trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Music & Musicians

Old 06-Sep-2012, 18:44   #1
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up The unashamed Prog Rock thread

Inaugural Prog awards in London, many of the usual suspects there, remembering the days when hair was long, and some of the "cigarettes" we smoked were suspiciously large too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19492677

Steve Fainaru: "Big Boy Rules"

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
 Ecch!   away foul box!   You must be kidding! 
Old 06-Sep-2012, 18:45   #2
Harry Palmer
Gun nut
Harry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond repute
Was just going to post this

Reminder: "Do not look into laser with remaining good eye."
 Lupins 
Old 06-Sep-2012, 18:50   #3
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Eja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond reputeEja Cool8 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

"Every man and woman should play the noblest games and be of another mind from what they are at present."

Plato
Old 18-Dec-2012, 16:30   #4
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Still not enough Prog around here

Yes, very wrinkly, doing "Heart of the sunrise";

"Awaken";

King Crimson, just as wrinkly, apart from Tony Levin, here playing some very tasty eighties Bass;

"Sleepless"

"Sartori in Tangier"

A lot less wrinkly; Ozric Tentacles: "Sploosh";

Fuck, let's have the whole of that album, the mix of 'Sploosh' is much better anyway

Plato
Old 23-Apr-2013, 15:24   #5
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Prog Rock cruise around the Carribean?

"The classic sounds of Los Endos by Steve Hackett, formerly of Genesis, and Close to the Edge by Yes pound out from the stage as musicians who made their names selling millions of albums back in the 70s play in front of their adoring fans."

I could go for that

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22098778

Of course, being onboard ship does come with certain pitfalls

"One night the former Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett was woken by the sound of his TV falling off its arm and crashing to the floor. Jokes followed about stars in their 60s now being too old to trash their hotel rooms."

Plato
Old 23-Apr-2017, 09:11   #6
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Thumbs up

I forgot to mention; I went to see a bunch of chaps called Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman up here last month. That, at the time was distinct from Yes, as Steve Howe has a band that he tours with using the name (Alan White, one of the Buggles, plus a couple of session guys). That all changed after Yes were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame the other week. It's one of the cheesier musical honours; basically an excuse for a free scran and a good pissup with fellow musos.

However, a couple of hours later, ARW declared unilaterally that they were Yes, and TBH, there weren't many who disagreed. Rick Wakeman said that this lineup is the finest group of musicians he's ever worked with, playing Yes' music.

That's a pretty hefty statement, coming from Mr Grumpy.

I have a little story from the gig, concerning a bit of personal interaction with Rick, and a trip to the toilet. I will relate that in time...

Plato
Old 23-Apr-2017, 10:34   #7
cunning-stunt
Falling to bits.
cunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond repute
Used to love Rick's Journey to the Center of the Earth, and the Six Wives of Henry the Eighth, but I don't think I could sit through them now.
cunning-stunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Apr-2017, 14:32   #8
Eja Cool8
Enema of the people
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunning-stunt View Post
Used to love Rick's Journey to the Center of the Earth, and the Six Wives of Henry the Eighth, but I don't think I could sit through them now.
I think he'd like to go back to them, for a solo tour, but none of that malarky was on evidence at the Usher Hall; a nice mix of Yes old and new, from their earliest days, through 80s bombast courtesy of stuff from 90125 and Big Generator.....and they played "Awaken", the full version, off Going for the one.

Put it this way, I got miffed when the lights finally went up at the end of the show, as I thought they'd only played about 90mins, I checked my watch though: almost 2 and 1/2 hours had passed, time (and a word? ) had just flown by.....

Make no mistake; these three guys, plus their excellent drummer and bass player, ARE Yes. They're playing on top form, and the sheer joy that they're all feeling just floods off that stage, most of it channelled through that tiny Lancashire man, Jon Anderson. He is one of Rock's greatest front men, and he puts a big grin on people's faces.

Plato
Old 23-Apr-2017, 16:08   #9
cunning-stunt
Falling to bits.
cunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond reputecunning-stunt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eja Cool8 View Post
I think he'd like to go back to them, for a solo tour, but none of that malarky was on evidence at the Usher Hall; a nice mix of Yes old and new, from their earliest days, through 80s bombast courtesy of stuff from 90125 and Big Generator.....and they played "Awaken", the full version, off Going for the one.

Put it this way, I got miffed when the lights finally went up at the end of the show, as I thought they'd only played about 90mins, I checked my watch though: almost 2 and 1/2 hours had passed, time (and a word? ) had just flown by.....

Make no mistake; these three guys, plus their excellent drummer and bass player, ARE Yes. They're playing on top form, and the sheer joy that they're all feeling just floods off that stage, most of it channelled through that tiny Lancashire man, Jon Anderson. He is one of Rock's greatest front men, and he puts a big grin on people's faces.

Think I only ever bought two yes albums, one was Going for the One, but I was into a lot of punk by then. The other was Close to the Edge. Think I've mentioned on here before, Iv'e still got the Story of I by Patrick Moraz, who replaced Rick in Yes. Bought it after seeing him on The Old Grey Whistle Test.
cunning-stunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   trickery.net > Other > Music & Musicians