trickery.net  

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Forumless Games

Old 23-Aug-2006, 13:36   #1
Armyof1BA
flame fodder
Armyof1BA will become famous soon enough
Rant about the gaming industry in general!!!

Hi Guys,

Being the avid gamer that I am. Im dissapointed at the current shitty state of the gaming industry. Gaming shows and to some degree gaming mags have lost there way. Even in the days of Gamesmaster which I enjoyed, it still didn't tick all the boxes. Why is it that the people they got to play on the show where either kiddie winks or people that knew nothing about games. Shows like Bits and Thumb bandits where not really that informative and concentrated on the flavour of the week far too much. And dont get me started on cybernet. PC gamer and PC zone, glossy gaming mags seem to be moving down the hype path certain games are given massive scores just because of there affiliation to gaming history eg, Half life 2 was a good game but it wasn't spectacular compared to its predecessor but garnered a high 90% score because its 'Half Life2' the sequel to one of the greatest games of all time. Doom 3 follows the same suit, massive 90% + score because its doom, but underneath the fantastic graphics engine its a generic shooter. I know people say its a homage to the old doom. But we have moved on since then, lets focus on gameplay ffs. I can't believe in this day and age with an industry worth billions we can't sort out AI singleplayer gaming. I mean jesus christ I have played some games with woefull AI, but the excuse seems to be well its got great graphics and sound so lets give it a high score. Far cry and Deus ex pushed the envelope lets spend so more time advancing that aspect of gaming.

Deep Breath ' Multiplayer!!!' when the hell are game creators gonna realise CO-OP is the way forward not bloody deathmatch!!!!!!. Ok I know deathmatch can be fun and a lot of people enjoy it im not dissing u guys. Its just that CO-OP play IMO is the way forward. Think about it how much fun is it play through a well designed game with your mates. Halo, Starlancer, NOLF, OFP, Codename outbreak to name a few. Ok the graphics in some of those werent cutting edge but did you care after an hour watching your mates back? Blowing up a spacesatation from the inside then screaming down the voice comms telling everyone to get out as it explodes, everyone grinning for a job well done. Then kicking back with a fag as you watch a bit of fmv before wiping the sweat of our hands and diving back in. The push on graphics and sound is great but gameplay seems to be forgotten. Now things like th Xbox 360 and PS3 are all pushing the lets play together message. So why not lets play together working as a team or a squadron in game that has great AI an excellent story and good graphics and sound to immerse your senses. The industry makes so much money why not!!!! we have the talent, creators, graphics engines, composers whats the problem. Cs has its place as does BF2 etc. But why can't a group of mates take part in an Epic high glossy action adventure as a team where enemy AI reacts accordingly!!!.

So to conclude, We have the money, graphics, sound, creators, gamers lets push the gameplay. Gaming shows employ real gamers not social rejects ' Iian Lee' anyone? Gaming Mags have the balls to say what you really think. EA games, Eidos, Sierra, Bill Gates, Warren Spector, John Romero, John Williams , Steven Spielberg etc etc get in a room together and sort out the industry please !!!!

I wish!!!
Old 23-Aug-2006, 14:06   #2
Mr_Skiff
Under The Thumb
Mr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond reputeMr_Skiff has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting read, you certaintly feel strong about this subject

I agree with you about the co-op side of things, I used to play DOOM co-op exclusively on the schools network back in the early 90's and it beat deathmatch hands down. There was nothing better than 4 of you trying to chainsaw a "Baron Of Hell" to death and getting slapped against a wall amongst all the screams and carnage.

That was the good old days, then there was Duke 3D and the co-op on that was fantastic too, it seems that as time goes on the co-op option is dropping from all the new games menus. There are certain mod communities that feel the same way and try to slap together a co-op mod (Doom 3 co-op for example)

The cold hard truth though is that the mass's want a deathmatch game, there is only a certain amount of times you and a mate can whip the AI until it gets repetitive and boring, thats when deathmatch or multiplayer comes in. With you facing another human player the posibilities are endless to what might happen, its a test of your skill versus his/hers and its far more exciting than playing some scripted AI. I've only touched first person shooters with the above paragraphs but the same goes for all manner of games, RTS, sims and sports etc.

I think when a games developer finally creates the be all and end all AI then we will see co-op coming back into the mainstream. A AI that will take a group of mates to beat because its that good, the sort of AI that thinks like a human, this is quite far off though imho.

Nice rant though
Old 23-Aug-2006, 14:57   #3
NWA
Fish Schnapps
NWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond reputeNWA has a reputation beyond repute
CO-OP is a decidedly care bear option... It's good in that it's never going to inspire arguments amongst the players other than maybe "that was my kill", and it doesn't really encourage cheating as much, but it also doesn't have anywhere near as much of the competitive spirit multiplayer games are really good for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBaby
If Rooney kicks a ball at the World Cup then I will eat my underpants
Send a message via ICQ to NWA Send a message via MSN to NWA
Old 23-Aug-2006, 14:58   #4
Napoleon
8===D~~~
Napoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond reputeNapoleon has a reputation beyond repute
CS ftw tbh. Co-op is for consoles.
Old 23-Aug-2006, 15:45   #5
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
RAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond repute
Ah, CO-OP Starlancer! The memories.....

