Hi I have recently purchased a new system
3.0Ghz P4 800FSB LGA775
1024DDR
Geforce 6800GT
Asus P5GDC Deluxe
Audigy 2 ZS

Microsoft wireless desktop 2.0
Saitek X36F + Saitek p2500 rumble pad

The problem is it makes a hell of a lot of noise when playing games like NBA live 2005 and half life 2, Chronicles of Riddick etc. Im not sure weather the fan on the Processeor is autosensing and throttling up when its being pushed. Or maybe the PSU fan is the culprit, the processor is a full boxed product and Im using the actual intel fan that came with it. Wondering if theres a setting somewhere to allow me to control the fan speeds manually? Any Ideas
Old 26-Jan-2005, 10:07   #2
DoggyX
troll
DoggyX has a spectacular aura aboutDoggyX has a spectacular aura about
Few details you've missed off mate, what case have you got - make, steel/alu. Also what case fans - make and average rpm. And make of psu would help

Stock cpu fans are usually noisey so that could be replaced with a better one (not a P4 guy so best bet is too look around on overclockers.). All I can say about the GT is my mates is as quiet as anything with stock cooler, what model have you got?
Send a message via MSN to DoggyX
Old 26-Jan-2005, 13:06   #3
Armyof1BA
flame fodder
Armyof1BA will become famous soon enough
Im not sure what the case make is. However Ive used this case with my old system and there was no problem with noise. The new factors are Geforce 6800GT X FX 256mB. P4 Processor , and a 480W PSU from scan +3.3v = 28A. +5v = 35A +12v = 25A, -5v = 0.5A, -12v = 0.8A, +5vsb = 2.5A. Colormax.
Old 26-Jan-2005, 22:45   #4
Miserygut
forum hax
Miserygut is just really niceMiserygut is just really niceMiserygut is just really niceMiserygut is just really niceMiserygut is just really nice
Erm... that PSU can't be doing that amount (The total output you quoted is 567.4w of leccy, add say 70% or 80% efficiency, it would be sucking up at least 750w of power.)

Anyway...

Graphics card or CPU most likely.

Graphics card I would replace with an Arctic Cooler or Zalman Heatpipe jobbie.
CPU I would replace with hmm... Arctic Cooler Freezer 64, but obviously shop around for what fits price / performance / noise best.
Old 26-Jan-2005, 23:37   #5
jimbobaggies
BOING BOING!
jimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond repute
It's not your CD/DVD drive is it
Old 27-Jan-2005, 23:43   #6
Matt
if thread.newpost then postreply();
Matt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond repute
Finger -> cpu fan.

If the noise stops, then its the cpu fan.

Contine with all other fans until you find the culprit. Only stop the fan for a second or two...if theya re high speed it might be worth slowing them down first by touching the hub before stopping them as they can bite pretty bad sometimes.
Old 28-Jan-2005, 09:26   #7
Armyof1BA
flame fodder
Armyof1BA will become famous soon enough
Ok Ill try that, yes those are the specs from scan.
Old 28-Jan-2005, 13:38   #8
Blunteh
Return of the Colander
Blunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond reputeBlunteh has a reputation beyond repute
bet it's the GT fan... I noticed my 6600GT fan changes speed alot when pushed

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware