All great
Old 20-Oct-2004, 12:30   #71
the funkmaster
posts sponsored by spam
the funkmaster has a reputation beyond reputethe funkmaster has a reputation beyond reputethe funkmaster has a reputation beyond reputethe funkmaster has a reputation beyond reputethe funkmaster has a reputation beyond reputethe funkmaster has a reputation beyond reputethe funkmaster has a reputation beyond reputethe funkmaster has a reputation beyond reputethe funkmaster has a reputation beyond reputethe funkmaster has a reputation beyond reputethe funkmaster has a reputation beyond repute
Monday Starts on Saturday
While I was doing that, you know, all the kissing on the honey lips, it burned like fire, and it reminded me of cheap melting plastic. The kind that makes little clouds of white vapour gas and when it catches on fire, makes those little... little strings of black smoke with little ashes attached to them.

That's how it was, kissing honey lips.
Old 20-Oct-2004, 16:22   #72
Hotel2Tango
Hotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant futureHotel2Tango has a brilliant future
Paul Coelho - 'The Alchemist'
Old 20-Oct-2004, 16:24   #73
MALLET
to post or not to post
MALLET is a name known to allMALLET is a name known to allMALLET is a name known to allMALLET is a name known to allMALLET is a name known to allMALLET is a name known to all
this webpage.
Old 29-Oct-2004, 15:23   #74
Hamster
founder of the +1 forum
Hamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierro
Well, I finished Pompeii

And I've now decided to start on White Wolf by Gemmell. Can you tell I'm a bit of a Gemmell fan?
Gemmell rocks.

Although his last one "Swords of Night and Day" was pretty dire.
Old 29-Oct-2004, 16:31   #75
Hotel2Tango
Audrey Niffenegger - "The Time Traveller's Wife"
Old 29-Oct-2004, 16:42   #76
BBW
Contains flashing images.
Tournaments Won: 1
BBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster
Quote:
Well, I finished Pompeii

Gemmell rocks.

His last book was dire and yet he "rocks"?
Old 29-Oct-2004, 16:45   #77
Hotel2Tango
I used to love Gemmell as a kid, but re-read a couple of my favourites recently and cant believe how bad they were. I dont dare reread any of the others as I may be similarly disappointed.
Old 30-Oct-2004, 13:28   #78
Hamster
founder of the +1 forum
Hamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond reputeHamster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster
Quote:
Well, I finished Pompeii

Gemmell rocks.

His last book was dire and yet he "rocks"?
Generally, yes, considering he wrote a good dozen or so that I did like.
Similarly, I really dislike some of Iain Banks work, yet I still consider him one of my favourite authors.
Old 02-Nov-2004, 11:37   #79
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Just read White Wolf and quite liked it... I'm reading Going Postal by Pterry now, and have Swords of Night and Day to follow it up with.
Old 10-Nov-2004, 11:01   #80
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
Finally bought 1984 by Orwell t'other day. Will probably start sometime this week.
Old 10-Nov-2004, 11:03   #81
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
After munching through Feist's Riftwar Saga, I'm now on Pratchett's Soul Music.
Old 10-Nov-2004, 11:24   #82
Sonic Samurai
free bandwidth?
Sonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond reputeSonic Samurai has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovYF
My favourite Pratchett.

Finished Durant's book and A Bridge Too Far. Am now mid way through Harlequin by Ian Watson and half way into Second Foundation (book 3 of the first Foundation trilogy) by Isaac Asimov.
Old 10-Nov-2004, 11:40   #83
blindspot
spam tbh
blindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud of
1984 is a fantastic book, you'll love it lungers.

Imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever...

Halfway through a collection of Phillip K Dick novels, which are quite good.

Also reading Bill Bryson a short history of everything which is good.

Bought and read the latest Pratchett too which is fun.

Can thoroughly recommend 'Cheese Monkeys' by Chip Kidd (what a brain that man has got... ) and for an odd read 'Pink' by Gus Van Sant.
Old 10-Nov-2004, 11:53   #84
blindspot
spam tbh
blindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud ofblindspot has much to be proud of
Oh I forgot... also recently read "Vernon 'God' Little" the booker prize winner.

Pleasantly surprised, found it an entertaining read.. its a nauseating (and satirical) look at a backwater US state town and a gobshite of a boy who gets stitched up by a combination of chance and unscrupulous reporters and officials.

Can recommend it. Tho fear it may be for hollywood treatment some time soon :/
Old 10-Nov-2004, 12:46   #85
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Samurai
Quote:
My favourite Pratchett.
Certainly one of my favourites, though I'm also quite fond of Thief of Time. Soul Music has the best references though
Old 10-Nov-2004, 13:43   #86
Brain_Murders
my other post is a smiley
Brain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud ofBrain_Murders has much to be proud of
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Samurai
Quote:
My favourite Pratchett.
Certainly one of my favourites, though I'm also quite fond of Thief of Time. Soul Music has the best references though
Night Watch for me - it took a while but the watch books have edged out the death books.

Saying that though, I am really into all of them.

Still doing my Spanish (just about) and havent made much progress through Red Rabbit...
Old 10-Nov-2004, 15:19   #87
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Watch books are the best series, but Night Watch was a bit weird for the whole time travel thing... Men At Arms is one of my faves though, along with Feet of Clay.
Old 14-Nov-2004, 00:57   #88
Hotel2Tango
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindspot
Oh I forgot... also recently read "Vernon 'God' Little" the booker prize winner.

Pleasantly surprised, found it an entertaining read.. its a nauseating (and satirical) look at a backwater US state town and a gobshite of a boy who gets stitched up by a combination of chance and unscrupulous reporters and officials.

Can recommend it. Tho fear it may be for hollywood treatment some time soon :/
Aye, great book. A little bit clichéd anti-Americanism, but still very good.
Old 15-Nov-2004, 01:36   #89
Hot Soup
click here to reset post count
Tournaments Won: 1
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
Been reading a fair bit recently. Finished The Dante Club by Mathew Pearl, Feists Riftwar series and Prince of the blood and about half way through Kings Buccaneer. Also read Ringworlds Children before that \o/
Hot Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Nov-2004, 15:40   #90
Valheru_-
Post from time to time
Valheru_- has a reputation beyond reputeValheru_- has a reputation beyond reputeValheru_- has a reputation beyond reputeValheru_- has a reputation beyond reputeValheru_- has a reputation beyond reputeValheru_- has a reputation beyond reputeValheru_- has a reputation beyond reputeValheru_- has a reputation beyond reputeValheru_- has a reputation beyond reputeValheru_- has a reputation beyond reputeValheru_- has a reputation beyond repute
Just started robin hobbs Fools Fate (I got it for 2.99 from the works books shop bot bad huh). I hope to read Ring worlds Children but not till its out on paper back. I still mean to get into Micheal Moorcock. Hopefully i will next year.

Anyone read the book of the New Sun, books by Gene Wolfe? I quite liked them may read them in the future again.

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Books

Tags
30000 fucking books, 50 shades of idiot, reading is for poofs, sheffield serial reader