trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Mobile Phones, Tablets & PDAs

Old 09-Jun-2010, 12:57   #121
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunteh View Post
You did single out Apple for being ashamed Nersh... Cisco's used them for years and is sitting on over $25 billion.. I can't find any mention of them condemning Foxcomm or saying they have asked the partner to change.

Russ does have a point...
Without doubt other companies have accountability and have of course had human rights abuses under their auspices. But in this case - the global press publically dropped the facts of the matter on the doorstep of Apple regarding the iphone prototype death in 2009 and nothing happened. That's the failing I'm highlighting, not other issues across the entire manufacturing field.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 12:59   #122
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
Furry muff
Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:00   #123
Sysagent
OCD... OCD... OCD... OCD
Sysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiaman View Post
I never narrowed the view, I said that they could have done something sooner, didn't, and should be ashamed. I really think you should have a good long look at which factories produce for which clients before proceeding. The problems are very specifically at the apple manufacturing facilities. They don't make anything else. The wider Hon Hai Group do indeed have other clients but the people we're talkiing about produce apple apple and more apple.
I reiterate:-

An eleventh worker recently died at another factory in northern China.

In total, there have been 13 suicides and suicide attempts at Foxconn factories this year.

They are not just killing themselves in the factories producing Apple devices, they are killing themselves at others.

Edit: you posted the below during me typing the above ^

Quote:
Without doubt other companies have accountability and have of course had human rights abuses under their auspices. But in this case - the global press publically dropped the facts of the matter on the doorstep of Apple regarding the iphone prototype death in 2009 and nothing happened. That's the failing I'm highlighting, not other issues across the entire manufacturing field.
I am sure they wouldn't take any action as a major league company immediately until they have the entire facts to hand of what exactly happened (investigations, reports, evidence, etc) and this probably has taken the length of time it has which the media is latching onto, rightly or wrongly.

Christsakes how long does it take for the process of an investigation into a "standard" industry death in this country?

It can take months or even years to get resolved, so imagine what the timescales are involved here.

Last edited by Sysagent; 09-Jun-2010 at 13:06.
Send a message via MSN to Sysagent
Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:01   #124
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Why do you class it as shit flinging? Ok, there has been a lot of interest, but the conditions were never exactly ideal. Turns out it was a handy trigger to highlight conditions. Certainly opened my eyes a bit, as up until now I never really thought about (the very real) situation that all our modern electronics are made by effectively the same company. Aside from the fact that could be construed as a fucking rip-off(tm), it still means that the western quest for (cheap) shiny has a considerable impact on the occupants of that factory.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:07   #125
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
900,000 employees across the group is just incredible - it would be stupid not to expect some suicide among those numbers. Again - the troubling thing about the originally publicised death is that there was much suspicion that he was killed, or driven to suicide by the corporate security staff. Very precisely there were unconfirmed reports that he was literally thrown from a window.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:07   #126
Sysagent
OCD... OCD... OCD... OCD
Sysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond reputeSysagent has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrobbs View Post
Why do you class it as shit flinging? Ok, there has been a lot of interest, but the conditions were never exactly ideal. Turns out it was a handy trigger to highlight conditions. Certainly opened my eyes a bit, as up until now I never really thought about (the very real) situation that all our modern electronics are made by effectively the same company. Aside from the fact that could be construed as a fucking rip-off(tm), it still means that the western quest for (cheap) shiny has a considerable impact on the occupants of that factory.
You answered the question yourself

Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:11   #127
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
Of course in a resource based economy none of this would have happened
Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:12   #128
Sysagent
OCD... OCD... OCD... OCD
Quote:
900,000 employees across the group is just incredible - it would be stupid not to expect some suicide among those numbers. Again - the troubling thing about the originally publicised death is that there was much suspicion that he was killed, or driven to suicide by the corporate security staff. Very precisely there were unconfirmed reports that he was literally thrown from a window.
To be honest I think he was probably more shit scared than anything and nothing had happened to him since the incident:-

Mr Gu denies hitting Sun, and a CCTV image of the worker on the day before he died - which was featured on the front page of the local Nanfang Metropolitan Daily on Wednesday - appears to back up Mr Gu's version of events.

Perhaps it might not have even happened, I think fear is what ultimately led to the poor sod taking his life, fear wrongly or rightly accredited to Apple.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:12   #129
Sysagent
OCD... OCD... OCD... OCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunteh View Post
Of course in a resource based economy none of this would have happened
Yes and we wouldn't have the lust for iPhone 4's... Which in turn would mean Foxconn wouldn't exist and therefore this incident and subsequent discussion wouldnt be necessary...

;-)
Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:16   #130
qui`
HAI, I am NOT teh Iron Man!
qui` has a reputation beyond reputequi` has a reputation beyond reputequi` has a reputation beyond reputequi` has a reputation beyond reputequi` has a reputation beyond reputequi` has a reputation beyond reputequi` has a reputation beyond reputequi` has a reputation beyond reputequi` has a reputation beyond reputequi` has a reputation beyond reputequi` has a reputation beyond repute
So yeah, I am really looking forward to the phone.

Any news on the uk pricing?
Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:18   #131
Sysagent
OCD... OCD... OCD... OCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by qui` View Post
So yeah, I am really looking forward to the phone.

