trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > General > Discussion

Old 19-Jan-2011, 20:53   #61
munk
chaet!
munk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond repute
COV, SLE, BLVN, AFR, DPL

Medium / High risk investments (perhaps apart from COV & AFR) but all a good investment if you have some capital you want to put to work that you dont mind risking.

They are also a good bet as they are all energy related and the price is only going one way due to fundamentals.
Old 19-Jan-2011, 21:04   #62
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
Tournaments Won: 1
devs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond repute
all of them which you mentioned seem to have had a massive increase since 2 years ago. looking for a buy low. Why wasnt I looking 2 years ago in the recession bring on a bloody recession lol
Old 20-Jan-2011, 12:44   #63
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartwork View Post
the concept of trading might look daft but if you're smart and you know what you're doing you can make an absolute wankbucket of cash out of it though. after only a few months of working in this industry though, some methods of trading just seem absolutely ridiculous to me, particularly futures trading. that's absolute fucking madness.
I meant premium bonds specifically.. why gamble when you can get an almost guaranteed higher return elsewhere.. I was not saying that I think all trading is daft.
Old 20-Jan-2011, 12:51   #64
Orange
please find me real friends
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Or if you really must insist on gambling invest the money in a govt ISA at 2.5% and use the extra 1% yield to buy lotto tickets.
Old 21-Jan-2011, 01:12   #65
munk
chaet!
munk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond reputemunk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEV^S View Post
all of them which you mentioned seem to have had a massive increase since 2 years ago. looking for a buy low. Why wasnt I looking 2 years ago in the recession bring on a bloody recession lol
its virtually impossible to buy at the 'low' now for recession related stock. Look at virtually any any listed company and there graph will, by and large, mirror the FTSE which has gone up post recession. These companies have room to grow, and grow in multiples of there current share price hence why i mentioned them. they arent without risk. nothing is....

There are undervalued companies out there (CAD for example) but you cant tell that from a graph..

Perhaps I shouldnt have posted, investment advice over the internet is clearly not a good idea.
For a laugh, make a virtual portfolio with these companies and look at it again next year.

Still, maybe better to buy a lottery ticket after all
Old 21-Jan-2011, 01:44   #66
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
devs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond reputedevs has a reputation beyond repute
i have flagged the ones you said to do just that. wanna see how the change. you invested in any of those?
Old 22-Jan-2011, 17:04   #67
munk
chaet!
all except BLVN but i will be in it at some point.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 13:34   #68
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
Just to resurrect this, has anything changed now with inflation on the rise but interest rates still at fuck all? I should be inheriting a little bit soon, and want to invest, but have no idea where. I'm not a huge fan of Premium Bonds, particularly with inflation the way it is, so i guess that leaves an ISA. Would it be best to put it all in a cash ISA for the 2.5% or whatever it is, or put some in a cash ISA and some in a stock ISA, or put the lot in a stock ISA? If stock is the better option, just go for an index tracker, or an active ISA?

edit: I also have a rather hefty student loan which is sat accruing interest. Would i be better off paying off a chunk of that? Also, i guess any income from an ISA would have to be declared to the Student Loan company, but that won't put me anywhere near my threshold for paying it back, so that's not really an issue.

Last edited by Lungboy; 15-Mar-2011 at 13:57.
Lungboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2011, 14:18   #69
stepper
post haste
stepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond reputestepper has a reputation beyond repute
There is no point putting your money in anything that is going to give a return below inflation - which is currently 3.5% (approx) So sticking it into something paying 2.5% means your money is actually going to be 1% worse off as it effectively devalues as goods and services increase.

You are better off putting it into something that is going to provide a higher potential for growth - multi manager portfolios and stocks and shares ISAs will give you this option, and you can choose what level of market exposure you have - ie. UK markets, UK and EU markets, North America, Asia etc. The more more markets you choose the higher the risk due to increased exposure, but a better chance for growth.

Student loans only charge interest at the current base rate, so currently you are charged 0.5% on anything you owe, which is fuck all really. The worst thing you could do is pay off a chunk when it could be in something earning you money!

Hope that helps.
"I'm not getting out of bed until I get fucked!" - Marcus Antonius, 31 BC
Old 15-Mar-2011, 14:37   #70
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, well i'm lazy and have no idea what i'm doing, so would an index tracker ISA be the way to go?
Old 15-Mar-2011, 15:22   #71
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
If you're going to get a stocks and shares ISA then legal and general do some good ones and you can get 50 cashback here:

http://www.quidco.com/insurance-fina...l-investments/
Old 15-Mar-2011, 15:28   #72
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
I'm tempted to go with Barclays, because i already bank with them and i seem to recall hearing that their investment banking is pretty good.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 15:49   #73
Orange
Orange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond reputeOrange has a reputation beyond repute
Without passing any judgement or offering any advice, it's not true to say that sub-inflation returns are necessarily worse than buying an index tracker, it's a case of risk preference and market outlook.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 15:51   #74
Orange
Quote:
The more more markets you choose the higher the risk due to increased exposure, but a better chance for growth.
This isn't true either.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 16:05   #75
Beef~
res ipsa loquitur
Beef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond repute
I guess that is contrary to the concept of portfolio diversification. But realistically from a UK investor's risk perspective - expanding investments to include assets denominated in foreign currencies may introduce (unwanted) volatility not so much from the fundamentals of the stock but from wider macro conditions.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 16:09   #76
Orange
It's pretty difficult to take pure UK GBP denominated exposure - the FTSE's as broad a geographic exposure as you can get.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 16:11   #77
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Am i right in thinking that an index tracker only works well while the market is climbing? If so, is there anything suggesting the markets might take a dive any time soon? Obviously Japan is fucked at the mo, but is that likely to spread outwards?
Old 15-Mar-2011, 16:20   #78
Beef~
res ipsa loquitur
Beef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond reputeBeef~ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
It's pretty difficult to take pure UK GBP denominated exposure - the FTSE's as broad a geographic exposure as you can get.
Yeah but I also expect a lot of those companies will have substantial hedging arrangements in place to mitigate forex volatility. Using the S&P 500 as a comparable - the constituents of that index generate c. 30% of their sales from abroad. In any event it seems to me that the forex risk is mitigated to a certain extent.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 16:25   #79
Orange
I'm not sure they are taking forex hedging on a longer term basis, certainly not based on what I've been following (and nor should they given the investor base). As for the FTSE100, it's about 60% international, and I'd say a decent proportion of the UK piece is either retail or FI.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 16:58   #80
Brocken
Bit lost
Brocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond reputeBrocken has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungboy View Post
I'm tempted to go with Barclays, because i already bank with them and i seem to recall hearing that their investment banking is pretty good.
It doesn't make a difference who you go with in regards to index funds generally. An index invests in one of the share indexes e.g. the FTSE100 or something and all they do is try to keep it balanced. For example if BP is worth 1% of the FTSE 100 they'll invest 1% of the fund into BP. If their share price rises to 1.1% of the fund they'll re-balance the fund by increasing their exposure to this company.

Because there's so little involved in managing index funds the fee is lower than typical managed funds. I think it's generally 0.5% or something as opposed to the several percent of managed funds.

This is how I seem to remember it being when I was looking at them. Orange will point out if I'm horribly wrong

Something like an ISA is a long term investment though so you shouldn't worry too much about investing at the "top of the market" because any short term losses when the market drops are largely cancelled out over the long term. If you're 30 now and open a stocks and shares ISA then you shouldn't really be touching any of that money til you retire (which could be in 30-40 years).
Old 15-Mar-2011, 17:54   #81
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken View Post
It doesn't make a difference who you go with in regards to index funds generally.
Fair enough, but it means i can add money or take money out really easily if it's with the same bank.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 18:18   #82
Brocken
Bit lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungboy View Post
Fair enough, but it means i can add money or take money out really easily if it's with the same bank.
Depositing and withdrawing isn't any more difficult with another bank afaik. Again, though, you shouldn't be withdrawing from an ISA :p
Old 15-Mar-2011, 18:49   #83
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
I have looked into bank accounts abroad. I can get a bank account set up with 15% interest rates. win.
Old 15-Mar-2011, 18:51   #84
[n00b]Zippy
Waterborne Trailer-Trash
[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute[n00b]Zippy has a reputation beyond repute
If you're prepared to take the risk of losing the lot, then off you go!
Send a message via MSN to [n00b]Zippy
Old 15-Mar-2011, 19:52   #85
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
So what do people think about an account like this that pays out after 5 years based on the diffference in RPI between now and 2016? It seems reasonable to assume that prices are going to increase for the forseeable, but will it be enough to beat a standard cash ISA paying 4%?

edit: the last 5 years average 3% a year, making a standard cash ISA better i think.

Last edited by Lungboy; 15-Mar-2011 at 19:55.
Lungboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Mar-2011, 22:23   #86
Randell
my post count gets me dates
Randell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond reputeRandell has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEV^S View Post
I have looked into bank accounts abroad. I can get a bank account set up with 15% interest rates. win.
bangs head on table. what about that lovely email offering to turn 1,000 into a share of an estate worth millions from your long lost now dead uncle in West Africa?
 Randell 
Old 16-Mar-2011, 01:33   #87
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Unrelated ISA question. My mrs has a 2 year old ISA paying fuck all interest. If she opens a new ISA in the coming financial year, can she only put the yearly max in, or can she put in the yearly max AND transfer everything out of the crap ISA as well?
Old 16-Mar-2011, 01:55   #88
Brocken
Bit lost
You can transfer the entire ISA to another bank.

Just go read this:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/
Old 16-Mar-2011, 10:28   #89
Blood God
Destroyer of economies
Blood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond reputeBlood God has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken View Post
You can transfer the entire ISA to another bank.

Just go read this:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/
ISAs need to let you transfer out, but not all of them let you transfer in.
 BlitherJet 
Old 16-Mar-2011, 11:14   #90
devs
Devtard Strikes Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randell View Post
bangs head on table. what about that lovely email offering to turn 1,000 into a share of an estate worth millions from your long lost now dead uncle in West Africa?
loool, im not that stupid

I have family all over the world (prob got every continent covered), and in Middle East, the banks give you that interest.

Go Back   trickery.net > General > Discussion

Tags
devtard