/me sighs wistfully
Old 23-Aug-2006, 15:51   #6
Harry Palmer
Gun nut
Harry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeHarry Palmer has a reputation beyond repute
co-op Gauntlet - full of top-down viewing fun and a seemingly endless number of levels...

Reminder: "Do not look into laser with remaining good eye."
 Lupins 
Old 23-Aug-2006, 16:13   #7
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPTOR192
Ah, CO-OP Starlancer! The memories.....

/me sighs wistfully

Those where the days

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 23-Aug-2006, 17:57   #8
Armyof1BA
flame fodder
Armyof1BA will become famous soon enough
Thanks for your comments people, but the thing is games creators have the money and skill to satisfy everyone but they choose not to. CO-OP as much as I love it is just another aspect of gaming that needs some money thrown at it. There are many people who love playing through games together with there mates. There are mods and stuff but its always an after thought
Old 23-Aug-2006, 18:09   #9
Ashen
Lord of the Light Skins
Ashen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond reputeAshen has a reputation beyond repute
Have to say ghost recon is fab on CO-OP

The problem with Co-opis the people you play with a good group of people your all fine and dandy...one nob jocky and the whole thing fulls apart

Quote:
I walked outside and took mother natures load to the face. You can quote me on that! - Raptor192
to Ashen [ash-en]

1.To perform an amazing act without witness.
2.To have the worst of luck when playing in groups, although having the best intentions an act occurs which usually results in multiple deaths, maimings or destruction of property.
Old 23-Aug-2006, 20:11   #10
RAPTOR192
Hodor, Hodor, Hodor!
RAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond reputeRAPTOR192 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen
Have to say ghost recon is fab on CO-OP

The problem with Co-opis the people you play with a good group of people your all fine and dandy...one nob jocky and the whole thing fulls apart

/me points finger at mike.
Old 23-Aug-2006, 20:16   #11
Lungboy
Roboplegic Wrongcock
Lungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond reputeLungboy has a reputation beyond repute
Co-op Hidden and Dangerous ruled.
Old 23-Aug-2006, 20:30   #12
Swank
double post spacker
Swank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond reputeSwank has a reputation beyond repute
apparently it's all about the hours of play or something now.. some people compare the price of a game and the hours of play it will give you to watching films etc..

which i think is bollocks... a good game should last a lifetime.. just like a good film should be watched again and again.

i hated it when arcade games started to use timers for game play, ie i pay a quid to play but if i don't do such and such in in so many seconds it's game over.

old 10p arcade games could be either beat and that would be the end, or it chucked you back to the start with a little harder gameplay.

10p could last you hours !

http://www.chickipedia.com/
Send a message via ICQ to Swank Send a message via AIM to Swank
Old 23-Aug-2006, 21:12   #13
Hamspoons
I love lamp
Hamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond reputeHamspoons has a reputation beyond repute
Since its rant time...

One thing pissing me off at the moment, is the games industry putting visuals above everything else. I haven't bought a 360 and am not likely to for a while because every game I have seen so far, I have seen a hundred times before, but with flashier graphics. The montage videos of upcoming games I saw from E3, for all the systems, appears to be a whole lot of visual masturbation and nothing else.

At the moment, inspiration for the games developers seems to be coming from the likes of Micheal Bay or (to be fair) James Cameron. I don't see any developers taking any inspiration from someone like say Jim Jarmusch or Stanley Kubrick.

Where are the developers and designers who want to express something a bit more personal, something a bit more challenging.

I donít think gaming is in its infancy any longer, itís moved on to the puberty stricken, attention hungry teenage years. Hopefully, when graphics reach the point of photo realism, the playing field will be levelled a bit to make way for ideas and content over presentation. Maybe then we can move away from the gaming of massive explosions and on to something a bit different.

Don't get me wrong, I like the action games as much as the next person, but I don't want it repeated in every game I buy.

I think the biggest hurdle for games is in emotional attachment. It's what seriously lacking from almost every game out there. Where's a players emotional connection with characters? where are the unique situatons? With the new generation of platforms, where are the actual next generation games?

There needs to be a bigger push to get professional from outside of the industry involved in the development process. Give the stories to writers who are capable of achieving something more than a muscle bound hero saving the world. Again. Give the lines to actors who can deliver in more then two emotions.

I've never played it, but Final Fantasy 7 is a game that is regularly held up as a game that made people cry. The suprising thing isn't that a bunch of polygons brought people to tears, it's that only ONE game can be held up as a prime example of gaming effecting people on that level. One game in near three decades.

Go Back   trickery.net > Games Extra > Forumless Games