trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Website Development

Old 11-Oct-2018, 21:01   #1
BFH
Fixer of dead hard drives
BFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond repute
Stock Market Mechanics

Who are our resident expert(s) on this...?
Old 11-Oct-2018, 21:07   #2
Fulmineus
karma killer
Fulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond reputeFulmineus has a reputation beyond repute
Bungled Financials, Help!

Say NO! to capital t Sponsored by AQA
Old 11-Oct-2018, 21:38   #3
BFH
BFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond repute
Heh.

Actually it's not what you might be thinking
Old 12-Oct-2018, 01:27   #4
EvilGrin
my other forum is full
EvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond reputeEvilGrin has a reputation beyond repute
Can you expand on the question? I need a hint as to what you want answered here.
Old 12-Oct-2018, 09:26   #5
BFH
Hmmm....

Anyone remember CelebDAQ....

I think i've got a handle on the basic mechanics but might be an idea to sound off about how the market is calculated (or shall I say will be as it still needs work). I've got the basic news feeds running and the site scanning articles etc. But I need to work on exactly how the market price is affected by matched entries and sales/purchases of the stock. The engine that's running at the moment is doing some basic processing and also working out if articles are favourable or not and it seems to be functioning ok. But I need to build in a more "realistic" effect on the share price.

At the moment it simply awards value for appearing and then applies modifiers if the news is favourable or deducts if not. In truth though it should also factor in presumably the number of shares that have been bought/sold as well in order to get a proper "demand" indicator for it in order to give a value it can then increase or decrease the price by.

This is separate of course to users buying and selling which, based on numbers of sales, will give me the demand - but I need to decide over what time period. Given the nature of the "stock" its perfectly possible that there could be "bursts" of activity and then nothing for some time. So what happens to stock that hasn't traded in a long time - is a time limit set and once exceeded the stock starts to drop in value (which makes sense to me). And what should that value be.. and if the stock suddenly features again, is the time limit reset.. (and so, does the rise the stock get if it's been dormant for a while and declining be larger than if it had featured fairly regularly)... decisions...

I've toy'd with the idea of rather than there being an infinite stock amount - actually allocating a default amount so I can put together some form of supply/demand calculation into the process. It would of course require a separate function to monitor the demand of stocks and to increase the shares available based on this.

I've also thought about the idea that you could offer to buy the stock at a higher price than it's currently trading at - which in effect then lifts its price to that amount. This of course does create the scenario where users with huge wads of cash could price people out of the market by over inflating the price of something... So i'm not sure exactly if this is a good thing or not. The crazy element is that the price of the stocks are pretty much decided on what people are prepared to pay for them so if someone is prepared to pay double the list price, should they be stopped? I've a feeling there is some "way" I can implement something like this but I think it needs a little planning.

There's loads to build in and the theme I'm using is starting to prove itself to be a little annoying (tbk's logo looks cool but the fecking theme is messing me around with getting the placement right). Its based on BS4 and I might actually bin it off and create a clean BS4 site from scratch and then waste my life away trying to tweak the colour scheme... dunno yet

Any advice appreciated

Last edited by BFH; 12-Oct-2018 at 10:10.

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Website Development