trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Forumless Games

Old 03-Oct-2011, 12:48   #1
popej
topicophiliac
popej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond repute
Dark Souls

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...k-souls-review

Sounds like my sort of game. Hard as nails and no hand holding.

Anyone else buying it?
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... [contemptuous laugh] Titans on fire off the shoulder of YZ-LQL. I watched tachyons (tech 2) glitter in the dark near the NOL-M9 Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. Time... to die..."
 gobrun 
Old 05-Oct-2011, 01:12   #2
Spookie
Time to Tango
Spookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond repute
Simply games had it for 30, simply couldn't say no to a PS3 copy.
Old 12-Oct-2011, 22:24   #3
popej
topicophiliac
popej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond reputepopej has a reputation beyond repute
It's freakin rock'ard! Good though, has a 'keep you coming back for more' way about it.
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... [contemptuous laugh] Titans on fire off the shoulder of YZ-LQL. I watched tachyons (tech 2) glitter in the dark near the NOL-M9 Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like [small cough] tears... in... rain. Time... to die..."
 gobrun 
Old 12-Oct-2011, 23:48   #4
Stuie
postaholic
Stuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond repute
i've got it on the 360, 7 hours to get to my second checkpoint... lol
 stus house 
Old 13-Oct-2011, 00:21   #5
Spookie
Time to Tango
Spookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond reputeSpookie has a reputation beyond repute
FUCK THIS GAME IN THE FACE WITH A BROKEN BOTTLE.
Old 16-Oct-2011, 16:01   #6
Stuie
postaholic
Stuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond reputeStuie has a reputation beyond repute
Really loving this game when you get somewhere new it really feels worth while.

where have you guys got to so far? I've just got to the depths.
 stus house 
Old 16-Oct-2011, 16:15   #7
popej
topicophiliac
Not rushing it so I still haven't got past the samurai looking bloke with the enormous club-thing at the bottom of that spiral staircase. Those golden knights are rock hard too, especially the great sword variety....

In fact, everything is rock hard!
 gobrun 
Old 16-Oct-2011, 16:34   #8
Stuie
postaholic
i'm not rushing it either, i'm not far from you popej, did you manage to beat the hydra? near that staircase, i've left it to go back later
 stus house 
Old 16-Oct-2011, 17:51   #9
popej
topicophiliac
Is that the thing by the blacksmith? If so no, it looked far too hard!

Not sure where to go now, I know I need to ring 2 bell things but I haven't found one yet. One is through the skeleton graveyard but I was concentrating on the Undead Burg first.
 gobrun 
Old 16-Oct-2011, 18:42   #10
Stuie
postaholic
yeah, just keep exploring if something seems impossible to get past it's probably best to leave it i had to leave the hydra because it seemed ridiculous.
 stus house 
Old 17-Oct-2011, 16:41   #11
popej
topicophiliac
Aye, love the fact that you simply have no chance against certain baddies. That's the way games should be in my opinion.

Killed the bell tower gargoyles last night after 3 or 4 deaths.

You know when you summon a knight to help you prior to boss fights? Is the summon a real person who is sat in a lobby waiting for someone to 'invite' them into their single player game? Cool if so.
 gobrun 
Old 18-Oct-2011, 00:02   #12
Stuie
postaholic
if you're alive sometimes you can summon that 'praise the light' guy, but otherwise it's someone else who's left their summon sign on the ground somewhere. you can continue fighting after leaving it within a certain area.

I had someone try to invade me yesterday while i was holding 4 humanity and 5k souls, i nearly shit a brick. he didn't land a single hit on me and he dropped 7k souls for me =D
 stus house 
Old 18-Oct-2011, 12:09   #13
popej
topicophiliac
Blimey! Does the invading person appear next to you immediately or do they have to find you first?

I don't have Xbox Live Gold, I take it I can still be invaded but can't return the favour?
 gobrun 
Old 18-Oct-2011, 19:25   #14
Stuie
postaholic
i'd assume you'd need gold to be invaded. They appeared in my view, and that was that had to fight
 stus house 
Old 18-Oct-2011, 21:40   #15
popej
topicophiliac
Just got invaded while in the sewers. Some guy with a spiked straight sword and spiked shield. Was an easy fight tbh, think he might have been lagging. Got just under 6000 souls, only 1 humanity and his sword and shield. I don't have Xbox Gold so you can get invaded even without it.
 gobrun 
Old 22-Oct-2011, 10:03   #16
popej
topicophiliac
Where you up to Stuie? I've just killed Queelag and I'm about to do the hollow.
 gobrun 
Old 22-Oct-2011, 10:40   #17
Stuie
postaholic
ah i got to blight town but tried to go the wrong way in there through the valley of the drakes. I've got two weeks holiday though now so i'm going to be getting really stuck in
 stus house 
Old 02-Nov-2011, 13:46   #18
popej
topicophiliac
Sounds like there's some pretty heavy changes in patch 1.04. It's out in Japan now I believe but not for the rest of the world. It's also unclear if it'll effect the Xbox version immediately

Patch notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoGaf
http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/

- Some magic effects have been revised. (Magic Shield, Greater Magic Shield, Tranquil Walk of Peace, Ring of Fog, Iron Flesh)

- Elemental enhanced and Stat enhanced weapons have been rebalanced.

