trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 13-Sep-2010, 11:22   #1
~Rebel~UK~
pro poster
~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of
Power off now not posting

Wonder if you guys can help, tonight I was playing bfbc2 when all of a sudden the comp flicked off then straight back on again but didn't post and no signal to the monitor, so I opened the case and the graphics card fan was not spinning but all other fans were fine, so I tried a spare graphics card I had handy (7900gto) and that powered up fine fans spinnig but still no post are signal to the monitor I took my graphics card to a mates he put it in his comp and ut worked fine fans spinning a booting into windows, is it possible my motherboard is broke r something else stopping it from working?

My spec is bfg gtx260, ocz 700watt psu, asrock. P45de motherboard, doing this on my iPod so sorry for and mistakes... Thanks
2TB Samsung Spinpoint HD
1000watt Corsair PSU
Asus Ramapage Formula Motherboard
Send a message via MSN to ~Rebel~UK~  Sanddancer82   Mario Kart 1891-1509-1540 
Old 13-Sep-2010, 11:27   #2
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
if you can't boot to the onboard gfx with other cards out then it's likely the mobo. Any beep codes?
Old 13-Sep-2010, 12:07   #3
~Rebel~UK~
pro poster
~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of~Rebel~UK~ has much to be proud of
I don't gave inboard graphics, but no no beep codes either.
2TB Samsung Spinpoint HD
1000watt Corsair PSU
Old 13-Sep-2010, 14:53   #4
Solex
To the pub!
Solex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond repute
I'd dismantle the entire thing and vac it out. Sounds like you've got some kind of a short somewhere and it could literally be anywhere. As nersh said above it's probably your Mobo (and it is an asrock afterall) but don't rule out the PSU at this stage.

If you do use a vac, be sure to be careful and make sure you don't physically touch anything with it earth yourself. You don't want to cause any static build-ups. Plastic ends FTW!
 THE SOLEX 
Old 13-Sep-2010, 16:15   #5
~Rebel~UK~
pro poster
Yeah I might try that, but it is still wired how it went off in the middle of a game, my mate is going to bring his psu to mine the night to try that see if it works with his in, if not I think it could be the pci-e slot I think.
2TB Samsung Spinpoint HD
1000watt Corsair PSU
Old 13-Sep-2010, 16:20   #6
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
poss driver not spinning it up to superspinny mode for when doing 3d graphics? happened a few times with nvidia cards over the last year or so. temporary over heat and then fine once cool again
Old 13-Sep-2010, 16:38   #7
Mr_Skiff
Under The Thumb
Mr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond repute
Can you try another GFX slot to see if that works with the old spare card? It sounds like something went "fut" on the mobo.

EDIT - Scratch that, just looked at your board and it only has 1 PCIe slot
Old 16-Sep-2010, 09:26   #8
~Rebel~UK~
pro poster
Bit of a update, took my comp round to a mates last night and he tried his CPU in my motherboard and guess what still the same no post, but when he but his comp back together his comp was failing to post just like mine so I was a bit worried my comp somehow broke his, but luckily after a bit his did post, but I'm still no further forward
2TB Samsung Spinpoint HD
1000watt Corsair PSU
Old 16-Sep-2010, 10:44   #9
Solex
To the pub!
Solex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond repute
New mobo then it sounds like.
 THE SOLEX 
Old 16-Sep-2010, 11:14   #10
Useless
forum hax
Useless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Rebel~UK~ View Post
Yeah I might try that, but it is still wired how it went off in the middle of a game, my mate is going to bring his psu to mine the night to try that see if it works with his in, if not I think it could be the pci-e slot I think.
Did you try another psu? If thats knackered then it won't post.
Old 16-Sep-2010, 11:31   #11
Nomad
i fear no midget
Nomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond reputeNomad has a reputation beyond repute
if you speak to skiff nicely there may be a pc going spare at his company that could go walkies...
Old 16-Sep-2010, 17:42   #12
~Rebel~UK~
pro poster
Just bought a new motherboard and the motherfucker is still the same so it must be the CPU... Pissed off now.
2TB Samsung Spinpoint HD
1000watt Corsair PSU
Old 16-Sep-2010, 17:45   #13
Solex
To the pub!
So, you've tested, the cpu, the motherboard, the PSU and the graphics and it's still broke? You have got the 4-pin CPU connector plugged in to the motherboard havent you? My mate forgets that every time and gets into a panic.
 THE SOLEX 
Old 16-Sep-2010, 18:15   #14
~Rebel~UK~
pro poster
I'm going to try my mates CPU in this new board again the night and see what happens. Haven't tried another psu, the whole comp gets power just no post r display.
2TB Samsung Spinpoint HD
1000watt Corsair PSU
Old 16-Sep-2010, 19:28   #15
Useless
forum hax
Useless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond reputeUseless has a reputation beyond repute
I've had a couple of computers have very similar problems and it turned out to be the psu.
One psu I had wouldn't start my computer but all the fans worked. I put it in my sons computer and it worked fine in his for another year before I has to replace it, but it would not work in mine at all. Bought a new one and works fine.

Best thing is to test it just in case, and It's also easier.
Old 16-Sep-2010, 20:25   #16
~Rebel~UK~
pro poster
Thanks that sounds very interesting, that's all that happens on mine is the fans spin and that's it I'm going to try that tomorrow I'm sick of it at the minute
2TB Samsung Spinpoint HD
1000watt Corsair PSU
Old 16-Sep-2010, 22:44   #17
naib
forum hax
naib has a reputation beyond reputenaib has a reputation beyond reputenaib has a reputation beyond reputenaib has a reputation beyond reputenaib has a reputation beyond reputenaib has a reputation beyond reputenaib has a reputation beyond reputenaib has a reputation beyond reputenaib has a reputation beyond reputenaib has a reputation beyond reputenaib has a reputation beyond repute
Worth resetting the BIOS in case the settings have got messed up.
Old 17-Sep-2010, 20:18   #18
~Rebel~UK~
pro poster
Well turns out it was the PSU so you were right Useless cheers :-), tried my brothers PSU and it posted straight away, so i took the motherboard back (had to pay a restocking fee 25% robbing bastards!!) and now i have a coolermaster 650 watt which is bloody LOUD! Anyone know how to RMA the OCZ back the them?
2TB Samsung Spinpoint HD
1000watt Corsair PSU
Old 17-Sep-2010, 20:42   #19
Nomad
i fear no midget
yes, start with a google

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Tags
sounds like a dns problem