trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Virtual Reality

Old 18-Sep-2018, 16:15   #1
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
PSVR: Firewall: Zero Hour

I've been boring the tits off people on Discord about this for a couple of weeks but thought I'd throw a general infothread up as it's represents the killer VR app that I've been waiting for for years. Besides simply being a fascinating release and being keen to play with trickery pros I totally recommend a crack at VR to anyone with a PS4 and/or some funny money knocking about for the rest of the caboodle. PSVR now at around 170-200 is about as cheap as a quality entry point to VR gets and there's a two year back catalogue of must-play games and apps priced to sell in the latter stages of PS4's livecycle.

Firewall itself is a CS/R6 style 4v4 milshooter with a decent XP/C$ progression system out back and the usual range of weapons, skills and gadgets up front. What sets the game apart from everything which it derives is the 100% dedicated integration with Sony's relatively inexpensive PSVR headset and (optional) support for the wireless Aim Controller peripheral. You control movement on the dual-sticks, you aim the gun at what you want to kill and you pull the trigger...

As mentioned in the above video, a game crafted from scratch (in UE) with the VR hardware in mind makes for a sublime experience that I've lost countless hours to already since release. Creeping around under the threat of lifesize death by twitch-style gameplay generates acute tension and the unique gameplay potential of finally having your gun properly divorced from a crosshair feels like a natural progression that's long overdue. Firing blind, over objects, around corners and through oblique windows into rooms is all possible and I fear will make a return to flatscreen FPS's highly fucking painful.

There's some hopefully simple snags for the devs to overcome. I'd like to see swift addition of some QOL features like antialiasing settings, AFK Kicks, individual player mutes, character defaults and shorter Lobby load times. Gameplay wise most people are asking for BO3 om a map rather than BO1 then back to lobby. Some weapons need a tweak as you'd expect. The devs currently appear responsive to feedback though and keen to patch swiftly. One patch in the first week and another in the pipe following a recent Sony firmware update. As far as minimum viable products go I've spent more on far less in the past and hope the high popularity of the game will fund decent engagement. This really does have legs and if they release for PC with some sort of gun controller I'll sell the entirety of the PS setup and get a Vive Pro same day.

What do I need?

PS4/PS4 Pro - The Pro is unnecessary for all VR games so far. It's specced up for 4k/high def improvements which most VR games don't or won't take advantage of in the 1080p VR display whilst ensuring they meet Sony's 90fps minimum for VR releases. If you buy second hand then try to run out ten mins of gameplay/video to make sure it's stable. Check all controller buttons. It's likely very obvious if something is busted.

PSVR - There are two versions, CUH-ZVR1 and CUH-ZVR2. Both have precisely the same tech spec and internals but the V2 (PSVR CUH-ZVR2) is likely the only one you'll find new in the shops and has volume/mic controls on the headset rather than the cable and a slightly lighter cable as a result. If you chance on a second hand V1 (PSVR CUH-ZVR1) you'll not suffer at all in lieu of the V2. I've owned both. When buying get it turned on and into something VR. Check the lenses for serious scuff. Light abrasions are not an issue and may even be repairable with scratch filler. Check that all tracking lights work (7).

Aim Controller - Currently shipping bundled with firewall at a very reasonable 60, this thing is a hilarious extravagance for one game so you'll be pleased to note there's a whole other good game called Farpoint that supports it as well. Single player. Alien murders. I hope another couple of worthy titles turn up but if they don't at 30 quid each for Firewall and the controller I don't feel hard done by.

Playstation Plus subscription - this is a straight up con. Total shakedown. Not even going to link it. 50 odd quid a year to play online games that don't even have dedicated servers. Complete bullshit but you can't play without it. They attempt to lube the shaft with discounted games and free time based trials of games which I guess is worth it if unlike me you bother playing them.

Firewall:ZH Reviews and Links

https://uploadvr.com/firewall-zero-hour-review/
http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps...wall_zero_hour
https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/10/firew...t-aim-7928854/
https://www.roadtovr.com/firewall-ze...laystation-vr/
https://www.gamespot.com/videos/fire.../2300-6445617/

https://twitter.com/firstcontactent?lang=en
https://www.firstcontactent.com/
https://www.reddit.com/r/FireWallZeroHour/

I'll twitch some games tonight if anyone has an interest in messaging abuse about my aim.

https://www.twitch.tv/namaitreni/

Last edited by Inertiaman; 18-Sep-2018 at 16:23.
Old 18-Sep-2018, 20:57   #2
GroovYF
Octave Doctor
GroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond reputeGroovYF has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the heads-up, and write-up on this. With two Move controllers at hand and thoroughly enjoyed London Heist, this looks up my street!
Old 18-Sep-2018, 22:10   #3
Ned
each time i post god kills a kitten
Tournaments Won: 1
Ned has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond reputeNed has a reputation beyond repute
Just been playing this at Mr Inertiamans, really really fucking good fun. Not been that excited about playing a game since the early CS days.

If I hadn't just paid for a holiday I would be the proud new owner of a PS4, PSVR and Firewall by this time tomorrow.
 neddage 
Old 18-Sep-2018, 22:33   #4
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovYF View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, and write-up on this. With two Move controllers at hand and thoroughly enjoyed London Heist, this looks up my street!
Full version of this is imminent. Blood and Truth.
Old 19-Sep-2018, 10:52   #5
Wilco
will post for food
Wilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond reputeWilco has a reputation beyond repute
I've got a PC vive rather than PSVR, but hoping there is a PC version of this style of game soon (I believe there is, can't remember the name, hopfully as polished).

VR would be a nice equaliser for cross-platform play. The PC space probably does need a standard well-supported aim controller
Originally Posted by Big Brother Idiot #164
I'm not saying I'm shallow or anything, but I wouldn't bother talking to an ugly person
Old 19-Sep-2018, 11:33   #6
Inertiaman
Vive tech (and cost) is obviously a different league from PSVR but this game serves as a good reminder that a decent game on a 200 quid HMU blows the hardware disparity aside "in the moment". If they ever did open up cross-platform I'd be interested to see how they'd neuter/balance out the increased move/turn potential that vive tracking offers over the optical only PSVR. I guess you'd end up at the lowest common denominator. Feels hard to imagine Sony of old being onboard with cross-platform but Fortnite etc have ushered in a new era there.
Old 20-Sep-2018, 09:47   #7
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I can't get on with it. So much want to. So: Firewall:zero hour and aim controller available to a loving home!
Old 20-Sep-2018, 10:50   #8
Inertiaman
Motion sickness?
Old 24-Sep-2018, 23:35   #9
Inertiaman

Good take.
Old 25-Sep-2018, 12:11   #10
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
Tournaments Won: 1
devs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond repute
PSVR v1 at those prices? V2 seems more.

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Virtual Reality