trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware

Old 17-Apr-2006, 16:10   #1
Armyof1BA
flame fodder
Armyof1BA will become famous soon enough
Weird Buzzing

Hi Guys,

My computer has recently developed a strange problem. When playing any graphic intensive games, the pc starts making a weird buzzing sound and eventually restarts my computer. Im not sure wether this relates to my PSU as its a 480W no name POS but I also heard It could be a burst capicitor on the motherboard. It may even relate to the graphics card I really don't know. Any ideas guys?

P4 3ghz
1024MB RAM
Asus P5DGC deluxe M/B
XFX 6800GT
Old 17-Apr-2006, 17:18   #2
jimbobaggies
BOING BOING!
jimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond repute
My first thoughts when I started reading this were PSU, why people go out and but cheapy pos PSUs when they spend hundreds on systems is beyond me.

Also, worth taking the side off of the case and listening to try and identify the source of the buzzing! Hopefully it isn't a cap, just incase it pops and leaves the metal can imbedded in your ear
Old 17-Apr-2006, 17:41   #3
Armyof1BA
flame fodder
Cool I'll try it
Old 17-Apr-2006, 18:35   #4
Draccy
forum hax
Draccy has a reputation beyond reputeDraccy has a reputation beyond reputeDraccy has a reputation beyond reputeDraccy has a reputation beyond reputeDraccy has a reputation beyond reputeDraccy has a reputation beyond reputeDraccy has a reputation beyond reputeDraccy has a reputation beyond reputeDraccy has a reputation beyond reputeDraccy has a reputation beyond reputeDraccy has a reputation beyond repute
might there be a fly in your case?
Old 17-Apr-2006, 18:37   #5
T-Bag
please find me real friends
Tournaments Won: 1
T-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bag has a reputation beyond repute
You say it happens under load which makes me think that one of your fans. When under load fans will often start spinning faster so one could be faulty. It could be the PSU or even the gfx card fan but you should be able to tell if it is coming from the PSU without taking anything apart.

My PSU fan was doing something similar. I had pant filling fun taking that apart to replace the fan ! I had to cut the wires inside the PSU and reconnect them (using celotape typical T-Bag style) It is still working fine, although in my stupidity I replaced it with an old fan which also makes a clicking noise

Last edited by T-Bag; 17-Apr-2006 at 18:41.
Send a message via MSN to T-Bag  Bag-T   BagT 
Old 17-Apr-2006, 22:14   #6
WestHej
thread or dead
WestHej has much to be proud ofWestHej has much to be proud ofWestHej has much to be proud ofWestHej has much to be proud ofWestHej has much to be proud ofWestHej has much to be proud ofWestHej has much to be proud ofWestHej has much to be proud ofWestHej has much to be proud ofWestHej has much to be proud of
a restart would only be caused if your comp gets too hot, which would be caused from a fan failure, but if it did i didn't think a fan would be back in action again...ever

Its usually the gfx or cpu that gets too hot in cases like these anyway, wot is your gpu and cpu? stock cooling? how long have you had it for?

if not then its probably wot jimbo said.
Old 17-Apr-2006, 22:22   #7
Wizza
totally topical
Wizza has a reputation beyond reputeWizza has a reputation beyond reputeWizza has a reputation beyond reputeWizza has a reputation beyond reputeWizza has a reputation beyond reputeWizza has a reputation beyond reputeWizza has a reputation beyond reputeWizza has a reputation beyond reputeWizza has a reputation beyond reputeWizza has a reputation beyond reputeWizza has a reputation beyond repute
that happend to me and it turned out to be my nForce4 chipset fan had died and burned under the heat and also my GFX card heatsink was full of dust.

I just cleaned shitloads of dust out again today.
'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished'

and those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust

Hallowed are the Ori
Old 18-Apr-2006, 10:50   #8
Armyof1BA
flame fodder
Hi Guys, Im gonna give it a good clean out and see how I get on. While Im at it gonna order a new PSU any way cos the one I have is shite. Any recomendations on PSUs. Incidentally I have an Akasa cooling Fan (great big hulking thing with fan control) on the CPU, which keeps the system around 53oC under load and a stock fan on the GPU.
Old 18-Apr-2006, 13:17   #9
Bleh
posts for a living
Bleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond repute
I had a buzzing sound which was intermittent. Turned out it was the northbridge fan. Spose it could be ya GFX card fan or CPU fan also. May be that as the machine gets hotter it speeds up, and the bearings are fooked?

As for PSU, i purchased a Tagan XEye and its been great . They also have those new ones with connectors which look like the old coax connectors. Not sure if theyre any good, but it means you can plug in as many leads as you need and no more, so you dont get the mass of wiring hidden under ya CD/DVD
Old 19-Apr-2006, 20:58   #10
Ciber
poster of the month
Ciber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyof1BA
Incidentally I have an Akasa cooling Fan
I think that may be your problem right there. I had an an akasa fan in my old case and after not very long it started making a horrid buzzing sound. Try replacing it.
Old 19-Apr-2006, 21:01   #11
blurr
fashion victim
blurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond reputeblurr has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksnake
I had a buzzing sound which was intermittent. Turned out it was the northbridge fan. Spose it could be ya GFX card fan or CPU fan also. May be that as the machine gets hotter it speeds up, and the bearings are fooked?

As for PSU, i purchased a Tagan XEye and its been great . They also have those new ones with connectors which look like the old coax connectors. Not sure if theyre any good, but it means you can plug in as many leads as you need and no more, so you dont get the mass of wiring hidden under ya CD/DVD
Any other manufacturers offer that?
Old 19-Apr-2006, 21:03   #12
GunZenBomZ
off topic
GunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond reputeGunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond reputeGunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond reputeGunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond reputeGunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond reputeGunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond reputeGunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond reputeGunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond reputeGunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond reputeGunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond reputeGunZenBomZ has a reputation beyond repute
my computer has a arse of a problem, when ever i boot-up. it does this

//////////////////////////////////////

anyone got any idea? done spybot check & ad-ware scans
Old 19-Apr-2006, 21:54   #13
Armyof1BA
flame fodder
Right, cleaned my PC out removed dust and other crap, vacced it out and reseated everything. Ran Call of Duty 2 after 10mins started making the weird buzzing sound again. Really getting on my god damn nerves now.
Old 19-Apr-2006, 21:55   #14
jimbobaggies
BOING BOING!
jimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond reputejimbobaggies has a reputation beyond repute
Have you actually tried to listen for what it is with the side of the case off yet?
Old 19-Apr-2006, 22:09   #15
Intron
off topic
Intron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond reputeIntron has a reputation beyond repute
I had my replacement PSU do this it was a thermaltake one 600W and it just developed a odd buzz noise in it. returned it and turns out there was a shed load of them sent out that were faulty.

Identifie the location of the buzzing.

make sure all fans are spinning freely.

I would not recomend it but you could also put hand on the edge of a head sink or board edge to feel for odd vibration to help But be bloody carefull it is a live PC.

Make sure also no little wires or anything are getting sucked in or pulled towards a fan. Does happen in some cases.
Send a message via MSN to Intron  IntronDepot   Intron 
Old 19-Apr-2006, 22:21   #16
Ciber
poster of the month
Ciber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond reputeCiber has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurr
Any other manufacturers offer that?
Hiper type r is modular as well.
Old 19-Apr-2006, 23:53   #17
Bleh
posts for a living
Bleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond reputeBleh has a reputation beyond repute
mine isnt modular, just a simple psu.

Hyper Type is the modular one i was on about. Comes in a box which makes it look like a car battery
Old 20-Apr-2006, 00:55   #18
Swank
double post spacker
Swank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond repute
dust has always been my noise problem.. over a month or 2 my pc sucks in lots of the stuff and a good blowout is essential.

if it's not a fan buzz noise then i could be the PSU straining under labourious conditions.

just ordered parts for a new pc and my new PSU is modular hopeing this will help air flow as i can add just the right amount of cables and route them round the sides etc.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hiper.html << getting a blue one

http://www.chickipedia.com/
Send a message via ICQ to Swank Send a message via AIM to Swank
Old 20-Apr-2006, 02:45   #19
Bleh
posts for a living
, another good thing to have in your cupboard is a tin of compressed air. Use it for blowin dust out of things that you would otherwise have to dismantle
Old 21-Apr-2006, 23:56   #20
Armyof1BA
flame fodder
Ok, ended up buying a Jeantech Artic 600W PSU very good reviews and it has 12V sustained under load which is great. Problem seems to have gone. Thanks for everyones help on this appreciate it

Old 22-Apr-2006, 00:04   #21
Bleh
posts for a living
the buzzing gone then dude?

the reason i bought my XEye is that my old psu went on the blink with buzzing
Old 22-Apr-2006, 00:26   #22
Kenny
topicophiliac
Kenny has a reputation beyond reputeKenny has a reputation beyond reputeKenny has a reputation beyond reputeKenny has a reputation beyond reputeKenny has a reputation beyond reputeKenny has a reputation beyond reputeKenny has a reputation beyond reputeKenny has a reputation beyond reputeKenny has a reputation beyond reputeKenny has a reputation beyond reputeKenny has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah he took the side of his case off and let a Bee out LOL .

Soz couldn`t resist .
 Stavros_Flatery   Stavros Flatery 
Old 22-Apr-2006, 01:34   #23
Bleh
posts for a living
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Yeah he took the side of his case off and let a Bee out LOL .

Soz couldn`t resist .

Go Back   trickery.net > Technical > Hardware