trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Books

Old 22-Jan-2013, 01:55   #1801
T3CH^
Too old for this shit
T3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhadix View Post
Just finished A Memory of Light by Jordan/Sanderson. Very enjoyable i thought and pretty solid end to the series. A few weak spots with endings to some of the plotlines but some very good parts and I think, as with all the Sanderson penned ones, written with a better pace and style than the later jordan ones.
But is it a fitting ending to the series?

Been waiting an age on this

'Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps.........it is time to die'
 T3CHguyver 
Old 22-Jan-2013, 09:55   #1802
[RaG]Ethel
Alfa Male
[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute

Enders Game queued up next so I can scoff at the film when it comes out
Old 22-Jan-2013, 12:06   #1803
Rhadix
forum hax
Rhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3CH^ View Post
But is it a fitting ending to the series?

Been waiting an age on this
Yeah I would say it was a fitting end and once I had finished I was pretty happy with the way it had all been resolved. Unlike the malazan books this is definitely a series I will read again
Old 22-Jan-2013, 12:10   #1804
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
Jo Nesbo - Phantom.
Read all the Harry Hole novels so far, Phantom being the 7th. Can definitely see how his writing style has changed. I started with The Snowman which is a cracking read, then hit the novels up from the start.
Highly recommended set of books really, and worth starting from the beginning in the order as their is nice character progression.

Oh yeah, they're crime-thrillers.

Last edited by GroovYF; 22-Jan-2013 at 12:33.
 groovyf 
Old 22-Jan-2013, 12:34   #1805
FuzzyLogic
troll
FuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzyLogic has a reputation beyond repute
Edgar Rice Burroughs Barsoom series. Considering it's nearly century old pulp scifi, it's very entertaining.
Old 22-Jan-2013, 16:03   #1806
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Another catch-up;

Spitfire: Icon of a nation by Ivan Rendall; great 'coffee table' book, lavishly illustrated, that goes right back to the roots. Here was me believing 'The first of the few' and thinking RJ Mitchell was yer right upper-middle-class, public-school, old boy type, he wasn't, he was an ex-railway apprentice, and proudly working class. Even more of an inspiration then, if you ask me.

The Stainless Steel Rat returns by Harry Harrison; typical Rat adventures; planet-hopping, trying to right wrongs while living it as large as the drinks cabinet permits

Ghost wars: the secret history of the CIA, Afghanistan, and bin Laden, from the Soviet invasion to September 10, 2001 by Steve Coll. Recommended read this, very much so. A lot of it has been in the public domain for a while, but it's fascinating having all the incredibly tangled threads woven together in one book.

Just about to finish The Battle of Corrin, last in the Legends of Dune trilogy, very good thus far. Then, finally, I dive into Banks' latest Culture novel, Hydrogen Sonata. I had it out of the library before, but got sidetracked.

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 23-Jan-2013, 21:59   #1807
Hot Soup
click here to reset post count
Tournaments Won: 1
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
Finished reading the third Sten omnibus a few weeks ago. Thoroughly entertaining stuff.

If you like some old school military / combat sci-fi give it a try. I do recommend.
Not really read a massive amount since that , mainly graphic novels. American Vampire, rereading Sleeper and some B.P.R.D.

Book wise just started Final Days by Gary Gibson. Good start , involving the destruction of the planet, wormholes and time travel chicanery

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Hot Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jan-2013, 23:18   #1808
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
Odd Thomas - Apocalypse

Not a bad book in of itself but veering away from traditional Odd Thomas territory, enjoying it so far.
Old 05-Feb-2013, 19:28   #1809
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Finished The Hydrogen Sonata last night, terrific addition to the Culture saga, some great interaction, as usual, between the Ships/Minds, definitely one of Bank's better ones, great read; 9/10

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 21-Mar-2013, 19:38   #1810
Useless
forum hax
Useless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond repute
Just finished the Hobbit, enjoyed it.
Undecided what to read next.
Old 22-Mar-2013, 13:17   #1811
burundi
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
On my fourth Harry Dresden novel at the moment 'Summer Knight', enjoying these books a lot.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden
Old 22-Mar-2013, 13:37   #1812
[RaG]Ethel
Alfa Male
[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute[RaG]Ethel has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [RaG]Ethel View Post

Enders Game queued up next so I can scoff at the film when it comes out
I sneaked the first Barsoom in between but am reading Enders Game now ... not what I expected so far !
Old 22-Mar-2013, 13:46   #1813
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Re-reading A drink before the war by Dennis Lehane.
Old 22-Mar-2013, 14:06   #1814
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
A friend has mentioned Dennis Lehane. Any good as an author, as I've not heard of him before.
Old 22-Mar-2013, 15:44   #1815
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
The Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond reputeThe Big Kahuna has a reputation beyond repute
Utterly, utterly superb. He wrote Gone Baby Gone, Mystic River and Shutter Island, if you've seen any of those films. The characters in Gone Baby Gone began in A drink before the war, and are in a further 5 books.
Old 22-Mar-2013, 16:08   #1816
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
Can you recommend a starting point, book-wise? I'll add to my ever-growing list of books to acquire.
Old 22-Mar-2013, 16:31   #1817
The Big Kahuna
Younger than Ethel
A drink before the war. Read all the Kenzie & Gennaro books in order.

