trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 29-Jun-2006, 12:33   #1
Mr_Skiff
Under The Thumb
Mr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond repute
Mobile PDA Sync with Exchange 2003

My boss has gone out and bought a all in one PDA/Phone/Video camera thingy majigy and he wants me to sync it with our Exchange 2003 server.

Fine I thought so I enabled OMA with all the default settings on Exchange 2003 and then tried to sync his PDA using our external IP address/OMA with all the relevant user details. For some reason his PDA cannot find the server but his GPRS works fine browsing other sites, he can even connect to OurIP/oma using IE.

Am I missing something on the Exchange side of things or is the PDA part of the problem? I have enabled unsupoorted devices in the OMA options so it cant be that. He ideally wanted our Exchange server to push E-mails to his PDA but we finally settled on just using the PDA's activesync option.

Has anyone set this up before successfully?

Cheers in advance!
Old 29-Jun-2006, 18:39   #2
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
Has been a long day and I cant think straight. But Im sure theres something wierd like hostnames, dns lookups and work/internet modes to sort out.

I'll have a proper think after some sleep.
Old 30-Jun-2006, 14:43   #3
Mr_Skiff
Under The Thumb
Mr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond repute
No worries its all sorted now. Finally pinned the problem down to the sync address on the PDA, it had our IP/OMA when it should have just included our server IP.

Working quite fast as well, soon all of our employee's will be able to access their E-mail via GPRS on their PDA while they are walking about
Old 30-Jun-2006, 15:19   #4
The Dark One
meh
The Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond repute
Just wait 'til yuo get mobile push working, e-mail on their pda when it arrives instead of a sync every hour
Old 30-Jun-2006, 16:53   #5
Mr_Skiff
Under The Thumb
Thats exactly what my Boss wants me to do next Dark One

I've read a little on the web and it looks like I need to input a phone network into the Exchange settings to "push" the data to his PDA. Still I dont have to worry about that until Monday, bring on the footy
Old 30-Jun-2006, 17:18   #6
The Dark One
meh
The Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dark One has a reputation beyond repute
Need to service pack up and be sure your device has a suitable firmware version.

Also, its not as smart as a blackberry so tends to consume a fair bit of your gprs bundle. Blackberry really is a much much better solution at the moment
Old 01-Jul-2006, 16:25   #7
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah GPRS costs could become huuuuuge.
Old 03-Jul-2006, 08:54   #8
Mr_Skiff
Under The Thumb
To try and solve these GPRS costs I've set up his PDA to disregard E-mail attachments larger than 20K, this way it will only download those small MS office attachments he needs.

Am I right in saying GPRS is billed on how much data is transferred and not how long the connection is active for?
Old 03-Jul-2006, 09:00   #9
The Dark One
meh
GPRS is per k, not per second.

It really depends on the tariff, they're not as bad as they used to be with unlimited (i.e. within reasonable levels) being quite affordable.

I didn't think much to the current MS push solution, but its better than the first blackberry release. Really do believe Blackberry is a better solution as it's not pinging the server every few minutes to keep the connection open

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware