trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 10-Jul-2009, 16:20   #31
mope
founder of the +1 forum
mope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond repute
I *think* so Useless, I have a 530W Hiper PSU. It reccomends a 400W.

I got a model which isn't overclocked out of the box, as I knew it was at the upper limit of my set-up without. I guess its a choice between replacing the stock cooler (which I doubt is an option due to space) and adding fans into the side of the case (again I have my doubts about this, as I can see it resulting in negative airflow), or changing the case, which I'm not keen on given the options available.

Antec Three Hundred seems like a nice case, but don't really want to swap a well made aluminium case for a lower end plastic one.
 mopeh 
Old 10-Jul-2009, 16:38   #32
Karmic
Spirit of the soap box
Karmic has a reputation beyond reputeKarmic has a reputation beyond reputeKarmic has a reputation beyond reputeKarmic has a reputation beyond reputeKarmic has a reputation beyond reputeKarmic has a reputation beyond reputeKarmic has a reputation beyond reputeKarmic has a reputation beyond reputeKarmic has a reputation beyond reputeKarmic has a reputation beyond reputeKarmic has a reputation beyond repute
I have one of these, may fit into your case.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...coolers_4.html
Old 10-Jul-2009, 17:18   #33
mope
founder of the +1 forum
mope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond reputemope has a reputation beyond repute
I have a mATX, with a PCI-E, PCI, PCI, PCI-e setup. As it stands, the graphics card takes up the top two slots, then theres a couple millimetres between the card and my wireless internet card. Moving it down isn't an option given the number of slots.

The pictures give the impression the cooler takes up two slots below the graphics card aswell, so fear it might be too big.
 mopeh 
Old 10-Jul-2009, 17:33   #34
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
same cooler as karmic, with the 8800gtx and that cooler 3 slots are taken up instead of the normal 2, cooling is good though but that's the cost.

sounds like your psu may be a touch under powered, a 650w shouldn't be that much extra, maybe borrow one from a friend to check if that improves things
Old 10-Jul-2009, 17:41   #35
wooly-back-jack
Tactical Hider
wooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond repute
underpowered wtf!
Send a message via MSN to wooly-back-jack
Old 10-Jul-2009, 18:07   #36
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
can't have too much power but a kW psu would be overkill
aware of other cases where nvidia have stated the card needs x power and then real life has found that a bit more is required, borrowing a mate's psu would confirm or rule it out easily enough

since it sounds as if there isn't space for a big aftermarket cooler at least this means mope can test possibly the other option whilst he mulls over if he wants to lose some of the other cards to allow him to change the cooling on the 8800

other options being extra case fans and having to work out whether to orientate the fans to suck/blow depending on their position and the air flow route through the case, will require deciding on the desired trade off between additional noise and the cfm airflow desired, lots or little and more likely these will have to be purchased than borrowing a psu.

all imo only of course
Old 10-Jul-2009, 18:14   #37
jimbobaggies
BOING BOING!
jimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond repute
400watts would cope with a basic system containing an 8800 VGA. Try this online calculator....

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I have 1.8GHz C2D overclocked to 3GHz, 4Gig DDR2, 4 SATA-II hard drives, 1 SATA DVD-RW, 3 120mm case fans with controller, 1 120mm CPU fan with LED and half dozen USB peripherals, that calculates out to 345watts.... although I am running a Corsair HX520
Old 10-Jul-2009, 18:16   #38
mope
founder of the +1 forum
I can't really afford 100+ for a Hiper 630W. Might just have to wait it out with the side of the off and upgrade the system properly later in the year.

I don't get why if the problem is due to a lack of power, taking the side off the case solves this.
 mopeh 
Old 10-Jul-2009, 18:16   #39
wooly-back-jack
Tactical Hider
wooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond reputewooly-back-jack has a reputation beyond repute
if it was a Q-tec or something else cheapo I could understand maybe needing more but Hyper should be spot on at that rating.
Old 10-Jul-2009, 18:21   #40
jimbobaggies
BOING BOING!
jimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond repute
Why would you need to spend 100 on a PSU, you can get decent branded ones for ~65 which are all you need.

The Hiper 530 watt you have is fine as long as it is not faulty... I did have a Hiper, the modular one that was blue with blue LED. There were lots of reported faults with those, so I sold it and went for the Corsair which is highly rated. Cost me 60, they're about 75 now, and I bought mine over a year ago.

Last edited by jimbobaggies; 10-Jul-2009 at 18:28.
Send a message via ICQ to jimbobaggies Send a message via MSN to jimbobaggies Send a message via Yahoo to jimbobaggies
Old 10-Jul-2009, 18:22   #41
wooly-back-jack
Tactical Hider
Quote:
Originally Posted by mope View Post
I have a 530W Hiper PSU. It reccomends a 400W.

Old 10-Jul-2009, 18:24   #42
mope
founder of the +1 forum
I tried the 'eXtreme Power Supply Calculator'. Including a 20% allowance for capacitor aging, the recommended PSU wattage was 358W.

Yeah, I can't spell. I thought it looked wrong :/
 mopeh 
Old 10-Jul-2009, 18:26   #43
wooly-back-jack
Tactical Hider
nice edit jimbo
Old 10-Jul-2009, 18:42   #44
mope
founder of the +1 forum
Iv uploaded a picture, hopefully it shows why I think airflow might be an issue with the new card. More likely, it probably only shows that I'm clutching at straws not to have to buy a new PSU.

It includes the load vs. idle core temp (red) too, with the side panel removed.
 mopeh 
Old 10-Jul-2009, 18:50   #45
Nomad
i fear no midget
8800gtx is good for 3 things, graphics, heat and obstructing airflow

if you have a spare 5 1/4" bay you could a slot of little fans there to extract or provide more air as you need to the top section

or just run it with the side off/ajar

Last edited by Nomad; 10-Jul-2009 at 18:52.
Old 10-Jul-2009, 20:47   #46
mope
founder of the +1 forum
I'll have a mess, see what happens. If not, inspiration:

mopeh 
Old 11-Jul-2009, 00:38   #47
Useless
forum hax
Useless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

If you are using vista or windows 7, download rivatuner and a gpu monitor gadget which works with rivatuner. It gives info on the temps as well as the fan speed of you graphic card. I use it on my computer as I was a bit worried about the temps on my card, an 8800gtx that was getting up to 80 degrees, but as it turned out it's quite normal for that card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
8800gtx is good for 3 things, graphics, heat and obstructing airflow
That about sums it up

There is a passive cooler which has got good reviews for that particular card,Thermalright HR-03, which I was considering getting. Good thing about it is you can add a fan to it to bring the temps right down, but as my computer is running ok I really couldn't be bothered
Old 14-Jul-2009, 15:13   #48
Synbios
wuptidoo
Synbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to beholdSynbios is a splendid one to behold
I had a Hiper PSU a few years back, silver mesh design, 480W, 2x12V rails and easily rated to handle P4/A64 etc.

After about 2 years, mMy PC started turning off on its own, and after a few months of letting it happen I decided to check it out properly. I went through two new sticks of RAM before realising it wasn't the RAM, CPU or board, but the PSU. Replaced with an old 400W generic (Mercury) PSU and had no problems besides more noise.

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Tags
sounds like a dns problem