Any news on the uk pricing?
No but you can sign up for information etc on the o2 website and they are offering to ship Micro SIMS out to you as well prior to the release to make the process more streamlined.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:45   #132
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sysagent View Post
You answered the question yourself

But that's not shit flinging.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 13:47   #133
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Your wrong...
His wrong what?

(Sorry, couldn't resist).
Old 09-Jun-2010, 14:24   #134
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
Tournaments Won: 1
devs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond repute
what a great phone
Old 09-Jun-2010, 16:26   #135
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
Well iPhone OS 4 installed on my 3GS ... just doing a data restore and will see how nice it is.
Send a message via Skype™ to Bilb  jarvthelegend 
Old 09-Jun-2010, 16:34   #136
Jamey
The swagger of a cripple
Jamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond reputeJamey has a reputation beyond repute
Thought OS4 was June 21st? Or are you a Dev?
Old 09-Jun-2010, 16:38   #137
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
devs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond repute
answer this bilbo, why are you on bloody OS 4 well jealous.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 16:38   #138
Sysagent
OCD... OCD... OCD... OCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb View Post
Well iPhone OS 4 installed on my 3GS ... just doing a data restore and will see how nice it is.
!
Old 09-Jun-2010, 16:44   #139
StarMonkey
Gene Pool Attendant
StarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
It's out as a 'gold master' seed for devs now, I don't know if this means it's final or if you'll need another upgrade when it hits the public.

Also, you need the iTunes 9.2 beta to install it.

I'm still staying away right now (even though I've had access to all the betas since it was first announced), 3.1.3 jailbroken is great
Old 09-Jun-2010, 16:50   #140
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
So the conclusion we can draw with respect to 1st world guilt is to just ignore it. That about right?

Not sure I like that. However, I'm sure I will come round when my brain next tells me to buy the new shiny.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 16:58   #141
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey View Post
Thought OS4 was June 21st? Or are you a Dev?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEV^S View Post
answer this bilbo, why are you on bloody OS 4 well jealous.
Quote:
!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarMonkey View Post
It's out as a 'gold master' seed for devs now, I don't know if this means it's final or if you'll need another upgrade when it hits the public.

Also, you need the iTunes 9.2 beta to install it.

I'm still staying away right now (even though I've had access to all the betas since it was first announced), 3.1.3 jailbroken is great
I've got iTunes for mac 9.2, and the IPSW .. simple restore, since it's not locked to UDID.

Threaded mail ... nice.
Unified inbox, fab.
Digital Zoom in camera ... useful, but camera is still crap.
Better location awareness.
Custom wallpaper.

Oh and SM, can JB a 3G with iOS4, but not a 3GS ... yet.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 17:00   #142
StarMonkey
Gene Pool Attendant
StarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeStarMonkey has a reputation beyond repute
3GS is jailbreakable apparently
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/08/i...%28Engadget%29
Old 09-Jun-2010, 17:04   #143
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
So the conclusion we can draw with respect to 1st world guilt is to just ignore it. That about right?

Not sure I like that. However, I'm sure I will come round when my brain next tells me to buy the new shiny.
don't ignore it, set an example and sell all your apple stuff and donate the money to a worthy cause that will do some good
Old 09-Jun-2010, 17:05   #144
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Oooh tempted to JB again ... just for intelliscreen and BiteSMS. But will resist.

Just sussed task switching ... very slick.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 17:33   #145
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
charge your phone tonight, go about your normal daily use tomorrow, and tell us what you think about the battery life.

EDIT: due to your age, can we request that you send 10 times the amount of texts you normally send, and spend an hour on phone
Old 09-Jun-2010, 18:13   #146
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
don't ignore it, set an example and sell all your apple stuff and donate the money to a worthy cause that will do some good
Heh. Well it wouldn't just be apple stuff would it? Would be everything pretty much. Moreover, it wouldn't help for stuff already purchased. But then you already knew that

That aside, just interested how people justify it to themselves. Ignoring the reality is prolly best, and what I will no doubt go back to doing.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 18:22   #147
blurr
fashion victim
blurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond repute
This is interesting if you have a spare 1hr and 30minutes.

http://video.allthingsd.com/video/d8...1-08C300E31E11

Gets grilled about the suicides, the whole "prototype gone missing" story and further clarification of why no flash.
Old 09-Jun-2010, 19:13   #148
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Quote:

Guilt's a personal thing.. don't come crying to us to appease yours... Man up and own your own feelings...
Old 09-Jun-2010, 21:48   #149
M-UK
poster of the month
M-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond repute
O2 have announced their pricing for early upgrade 20 a month of your remining contract..... 240 for me then. Think I will give that a miss! Unless the 3Gs is worth more?
Old 09-Jun-2010, 21:49   #150
M-UK
poster of the month
M-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond reputeM-UK has a reputation beyond repute
linkage

http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/earlyupgradeoffer.html

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Mobile Phones, Tablets & PDAs

Tags
beat me to devtard, devtard, facts who needs them, i want devs babies, iads don't fuck dyslexics, real men buy samsung, world ends if dev breeds