trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Films

Old 24-Jul-2006, 09:28   #91
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Sierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazwankle
I would also take out Star Wars, the Matrix, Lord Of The Rings, new King Kong (haven't seen the original).

Everybody under the sun has seen these films.

I think the idea of the list is to include slightly smaller films. The aces in your "recommend to your friends" lists.

"Have you ever seen xxxxxxxx?"
"No"
"you HAVE to watch that film"

As opposed to....

"Have you ever seen Star Wars?"
"Yes about 50,000 times"
True, but how about this conversation...

"It's like that bit from Star Wars when they find the wrecked landspeeder..."
"Never seen it."
"OMG YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT? YOU HAVE TO SEE IT! NOW!"

Therefore Star Wars is most definately a film you must see before you die.

Unless we've changed focus again, and this is now "50 films that weren't all that popular, but were reasonably popular so some people have seen them and say they're great, and arty, that you must see, before you die"
Send a message via ICQ to Sierro Send a message via AIM to Sierro Send a message via MSN to Sierro Send a message via Yahoo to Sierro  Sierro 
Old 24-Jul-2006, 09:29   #92
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovYF
Clerks: also a great movie, and one I enjoy every time I see it, but doesn't quite fit the bill for me.
The thing is Groovy that it's "50 films to see before you die"... name me a film like Clerks ? Especially one that you can watch over and over again and still enjoy (well some people can). It's not "The 50 Best Classic Films".....

That was the point of the Film4 program too.....
Old 24-Jul-2006, 09:50   #93
Hamspoons
I love lamp
Hamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierro
True, but how about this conversation...

Unless we've changed focus again, and this is now "50 films that weren't all that popular, but were reasonably popular so some people have seen them and say they're great, and arty, that you must see, before you die"
Yeah, thats about it

People were saying that they hadn't seen most of the films in the Film4 list, but that was the point of the list. A list of films the average person has most likely not seen. Otherwise it would just be 50 greatest films of all time.

As a general yard stick, think of Mr. Average coming up to you and saying...

"Recommend me some great films that I've PROBABLY never seen, but should"

"Ok how about Star Wars, The Matrix, Gladiator, Lord Of The Rings Trilogy"

"Nope, seen all them. What else?"
Old 24-Jul-2006, 09:56   #94
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Sierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond reputeSierro has a reputation beyond repute
Well if that's true, we need to wipe about half the films suggested so far.
Send a message via ICQ to Sierro Send a message via AIM to Sierro Send a message via MSN to Sierro Send a message via Yahoo to Sierro  Sierro 
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:23   #95
BBW
Contains flashing images.
Tournaments Won: 1
BBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond repute
It's just a list of films that, generally speaking everybody should see before they die.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:26   #96
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Gonna be a bit hard to come up with a top 50 if people can't even agree what sort of list it is
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:29   #97
andy
aka milk!
andy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond repute
Never been a huge fan of Star Wars, though to be fair I only ever watched them sporadically, Lord of the Rings I simply thought were massively overrated; I remember watching the final one in the trilogy, unfortunately it was the extended edition and never have I been so bored.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:30   #98
BBW
BBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond reputeBBW has a reputation beyond repute
Whatever anyone says, Ronin, Brazil, The Wicker Man and Schindler's List - for example, can't possibly be in there.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:31   #99
BBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Never been a huge fan of Star Wars, though to be fair I only ever watched them sporadically, Lord of the Rings I simply thought were massively overrated; I remember watching the final one in the trilogy, unfortunately it was the extended edition and never have I been so bored.
Are you a fan of fnatasy movies? I presume not. Fair enough, but it makes you kind of biased against the genre, tbh.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:32   #100
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW
Whatever anyone says, Ronin, Brazil, The Wicker Man and Schindler's List - for example, can't possibly be in there.

Explain why ?
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:32   #101
andy
aka milk!
andy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond reputeandy has a reputation beyond repute
What? Because I dislike one movie?

Shut up you pillock.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:33   #102
Napoleon
8===D~~~
Napoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond repute
I love Star Wars but I have never seen a worse extremely popular movie than the first Lord of the Rings. Tbh I didn't make this objection because I've only met about 2 people that agreed with me, I assume that will be no different here (it's a computer games forum ffs!)
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:35   #103
andy
aka milk!
Stick together, Nap. BBW is raging.

Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:35   #104
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Yeah... I loved LOTRs Nap... But I grew up as a die hard Tolkein fan and read every book in the Middle Earth series... So I can't comment on anyone elses opinions (I'm too biased)
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:38   #105
Napoleon
8===D~~~
Napoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond repute
I actually dislike the book (tried to read them when I was in primary school, took it back and got a copy of Robert Louis Stevenson's "Kidnapped" instead), but it's more a stylistic issue so I thought I might still enjoy the movies.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:48   #106
BBW
Quote:
What? Because I dislike one movie?

Shut up you pillock.
No, beacuse you dislike 2.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:52   #107
Fulmineus
karma killer
Fulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond repute
Allow me to settle this, with my copy of this

Say NO! to capital t Sponsored by AQA
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:52   #108
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW
No, beacuse you dislike 2.
9, technically.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:53   #109
BBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunteh
Explain why ?
Ronin is not good enough. Simple as. It's a 6/10 movie at best. You will always get fans of certain movies, I accept that, but that doesn't make it a must see film.

Brazil is just plain wierd and 80% of people watching it would just think "wtf?"

The Wicker Man was a low budget, low quality 70's horror flick that was funny, but not essential.

Schindlers List is just plain dull. Sure it has a serious message etc but I tried watching it several times and thought it was too heavy and not entertaining at all.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:53   #110
Sierro
Loves Hayley Williams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmineus
Allow me to settle this, with my copy of this
Haha I love that review...

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Review
Because there are apparently 1001 films that I MUST see before I die, and I don't know when thats gonna be! The book doesn't go into what kind of penalties you might be subject to if you don't see them, but I'm not taking any chances.....I gotta see these films!
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:53   #111
BBW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierro
9, technically.
Good point.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:54   #112
Fulmineus
karma killer
Fulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond repute
Ronin is not in the 1001. The book has spoken.

Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:56   #113
andy
aka milk!
I did mention that the reasoning behind not being a fan of Star Wars was that I had never watched them properly, but sporadically, so had never got into them. Therefore I'd never think 'woo Star Wars.' Well I have watched the last 3 properly but, 1st was alright, second better, third shite. But then they aren't lauded as the originals are.

LOTR on the other hand, unfortunately I have watched those and I do believe they are overrated. There is not a fate worse than watching the final one in its extended edition format; poorly edited, over 4 (!!) hours long, dull dull dull.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:57   #114
BBW
So are you a fan of fantasy movies or not?
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:58   #115
andy
aka milk!
It depends on the movie.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 10:58   #116
Fulmineus
karma killer
I really want to see the EE of ROTK, I couldn't believe they cut Gandalf v Saruman and Gandalf v Witch King out of the theatrical release.

Old 24-Jul-2006, 11:00   #117
BBW
Quote:
It depends on the movie.
Name a fantasy or sci fi movie that you like.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 11:00   #118
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBW
Ronin is not good enough. Simple as. It's a 6/10 movie at best. You will always get fans of certain movies, I accept that, but that doesn't make it a must see film.

Brazil is just plain wierd and 80% of people watching it would just think "wtf?"

The Wicker Man was a low budget, low quality 70's horror flick that was funny, but not essential.

Schindlers List is just plain dull. Sure it has a serious message etc but I tried watching it several times and thought it was too heavy and not entertaining at all.
Ronin, I can't even remember watching so I'm not bothered by....

Brazil is satire. It's clever (and ahead of it's time judging by the references to terrorism etc. that are spot on when looking at the war on terror etc.). The weird bits are the dreams of a man going mad (caused by the fucked up society he lives in). I think it's spot on, to just call it "weird" shows a serious lack of understanding/comprehension (in my opinion). And the cinematography in it is great ! (It was on BBC4 last night as it happens so I watched it again).

The Wicker Man is also a clever film, to just see it as funny is totally missing the point. Alot of critics have applauded the film for having one of the most truely chilling endings of any film (the happy dancing and singing as the lead charactor dies adds heaps to this).

Schinlers List, erm I agree, I can't stand it.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 11:02   #119
andy
aka milk!
SciFi? I believe I mentioned above that the Fifth Element was one of my favourite movies. Whether that will stretch to fantasy, I doubt it.

I'm a fan of SciFi movies generally, but again if there's a shit one, I dislike it. I don't shove it in a genre and defend it.
Old 24-Jul-2006, 11:04   #120
BBW
Brazil goes over the top with the dream stuff. It's just too much.

The Wicker Man was not nearly frightening enough to be classed as a decent horror film, the ending can't save the poor first 90 minutes or whatever.

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Films