trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Old 12-Apr-2012, 11:35   #1
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
Web Hosting and DNS

Chaps,

A friend of mine has recently set-up her own business. I talked her through registering a domain name.

She wanted email, so I configured GoogleApps email for her.

She then got into contact with a company whom could provide her with a website. They offered hosting services for the website.

She talked to me about it and whilst I said "Hosting will be cheaper with the likes of 34sp.com, you might find that the web design company will do a better job with their own hosting. In terms of quicker to publish etc."

Fast forward a few weeks, and the web design company are now asking for her to change her nameservers on her domain name to their own ones, so that they can control her entire DNS.

I suggested against this, as not only would they have control over her website, they would also be able to change the settings for her email (google apps). In fact they would have to re-configure all of the DNS settings for google apps again.

I guess there is part of me that doesn't like handing over entire control to 3rd parties. Fair enough they can do the website, but I don't like the idea of handing over full control of a domain. Especially if/when it goes sour they can do all sorts of sneaky tricks.

So, I'm at the point of mailing the company to say "Oi, what DNS settings do you want me to implement, so that I can point her domain at your servers". However I suspect that they host multiple websites on one box.

Question. If they are hosting multiple websites on one box with one IP Address, then is there anything they can do to allow her to utilise her own DNS servers, and point at the website??

If not, then I guess the other option is that she goes with her own hosting and just gives access to the 3rd party to upload stuff!

Anything else she may need to consider?

Ta
Old 12-Apr-2012, 11:41   #2
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Just implement DNS yourself if you're worried. most web design companies do this by default because their customers haven't got a clue.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 11:50   #3
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Bilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond reputeBilb has a reputation beyond repute
That's what I was asking.

"If they host multiple websites on one box, then can they tell me what DNS settings they want configuring. So that I can keep control of DNS and they can just host?"
Old 12-Apr-2012, 12:09   #4
Norphy
bandwidth bill in the post
Norphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond reputeNorphy has a reputation beyond repute
Surely all you'd need to do is set up an A record or possibly a CNAME to point to the IP address where the site is hosted? After that, it's down to the configuration of the web server, the host would need to set up host headers properly.

I think you're quite entitled to tell them to jog on if they're demanding full control of that domain.
Send a message via ICQ to Norphy Send a message via MSN to Norphy
Old 12-Apr-2012, 12:31   #5
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Cheers Norphy ... that's the bit I was after ...

"I'll config an A name or CNAME as appropriate to the IP address you tell me. It's down to you to sort out the web server and host headers".
Old 12-Apr-2012, 12:53   #6
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't hand over control of the domain name registration or dns to any third party personally, any dispute over the quality of the work they do and they have you held to ransom!
Old 12-Apr-2012, 13:02   #7
BFH
Fixer of dead hard drives
BFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond reputeBFH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by burundi View Post
I wouldn't hand over control of the domain name registration or dns to any third party personally, any dispute over the quality of the work they do and they have you held to ransom!
yeah agreed - you may as well bend over and offer up your ass if you do this.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 13:13   #8
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Exactly... That's what I was getting at.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 13:29   #9
Inertiaman
Inertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond reputeInertiaman has a reputation beyond repute
Not really the end of the world handing over nameservers if you're the registrar.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 13:30   #10
burundi
WARNING: May contain nuts
burundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond reputeburundi has a reputation beyond repute
It happened to a friend of mine, it took about two years for him to get his domain name back, I think the web company let the registration lapse in the end and he just registered it himself again.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 13:42   #11
Solex
You're the Victim
Solex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond reputeSolex has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
Surely all you'd need to do is set up an A record or possibly a CNAME to point to the IP address where the site is hosted? After that, it's down to the configuration of the web server, the host would need to set up host headers properly.

I think you're quite entitled to tell them to jog on if they're demanding full control of that domain.
This.

Which 3rd party is it if you don't mind me asking?
 THE SOLEX 
Old 12-Apr-2012, 14:11   #12
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertiaman View Post
Not really the end of the world handing over nameservers if you're the registrar.
I guess if you're the registrar, it's not so scary, as you can just go back into the registrar control panel and change back to their nameservers.

I just don't want someone fiddling with the email DNS settings again.
Old 12-Apr-2012, 14:12   #13
Bilb
Amazeballs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solex View Post
This.

Which 3rd party is it if you don't mind me asking?
I'd rather not mention it, I think it's a small one man band (maybe two) ... so any google search would yield this post thread!

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Internet Connection & Networking

Tags
sounds like a dns problem

Users Viewing Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)