1. A Drink Before the War
  2. Darkness, Take My Hand
  3. Sacred )
  4. Gone, Baby, Gone
  5. Prayers for Rain
  6. Moonlight Mile

After that, read all the Spenser novels by Robert B. Parker, in order.
Old 29-Apr-2013, 23:27   #1818
Hot Soup
click here to reset post count
Tournaments Won: 1
Hot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond reputeHot Soup has a reputation beyond repute
Read a couple of thing's recently ,

Fortress Frontier which is the second of Myke Coles military magic series , reasonable bunkum!

I've also read over the past fortnight or so The Gap Sequence by Stephen Donaldson

1.) The Real Story and Forbidden Knowledge
2.) A Dark and Hungry God Arises
3.) Chaos and Order
4.) This Day all Gods Die

Very good sci-fi but very grim and dystopian at times. As one of the girls put it at work , part 1 is " a bit rapey"

He really does put his characters through the ringer , but the last two books flashed by. I like the aliens , a bit different to the usual.

Currently about halfway through The Grim Company by Luke Scull . Fantasy set in a world where various mages banded together to kill all the gods , whose corpses now rot magic into the world.. Pretty good so far, a bit of Joe Abercrombie in there which is a good thing.

Why'd you open your bong hole you smelly hippy? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey?

Hawks of the Luftwaffe!
Hot Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Apr-2013, 01:31   #1819
T3CH^
Too old for this shit
T3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond reputeT3CH^ has a reputation beyond repute
Just read Ender's game, Speaker for the dead and nearly finished Xenocide.

Books 1 and 2 are VERY different in this series.

'Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps.........it is time to die'
 T3CHguyver 
Old 30-Apr-2013, 09:13   #1820
Rhadix
forum hax
Rhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond reputeRhadix has a reputation beyond repute
Exiles Return by Feist.

Doing a full run through of all the Feist books since the final one is due out next week, still fairly enjoyable considering tis been a few years since I read any of them
Old 30-Apr-2013, 09:51   #1821
[RaG]Ethel
Alfa Male
Ender's Shadow after Ender's Game.
Old 11-May-2013, 11:35   #1822
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/1...Dan-Brown.html

This is great!
Old 11-May-2013, 11:41   #1823
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
How to Win Friends and Influence People (for the third time) so I can try and be less of an asshole.
Old 11-May-2013, 11:45   #1824
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Minty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond repute
Just finished A Feast For Crows 3 days ago. Good, but not as good as the preceeding 3 books. Hopefully it will improve when I read A Dance With Dragons. Why GRRM decided to split it geographically Ill never understand.

Since I finished that book, Ive read the entireity of Enders Game, which I found quite difficult to get into at first, as its hard to relate to a supergenius 6 year old. Once I did get into it though, it was absolutely superb, very good story and I really enjoyed it.

Started reading The God Delusion now. Once thats finished, back to A Song Of Ice And Fire.
Old 11-May-2013, 11:45   #1825
Minty
T'reet Fetler!
Minty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond reputeMinty has a reputation beyond repute
Just finished A Feast For Crows 3 days ago. Good, but not as good as the preceeding 3 books. Hopefully it will improve when I read A Dance With Dragons. Why GRRM decided to split it geographically Ill never understand.

Since I finished that book, Ive read the entireity of Enders Game, which I found quite difficult to get into at first, as its hard to relate to a supergenius 6 year old. Once I did get into it though, it was absolutely superb, very good story and I really enjoyed it.

Started reading The God Delusion now. Once thats finished, back to A Song Of Ice And Fire.
Old 11-May-2013, 12:42   #1826
Rojin
postaholic
Rojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond reputeRojin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
Nice

I'm currently reading the latest Dambusters from S Ambrose.
Old 11-May-2013, 12:51   #1827
mr_o
post count reset at 9999
mr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond reputemr_o has a reputation beyond repute
Re-read Old Mans War and the two follow ups. They also released 13 small episodic stories earlier in the year set in the same universe. The collated stories and a few more come out next week.
 Oddbin 
Old 12-May-2013, 12:06   #1828
burundi
I'm still hammering through the Harry Dresden books, just started Ghost Story, can't put the damn things down.
Old 12-May-2013, 12:10   #1829
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
Re-reading Clive Barker's Weaveworld for the first time in about 20 years.
Old 12-May-2013, 12:59   #1830
The Dark One
meh
The Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond repute
Bedlam by Christopher Brookmyre (on blackisle's recommendation)

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Books

Tags
30000 fucking books, 50 shades of idiot, reading is for poofs, sheffield serial reader