- Some slight adjustments have been made to other weapons, equipment, and magic. (Pyromancer's Flame's magic adjustment)

- Matching and multiplayer conditions have been adjusted.

- Defeating a boss in multiplayer will now reward the host with the full amount of souls from the boss.

- When failing to invade a player's world using the Cracked Red Eye Orb, the item will no longer be used up.

- Adjustments to the amount of suols dropped by enemies.

- Adjustments to the item drops from enemies.

- Some bosses will drop Humanity and Homeward Bones now.

- Increased Drop rates for certain Covenant items and Equipment Enhancement materials which had extremely low drop rates.

- Adjusted the Item Discovery increase rate which scales with Humanity levels.

- Item lists in shops have been adjusted. (Bottomless Box added to Male Undead Merchant. Bunch of arrows added to Female Undead Merchant, Andrei, Domnhall, Giant Blacksmith, and Vamos. Domnhall will sell the Master Key after he moves to the Firelink Shrine. Giant and Vamos both sell the various equipment boxes. Giant sells a bunch of shards now. Vamos sells Titanite Shards. Ingward sells Transient Curse.)

- The amount of Faith required to join the Sunlight Covenant is now 25 instead of 50. The formula for reducing it with multiplayer remains the same.

- Paying for your sins is now cheaper. The formula is Level x 500 souls, instead of Level x 2000 souls previously.

- Equipment Weight adjustments.

- Lock-on behavior has been adjusted.

- Fixed certain cases of game freezing.

- Changed the way souls are displayed in the Level Up Menu.

- Fixed the exploit with infinite weapon/magic usage.

- Fixed the 1 second delay during certain attack animations.

- Fixed the bug where Solaire isn't in New Game+.

- Fixed the shard bug with Frampt which took away all your shards if you had more than 99.

- Fixed getting stuck in certain parts of the map, being unable to progress.

- Fixed various English translation errors in the overseas version of the game.
 gobrun 
Old 02-Nov-2011, 14:01   #19
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
I liked their copy protection. They didn't put any DRM or anything, but if the game 'knew' it had been copied, they spawned a treble hard bastard that you would have simply have no chance beating...although that sounds indistinguishable from normal.

Have been tempted by the game, but looks as though I couldn't devote the time required.
Old 02-Nov-2011, 14:07   #20
popej
topicophiliac
Get it, make time.
 gobrun 
Old 02-Nov-2011, 14:24   #21
Scrobbs
Sunnyvale Supervisor
Scrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond reputeScrobbs has a reputation beyond repute
Battlefield....HO!
Old 23-Nov-2011, 18:29   #22
popej
topicophiliac
Patch 1.05 is out. Some major changes involved, primarily that they've doubled the number of souls you get in almost all cases.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...released-notes
 gobrun 
Old 01-Dec-2011, 13:03   #23
popej
topicophiliac
Well that's put a downer on things!

The game spends most of it's time killing me and now it's killed my Xbox! Well not really, it overheated for the first time in a little over 3 years last night. Getting red lights on quadrant 1 & 3 on my console which apparently means it's overheating.

Left it for the night so it could cool down, turned the power supply off at the mains too. turned it on this morning before work to see if it'd work and it's shut itself off after approx 5 mins. I didn't even start a game, I was only on the dashboard so no intense graphical/cpu processing required. I'm guessing it's had it.

62 to repair it in the UK (it's out of warranty) so I'll just buy a new one. there's a nice offer on amazon atm. I just hope I can turn my old Xbox on for long enough to transfer my savegames to a zip drive otherwise I've lost 3 nice characters. I would just plug my old Xbox HDD into the new one but I understand the new matte black versions have inbuilt HDD's?
 gobrun 
Old 31-Aug-2012, 08:11   #24
popej
topicophiliac
Did anyone get the PC version? With the exception of GTA IV it's the first time I've ever bought the same game on two platforms at launch price. I don't regret it for a second.

Haven't played any of the new bits yet but looking forward to it. Best game since HL2!
 gobrun 

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Forumless Games